PDA

View Full Version : Gun Free School Zone question

Just.a.guy
01-07-2013, 2:53 PM
A good buddy of mine just moved, and his new house is just down the street from a small, private, christian kindergarten. I'm over at his house a lot, and I often bring a long gun with me. I park my truck on the street in front of his house (around the corner from the school, but still within the 1000 feet). I always transport rifles in a gun case in the back of my SUV regardless, but I think now I have to throw a lock on the case (for driving to his house, and carrying the case across the sidewalk and up his front lawn). Once I'm on his property, I can unlock the case and do whatever else tickles my fancy, I believe.

Am I interpreting this right? Anything special I have to do with ammo in my truck, driving past the school?

Since the long gun GFSZ law is federal, and state law doesn't mention long guns specifically, there's no chance this is a "don't worry about it, CA cops don't enforce federal law, only state law", is there?

I've read the CalGuns wiki on both transporting in CA, as well as the GFSZ page, and those led to my understanding as I do.

Thanks for the help with these stupid laws...

GrizzlyGuy
01-07-2013, 3:02 PM
Your understanding is correct. You don't need to do anything special with the ammo (other than keeping it out of your gun as usual).

As to whether or not local law enforcement will enforce a federal law, why worry about? Slap a lock on your case so that you are in compliance with the law. Whether or not it gets enforced or who enforces it then becomes a non-issue.

stix213
01-07-2013, 5:29 PM
Don't remove the firearm from the locked case until you are on private property that is not publicly accessible. Due to specific case law, a driveway or other public areas of private property could be considered not private.