PDA

View Full Version : Support for gun control continues to fall

vincewarde
01-07-2013, 3:38 PM
Well, there is some good news. According to Fox News, current support for any increased gun control has fallen from around 65% to 51% - with 49% opposed.

This means that lawmakers will need to think long and hard before incurring the wrath of the pro-gun rights lobby over an issue for which only about half the public now supports. It also mean that much of the support for new gun laws is very, very soft - while opposition is as hard as a rock.

CBruce
01-07-2013, 3:38 PM
Got a better source than FOX?

LMTluvr
01-07-2013, 3:40 PM

Oh right. It's Fox so it must be false...
Maybe msnbc and piers Morgan would be a more reliable source..

FullMetalJacket
01-07-2013, 3:50 PM
Of course support for gun control is going to rise after a truly, truly heinous event like Newton. But one of the reasons we have a republic is so that the people's passions are allowed to settle and reason takes hold before laws are enacted.

A large chunk of the gun control support is temporary and will subside over time; people will move on to other cares. But a large chunk of the gun rights side is implacable: it's going to be there donating money to gun rights causes, supporting the gun industry, and influencing the political system to its favor.

We're going to have to suffer through a lot of bloody shirt waving in a week or two, but I think we're in good shape to hold off any kind of ban. I suspect in the end we'll give something tiny in order to appear conciliatory and gun control will fall out of the national debate again. If there should be another high profile massacre (God forbid!) 5 or 10 years from now, it will be too late; we will be firmly entrenched.

Marthor
01-07-2013, 3:57 PM
Let's keep the pressure up.

When congress works on a bill in January it should have no new gun control laws, but pass national right to carry and end gun free zones. That would be a step in the correct direction.

fpeel
01-07-2013, 3:58 PM

Maybe you trust (shudder) Bloomberg more?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-20/gun-control-support-modest-even-after-school-shooting.html

GaryV
01-07-2013, 3:58 PM

No, but if it is biased on Fox, it'll be biased in our favor, and may not mean much. On the other hand, if it was on MSNBC, then any bias would would be against us, and actually mean that the true results were even more to our advantage.

winnre
01-07-2013, 4:05 PM
The lawmakers had the luxury of the holidays to delay their actions and see what WE THE PEOPLE want to do. Had he turned in weapons in high number then their laws would make sense. But the tide is going the other way and had too much motion to deny.

dieselpower
01-07-2013, 4:08 PM
and if you talk to brady supporters an AWB has the full support of the whole US...

Not surprised Fox stated this. Its probably closest to the truth, but the truth doesn't matter when voting comes... $$$$$ is king.

you people still dont get it...

morfeeis
01-07-2013, 4:17 PM
well it kind of would be, if the less then pro gun people start to fall off the gun grab wagon then it shows more of a decrees in the gun garbing culture of this country.

morfeeis
01-07-2013, 4:18 PM
well it kind of would be, if the less then pro gun people start to fall off the gun grab wagon then it shows more of a decrees in the gun garbing culture of this country.

gregorylucas
01-07-2013, 4:19 PM
Keep up the strong opposition folks!

dustoff31
01-07-2013, 4:39 PM
It doesn't matter what any poll says. The fight against the anti's must continue. Don't slow down. Don't quit. The fight is not over until it's over. Which unfortunately for us is never.

Casey
01-07-2013, 4:41 PM
We need to keep up the pressure until the fat lady sings...and that's gonna be awhile.
Every time you read an anti gun rights piece on the net or in your local paper register and respond with the facts and the truth. We have that going for us, they do not. Short sweet and to the point with no personal insults or derogatory language. That does not mean you can't nail them on their bs really hard. We have something dear to loose ( 2nd rights), they do not. In fact they want it taken away. They are rallying around a current event with an emotional response, we are in for the long haul and rally around our God given rights.

CBruce
01-07-2013, 4:45 PM

Yeah actually it would. Because if MSNC or Piers is saying it's down, it's pretty irrefutable.

Moonshine
01-07-2013, 5:57 PM
Only a very small number of HARD CORE gun control supporters are out there. The majority of Americans have many issues on their mind, gun control is just an occaisional blip on the radar when incidents like sandy hook go down.

On the other hand, gun rights advocates only think about one issue: gun rights. They vote based in this issue and have a very long memmory when someone tries a ban. By 2014 those who supported bans will have long forgotten about it, but gun rights advocates will ensure record mid term turn out to get them out of office.

This is why there hasn't been much gun control recently. The downside to NOT voting for gun control is for a short time the media and constituents will talk trash. But what are they going to do in the mid term election, vote in a pro gun republican? The upside for NOT voting for gun control is that the gun rights advocates don't shift the vote 1-3% costing you the election.

Now that's not to say that there aren't safe seats like Feinstein but look at all the A-, A, and A+ NRA rated Democrats in the Senate... They know the consequences of a "yes" vote on Feinstein's bills.

Dragunov
01-07-2013, 5:58 PM
Maybe msnbc and piers Morgan would be a more reliable source..Well..... THAT was kinda' "Snarky" (And rightfully so!) :p

O'Brien
01-07-2013, 7:36 PM
You can't use the words "lawmakers" and "think" in the same sentence.

Carnivore
01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
The wicked witch is on a roll and will not stop even if there wasn't ANY SUPPORT for gun control. Really? come on I know you all are smarter then this.

Tarn_Helm
01-08-2013, 6:47 AM
Well, there is some good news. According to Fox News, current support for any increased gun control has fallen from around 65% to 51% - with 49% opposed.

This means that lawmakers will need to think long and hard before incurring the wrath of the pro-gun rights lobby over an issue for which only about half the public now supports. It also mean that much of the support for new gun laws is very, very soft - while opposition is as hard as a rock.

"Unexpectedly!" (Or, in Piers Morgan's rendition: "Incredibly!")
:facepalm:
Everyone needs to calm down.
No one is doing anything to our gun rights.

All we have to do is to keep punching back--TWICE AS HARD--with fact, logic, reason, and equanimity, like GOA's Larry Pratt did with that milquetoast, Piers Morgan:

RC4JJWUtzkc

:cool:

zonzin
01-08-2013, 7:03 AM
Watching that video of Morgan almost made me hurl. No wonder we rebelled against England. I will he would just crawl back to that rock he was born under.

Pardueski
01-08-2013, 7:03 AM
All we have to do is to keep punching back--TWICE AS HARD--with fact, logic, reason, and equanimity, like GOA's Larry Pratt did with that milquetoast, Piers Morgan:

I agree with this very much. The American public can be riled up to scapegoat things after a tragedy but the proper response is exactly like what Mr Pratt did. Go into the belly of the beast and fight fear with reason. I was struck by how calmly Mr Pratt responded to Piers Morgan and I certainly hope that other pro-gun organizations respond in kind. We certainly can win this fight but we must present a unified, reasonable and clear message.

choprzrul
01-08-2013, 7:21 AM
I just remind people that gun control has it's roots in severe racism, that the KKK used it, that gun control has killed millions of people in the last 150 years.

choprzrul
01-08-2013, 7:21 AM
I just remind people that gun control has it's roots in severe racism, that the KKK used it, that gun control has killed millions of people in the last 150 years.

SilverTauron
01-08-2013, 7:35 AM
Guys, we need to keep something in mind regarding suport for gun control. People who back that kind of policy tend to be simpleminded, emotionally motivated, or involved in professions which are anti-gun to the core.Sometimes it's all three.As such we won't see activist support for gun control like we do for pro 2A rights.

That said: it is these quiet masses who will vote our rights right out from under us . They'll vote "YES" on an AWB because THEY don't need an AR15, so why should anyone else be allowed to own and shoot them. A small amount media support for gun control is enough to motivate the idiotic and the uninformed to back the wrong side.

SilverTauron
01-08-2013, 7:35 AM
Guys, we need to keep something in mind regarding suport for gun control. People who back that kind of policy tend to be simpleminded, emotionally motivated, or involved in professions which are anti-gun to the core.Sometimes it's all three.As such we won't see activist support for gun control like we do for pro 2A rights.

That said: it is these quiet masses who will vote our rights right out from under us . They'll vote "YES" on an AWB because THEY don't need an AR15, so why should anyone else be allowed to own and shoot them. A small amount media support for gun control is enough to motivate the idiotic and the uninformed to back the wrong side.

donw
01-08-2013, 8:50 AM
Let's keep the pressure up.

When congress works on a bill in January it should have no new gun control laws, but pass national right to carry and end gun free zones. That would be a step in the correct direction.

this is the way to go..

i, for one, am tired of having to defend OUR rights every time some nut runs amuck.

i've said it before and i will say it again...much of the problem in this country is DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE LEGISLATORS...many, if not most, are irrational people, offering irrational solutions, for irrational problems...

just look at the myriad of irrational laws here in California as an example...one that comes to mind is the thumbhole stock as applied to "Assault weapons" or the "Forward mounted, vertical, pistol grip"...makes NO sense at all...

i am NOT certain what the answer is...but i'm reasonably certain we don't have a problem with guns and gun laws, per-se, but a societal behavioral problem that's more related to today's cultural problems involving MENTAL issues in individuals.

trying to get a legislator to accept, or understand, that is usually difficult to achieve due to the emotional factor involved.

pMcW
01-08-2013, 9:23 AM
I just joined GOA after seeing just the first part of this video.

vincewarde
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM

They quoted Gallop as the polling source. So far, the current poll is not on their site, but I highly doubt that they would simply make it up since Gallop could simply deny it. I also doubt that the rest of the media would report such a polling result - especially now.

I did find this on Gallop's site: To Stop Shootings, Americans Focus on Police, Mental Health (http://www.gallup.com/poll/159422/stop-shootings-americans-focus-police-mental-health.aspx)

Note that even in the immediate wake of Newtown, their was more support for armed security at schools and increased mental health care than gun control - and this was before the NRA news conference.

fortdick
01-08-2013, 10:15 AM

This was a gallup poll. Fox is just reporting the results.