View Full Version : Santa Margarita Gun Club Suspended From Camp Pendleton??

08-27-2007, 5:57 AM
From the National Match.us site:

All civilian matches at Camp Pendleton have been suspended for the foreseeable future. Apparently the Grand High Poobah (civilian-retired Marine) in charge of Longrifle (the communications and logistic command center at C.P.) has deemed Santa Margarita Gun Club unfit to continue our monthly pain in the @$$ (for him) and has been casting about for any and all reasons to scuttle us. He's latched onto some bureaucratic minutiae about a monthly shooting manifest which is a total of all shots downrange into the berm. Also, that we had a junior downrange in the pits (gasp!).

This toad sucking twit has been making life miserable for the club for over a year and it seems he has finally pulled the plug on life support and is holding the pillow to muffle the screams.
All of the sarcasm aside . . .

Can anyone else confirm this??

I've noticed the SMGC website has been down for some time now and now this.

This will be quite a loss to those of us down in ((the REAL (if you can't see Mexico from the Kitchen Window, your not South enough) SOCAL)):chris: area as it was one of the few places available to shoot at 600 yds.

And how will this effect the Navy Matches??

08-27-2007, 7:04 AM
I'm still waiting for more info via email. I haven't heard anything, yet. I think they're trying to sort things out (hopefully).

Hopefully Dennis DeMille gets involved since he does have a lot sway (Creedmoor Sports GM, Retired Marine CWO, former National Champion, one of the best HP shooters, etc).

As far as Navy Matches, they're not part of the SMGC. So the fact that the SMGC currently can't use Wilcox 103 won't affect the Navy Match officials from allowing civilians.

As far as the guy who posted that notice on the NM forums, I didn't care for the sarcasm. It's not very beneficial to the HP community to post in that type of tone.

08-27-2007, 8:41 AM
Range 102 is operational for conventional outdoor pistol. Next match there is Sept 16th and put on by smgc.

08-27-2007, 9:33 AM
I doubt DeMille can do anything about it since he's retired. Sure, he was the NCOIC when he was active duty, but things change. The Creedmoor Cup was moved to Ben Avery. I'm sure there were other things that went on behind the scenes besides what was disclosed to us.

ocabj, I'll have to check out the thread on Nationalmatch, maybe lay a smackdown if need be...

08-27-2007, 10:34 AM
To All,

Dennis posted this on the National Match site:

Looks like things weren't as bad as the original poster had said:

"Hey guys,

Slow down. The club is not dead and with the exception of the August match (last weekend) all matches are still going ahead as planned.

Here is EXACTLY what happened: The base Range Control Officer pulled the RSO cards from two of our four authorized RSO's. We will be arguring the reasons with them, but for now we still have two other RSO's we can use. The two individuals that had their cards suspended can get them back by simply attending another RSO course the first week in September.

While it might be true that someone doesn't like us shooting on base, we can't trash them in forums like this. I'm working with people trying to resolve the situation. Threads like this are no help at all. If this thread makes it to the base CG's office we really could be in deep trouble. I'm asking ASA to pull this thread and post something saying that the match schedule is back on track and that the situation was blown way out of proportion. If that changes, we'll post something.

Sorry for getting everyone (well everyone that this effected) all rilled up over nothing.

Which reminds me I really ought to get my butt up to CP and take the RSO test.

Back to your regularly scheduled lunchtime activities.

08-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, we've already been bent over once concerning the Creedmoor Cup, some CA shooters are on hair-triggers right now.

It's good DeMille shed some light on the subject.