PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area FFL that doesn't hit you with tax?

SiegeX
01-07-2013, 5:46 PM
For the last few years I've been using Roger's Relics to do all my FFL transfers and I just called them up about an AR that will be transferred shortly and asked them what the transfer cost was and Roger told me "$65 plus tax" This is the first time they've every mentioned sales tax and I've already been hit with a $200 fed tax for a complete rifle build and I don't feel like getting hit with another $200.

Has anybody done a long gun transfer in the very recent past from somebody near the south bay who does not hit you up for tax? If so, I would appreciate their contact info -- PMs are fine if you feel this is sensitive info.

Thanks!

btm
01-07-2013, 6:33 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about that until you get clarification. PTP shouldn't have tax on the firearm. Consignment does, as does retail.

You might pay tax on the difference between DROS and the transfer fee - I just did, it was $.78 - that's tax on $10.

ke6guj
01-07-2013, 6:36 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about that until you get clarification. PTP shouldn't have tax on the firearm. Consignment does, as does retail.

You might pay tax on the difference between DROS and the transfer fee - I just did, it was $.78 - that's tax on $10.
OP mentioned a $65 fee, that means that it is a transfer, not a PPT/cosignment.

as such, CA's BoE has opined that the dealer is responsible to collect sales tax on the transfer.

taio
01-27-2013, 3:19 AM
""""*NOTE: As of November 1, 2011 the California Board of Equalization is requiring CA Firearm Dealers to collect CA Sales Tax on firearms purchased out of state and shipped to them for transfer. To view a copy of the letter from the BOE regarding this matter please CLICK HERE.""""""""

looks like this applies to all dealers in CA?

SiegeX
01-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Well, that explains why I didn't get hit with tax on my last purchase.