View Full Version : Where does right to carry stand?

01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
I understand that the courts have been making decisions that generally support the right of citizens to own firearms. Does anyone know of any cases in the process that address the right to bear arms? I have a ccw permit as a retired LEO, but my wife does not. I wanted to get her one and discovered that there is a $67 biannual fee for exercising a right guaranteed by the Constitution. There is no biannual fee for the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure, or to vote, or to exercise my right to free speech.

It just seems to me that we would have something in the works. I was hoping to find out what.

01-07-2013, 12:30 PM
There are multiple California license to carry cases in front of CA9 right now.

01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Richards_v._Prieto for a start.

01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I always hate it when I ask a question and someone gives a generic "yes" answer, when really what you didn't want was a "yes" answer, but an answer with information.

Start here:

Notable cases:
Lu v. Baca
Baker v. Kealoha
Rossow v. Merced County
Scocca v. Smith
Sheridan et al v. Madigan et al
Moore v. Madigan (HUGE WIN!!!)
Kachalsky v. Cacace
Richards v. Prieto
Palmer v. District of Columbia
Peruta v. County of San Diego

There may be more that I missed. Go to the link I posted. You can read each case in detail there.

01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Goto the wiki and goto litigation and look at Richards v Prieto and Peruta v County of SD. There is also a thread which has the oral arguments. Currently waiting decision in those cases which if they follow the law should come out very well for carry.

01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
But just to add and to address your specific point of paying a fee, I don't think that will ever go away.

01-07-2013, 1:26 PM
Thanks for the info!