PDA

View Full Version : Gun transport question

SFCRangerDoc
01-07-2013, 5:20 PM
So I have a legality question:

Lets say I have a pickup truck with a lockable shell that completely isolates the bed from the rest of the car. I know with transport rules that in a Gun Free School Zone you must have the guns in a locked case courtesy of Federal Law. Now, lets say I have my guns in official cases, but they're not locked. However, I have the cases themselves locked in the bed of my truck completely isolated from human interaction. I have always been under the impression that this was considered completely legal because the covered bed of the truck is locked and inaccessible...thus making the back of said truck effectively a large locked case. Can anybody confirm/deny this? With all this school shooting crap, if I were to get stopped by the cops with guns in unlocked cases, but they were locked in the isolated bed of the truck, could they prosecute me if they so felt for violating the GFSZ laws.

Doc

SFCRangerDoc
01-07-2013, 6:49 PM
Bump

Cnynrat
01-07-2013, 6:56 PM
Assuming you don't have a pass thru window from the cab I would say the back of your truck is the equivalent of a trunk in a passenger car.

stix213
01-07-2013, 7:23 PM
Make sure your tail gate can't go down, or you don't have any other way to access the contents of the truck bed other than unlocking with your key or combo lock. Assuming you don't have any problems there, it sounds good to go for me.

wjc
01-07-2013, 7:26 PM
Don't forget there is a separate California Gun Free Zone law with different requirements.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

BKinzey
01-07-2013, 11:43 PM
If you were stopped by the police, why would you open the back of your truck up? What would be their probable cause to search the back of your truck?

Danz la Nuit
01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
If you were stopped by the police, why would you open the back of your truck up? What would be their probable cause to search the back of your truck?

Never forget that a cop can easily lie and claim their dog "alerted" and you have no way of challenging it, and a court will accept it.