PDA

View Full Version : SAF supports 'GUN APPRECIATION DAY' on Jan. 19

Luieburger
01-07-2013, 2:26 PM
Google site search and calguns search found nothing. I'm surprised someone else hasn't posted this.

https://gunappreciationday-psyclone.netdna-ssl.com/media/images/logo.png

SAF made a facebook post that pointed me to the following website:

http://gunappreciationday.com

Maybe we can make the event bigger than the Starbucks Apperciation day or the Chick-fil-a thing?

winnre
01-07-2013, 2:55 PM
Luvit!

Moonshine
01-07-2013, 3:01 PM
Awesome idea, lets provide a convenient opportunity for Dianne Feinstein and our opponents to tell everyone we're crazy and paint themselves as the reasonable ones.

solipsist
01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Awesome idea, lets provide a convenient opportunity for Dianne Feinstein and our opponents to tell everyone we're crazy and paint themselves as the reasonable ones.

:rolleyes:

Like they won't do that anyway.

As opposed to sitting around letting the world go by, I'll take my chances.

gomatty
01-08-2013, 12:30 AM
I was really excited about this but not sure how I feel about it now. Is this about gun rights or is this about gun rights and opposing gay marriage? Three blurbs on the website specifically mention the chic-fil-a opposition to gay marriage rally.

Way to alienate and marginalize an entire segment of support. We can't afford to lose ANY support. Compounding this cause with another volatile one doesn't get us anywhere. Not only does an association like that turn away gays but also turns away women and others who sympathize and support gay marriage.

If you make gays and women choose between the 2nd amendment and gay or women's issues the 2A will lose.

solipsist
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM
I was really excited about this but not sure how I feel about it now. Is this about gun rights or is this about gun rights and opposing gay marriage? Three blurbs on the website specifically mention the chic-fil-a opposition to gay marriage rally.

Way to alienate and marginalize an entire segment of support. We can't afford to lose ANY support. Compounding this cause with another volatile one doesn't get us anywhere. Not only does an association like that turn away gays but also turns away women and others who sympathize and support gay marriage.

If you make gays and women choose between the 2nd amendment and gay or women's issues the 2A will lose.

Don't read between the lines.

gomatty
01-08-2013, 1:42 AM
No lines to read between. It looks pretty easy to draw that conclusion.

Excerpt 1:
"We felt that there needed to be a swift, strong statement, Chick-fil-A style, to show that we're not only here but we're vocal," Gun Appreciation Day chairman and president of Republican new media consulting firm Political Media, Inc., Larry Ward tells Whispers.

A Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day held in August after the restaurant's president made controversial comments on gay marriage drew record sales and customers.

Excerpt 2:
The group is emulating the anti-gay marriage activists who made the Christian fast food chain Chick-fil-A into a national conservative cause with “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.”

Seriously, did someone steal the Republican strategy binder for the 2012 election and think it would be more successful if used for gun rights?

vladbutsky
01-08-2013, 7:09 AM
No lines to read between. It looks pretty easy to draw that conclusion.

Excerpt 1:
"We felt that there needed to be a swift, strong statement, Chick-fil-A style, to show that we're not only here but we're vocal," Gun Appreciation Day chairman and president of Republican new media consulting firm Political Media, Inc., Larry Ward tells Whispers.

A Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day held in August after the restaurant's president made controversial comments on gay marriage drew record sales and customers.

Excerpt 2:
The group is emulating the anti-gay marriage activists who made the Christian fast food chain Chick-fil-A into a national conservative cause with “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.”

Seriously, did someone steal the Republican strategy binder for the 2012 election and think it would be more successful if used for gun rights?

I can't speak for everybody, but for me the "Chick-fil-A day" was not about homosexuals or their rights. It was about freedom of speech and about government trying to use their power to punish business for its management (though in capacity of a private citizen!) exercising the freedom of speech. You don't have to agree or disagree with with gay marriage to appreciate it.

Rock6.3
01-08-2013, 7:13 AM
I wish the event was "Gun Rights Appreciation Day".

This is about rights, not love of firearms.

Luieburger
01-08-2013, 7:56 AM
I can't speak for everybody, but for me the "Chick-fil-A day" was not about homosexuals or their rights. It was about freedom of speech and about government trying to use their power to punish business for its management (though in capacity of a private citizen!) exercising the freedom of speech. You don't have to agree or disagree with with gay marriage to appreciate it.

I agree. I refuse to eat at chic-fil-a, but I understand why they had an appreciation day. When mayors and other public officials are saying that chic-fil-a should be banned from their cities, something is wrong. The media just spun it as gay hate.

I wish the event was "Gun Rights Appreciation Day".

This is about rights, not love of firearms.

I agree. I doubt they'll change it, but I'll contact them and ask anyway.

gomatty
01-08-2013, 9:09 AM

Unfortunately, it was precisely about homosexuals and had very little to do with freedom of speech. I was made clear that it wasn't about supporting the ability to have an opinion it was all about the message. I also think it was due in large part as a backlash to the way the media spun what the man said. But when it came down to it it was a rally against gay marriage not support for the freedom of speech. Obviously, I don't agree with his opinion and it doesn't stop me from heading for the drive thru for a chicken sandwich with a large lemonade (light ice). I also happen to think the entire uproar was completely misguided as it had nothing to do with company policy. The tactic is the same as we're seeing now on this front.

Regardless of what you or I think about it the fact is that there are segments of that population that are gun owners, many who are in a vacillating position where this kind of association will make them turn the other way. The last thing that the gun community needs to do is push away potential supporters who are on fence because of an insulting association. I'm not naive and I realize where much of the pro-gun base is, but that doesn't make it a smart move. So yeah I'm a bit surprised that the SAF ad CCRKBA weren't shrewd enough to keep it a gun rights issue and not complicate it with another delicate issue.

This is a very specific instance but it really paints a much broader picture of the disconnect between gun rights advocates and how they are viewed from the outside. Again, Republicans lost this last election on social issues, there is nothing for the gun-rights community to gain by regurgitating a losing stance that has nothing to do with gun-rights. We've got to be a little more deft than that.

schneiderguy
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
The George Washington quote under the "latest memes" section was never said by him :confused:

People really need to spend two seconds to verify a quote's authenticity before they use it.

Tankhatch
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Good idea, but using the out of context “Chick-fil-A Day” will kill it greatly. Gun ownership support and public gathering is the main message, but to the public, it also looks like some bodies personal agenda was injected to make a secondary statement.

NotEnufGarage
01-08-2013, 1:21 PM

Chick-Fil-A day had nothing to do with where you stick your weenie. It was about Freedom of Speech and freedom for a business to have it's values tolerated by government.

myk
01-08-2013, 1:35 PM
*Sigh* I just HAD to get a job that keeps me working on the weekends. So what's the plan, we just go to our favorite LGS, range or whatever?

guns4funca
01-09-2013, 5:30 PM
:79:

guns4funca

guns4funca

guns4funca
01-09-2013, 5:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAfft7l4wQ