PDA

View Full Version : County Supervisor Issued .45 from Sheriff Dept

spencerhut
08-27-2007, 5:08 AM
You guys will love this. In Fresno county Supervisor Bob Waterson asked for, twice, and finally got a .45 S&W "Chiefs Special" issued to him from the Fresno Sheriffs Department to CCW. Waterson apparently wanted to "arm himself against angry constituents". Wow, does that mean we can get issued a .45 too? I doubt it, at best we'll get a "Peasant Special" single shot .22 Short to arm ourselves against the elected officials. This guy is a real piece of work.
Here is the entire article.
http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/121996.html

Crazed_SS
08-27-2007, 5:23 AM
"This is no different from a laptop. This is no different from a car."

Heh.. sounds like something you'd hear on a gun message board :)

spencerhut
08-27-2007, 5:44 AM
Yeah, I actually like the logic he's using for it. But I have a bit of a problem with the Sheriff Dept arming the county elite to protect themselves from the masses. I don't see the point. The politicians already have the Army, I mean the local police that act like, dress like, are armed like and trained like the Army to protect them.

Piper
08-27-2007, 6:00 AM
This is just another example of a politician that considers himself above the rest of us. The term public servant is a euphamism for public consumption, but has nothing to do with actual service. They consider themselves more as rulers.

hitnrun
08-27-2007, 6:17 AM
The politicians already have the Army, I mean the local police that act like, dress like, are armed like and trained like the Army to protect them.

Yikes! Where do you live??

Army to protect who by the way? I voted for the "other" guy!:D

paladin4415
08-27-2007, 6:27 AM
The politicians already have the Army, I mean the local police that act like, dress like, are armed like and trained like the Army to protect them.

Wow...and here I am thinking they were there to protect everybody.

spencerhut
08-27-2007, 7:06 AM
The various incarnations of the Fresno PD gang enforcement units are about as gestapo as you can get. There have been numerous stories about them in the local and national news in the past. I have a personal friend (female) that was threated by the (drunk) head of the gang unit in a local club. Then the rest of the Fresno PD that responded to her 911 call tried to talk her out of doing anything about it with more threats. I posted about it here when it happened.

hitnrun
08-27-2007, 7:53 AM
The various incarnations of the Fresno PD gang enforcement units are about as gestapo as you can get. There have been numerous stories about them in the local and national news in the past. I have a personal friend (female) that was threated by the (drunk) head of the gang unit in a local club. Then the rest of the Fresno PD that responded to her 911 call tried to talk her out of doing anything about it with more threats. I posted about it here when it happened.

OH okay! When you put it like that...that does pretty much sum up all LE then. I guess that blanket statement still stands. :rolleyes:

dfletcher
08-27-2007, 8:29 AM
I don't know that I'd go shopping @ Herb Bauer's - $825.00 for the Chief's Special - isn't that a little steep?

spencerhut
08-27-2007, 9:54 AM
OH okay! When you put it like that...that does pretty much sum up all LE then. I guess that blanket statement still stands. :rolleyes:

So is it your opinion that police have not been heavily influenced by the military?

Kestryll
08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Let's not turn this in to yet another 'Us vs. Them' cop thread, there have been enough of those already and none of them are worth a damn anyway.

On to more important issues, how widespread is this information in the area it is happening? How can it be made more widespread?
This is the kind of favoritism and eliteism that needs to be brought to the public's attention, it may not get eveyone upset but even one more aware and displeased is helpful.

hitnrun
08-27-2007, 10:09 AM
So is it your opinion that police have not been heavily influenced by the military?

I certainly haven't been. I am my own person each and every time I go to work. I have no agenda and I have no elitist thoughts. I just go to work trying to do the best job that I can without getting myself killed. As do all of the cops I have ever met and worked with....security guards, now that's a separate issue. :D

And I agree with Kes, the idea of a public figure getting a CCW when a normal person can't is BS. It should be made an issue of and cops aren't the ones that should be blamed. You can blame the Sheriff (aka politician), and a county supervisor is his boss, "technically speaking," after the people. However, the people generally don't control the funding of his department and don't usually golf with him on Sundays and therefore get less consideration for "favors." That is ALL political.

spencerhut
08-27-2007, 10:24 AM
On to more important issues, how widespread is this information in the area it is happening? How can it be made more widespread?
This is the kind of favoritism and eliteism that needs to be brought to the public's attention, it may not get eveyone upset but even one more aware and displeased is helpful.

I didn't see any reporting on the local news stations. It was in the paper, not sure how much it was discussed. I'll call the local FOX station and see if they feel like saying anything about it.

StukaJr
08-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't see what the big deal is - if the County official is so adamant about having a firearm, let him have it (unless he's a danger to himself or others, of course)... Fresno is largely a "shall issue" County so it's nowhere as scandalous as Los Angeles or Sacramento official asking for an issue gun...

So, basically, this is a glorified CCW where State picks up the tab for a firearm... I'd be a lot more worried about what kind of vehicle my elected officials get to drive for their daily duties or how much money gets plundered on the pet projects/political favors...

C.G.
08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
If elected officials can get a CCW because of bad constituents, we should be able to get CCW because of bad elected officials.:D

DedEye
08-27-2007, 5:09 PM
If elected officials can get a CCW because of bad constituents, we should be able to get CCW because of bad elected officials.:D

I love this logic :D.

Like other posters, I don't have a problem with him getting a CCW, I have a problem with the sheriff's office giving him a gun.

magsnubby
08-27-2007, 6:03 PM
I don't know that I'd go shopping @ Herb Bauer's - $825.00 for the Chief's Special - isn't that a little steep?

Do NOT buy anything from Herb Barfer's. They're waaaaaay over priced. Go to Gilman-Mayfields or John McCormick's Guns and Ammo.

artherd
08-27-2007, 6:18 PM
Asside from the $825 questionable campaign contribution I MEAN "company" gun, is there any new and pressing issue here?

Piper
08-27-2007, 8:09 PM
And I agree with Kes, the idea of a public figure getting a CCW when a normal person can't is BS. It should be made an issue of and cops aren't the ones that should be blamed. You can blame the Sheriff (aka politician), and a county supervisor is his boss, "technically speaking," after the people. However, the people generally don't control the funding of his department and don't usually golf with him on Sundays and therefore get less consideration for "favors." That is ALL political.

I mentioned this before, but I guess it bears repeating again. The chief of the department I worked for issued only one permit in his time as chief, and that was to his wife. When I heard about this, I decided that unless an indiviual was a crook, I wouldn't enforce any law that prevented a law abiding person from carrying a firearm outside of their home. I didn't verbalize it to anyone, it was my own personal decision to use the discretion I had as a peace officer. No peace officer is compelled under the law to arrest for laws restricting concealed carry and this was my form of civil disobedience to protest the hypocrisy that exists in California. And eventually I decided to support my family another way instead of contributing to the rampant hypocrisy that exists in the California criminal (in)justice system.