PDA

View Full Version : Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ATF Firearms Trace Data

SemiAutoSam
08-26-2007, 7:03 PM
Has anyone else seen this ?

Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

ATF Firearms Trace Data

California.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/trace_data/states_and_territories/cy2006-california.pdf

Other states.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/trace_data/index.htm

Can'thavenuthingood
08-26-2007, 8:17 PM
Thats sure a lot of weapons recovered in a year.
None of them are part of a buyback program or firearms turned in.
Thats a bunch of guns recovered, whos losing them?
And 54 Machine guns?

Vick

Bizcuits
08-26-2007, 9:54 PM
I'm betting the "Machine Guns" are actually ARs, AKs and even some of the OLLs... given the icon for the image of the "Machine Guns" is an ar-15. Plus add the ignorance of most people. I remember back during Ruby ridge, when the mini14's were "machine guns".

Boomer1961
08-26-2007, 10:07 PM
YA know not to overstate the obvious...

.....so George Dubya the Junior the 2nd Bush lost a 100,000 firearms that were bought and suppose to go to Iraq.....

.....The ATF seizes 100,000 firearms this last year......

am I the only one to see the connection? :eek:

Stupid Government bureaucracy buys guns for Iraq, another stupid organization seizes them......then a third government organization reports them as missing and no where to be found.....

Rather ironic or IRAQIC.....:D

Crazed_SS
08-27-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm betting the "Machine Guns" are actually ARs, AKs and even some of the OLLs... given the icon for the image of the "Machine Guns" is an ar-15. Plus add the ignorance of most people. I remember back during Ruby ridge, when the mini14's were "machine guns".

I would think those would go in the "Rifles" category.. I know Everyone might think the ATF are all incompetent JBTs, but I'm sure they know the diffence between a semi-auto and full-auto firearm.

Can'thavenuthingood
08-27-2007, 1:11 AM
Yeah I'm thinking they know exaxctly what they are doing by calling the AR types machine guns rather than semi auto.

They are assigning a scary term, machine gun, to a legal weapon by skipping over the semi auto part. The media somewhere or Brady et al will utilize this competent source data to further the control cause. No big deal, its just 1 gun.

They know, but it takes someone in the position of authority to sign off and release the data for public consumption. Whether incompetent or deceitful thats the culprit that has to go.

Vick

Crazed_SS
08-27-2007, 4:55 AM
I think you're focusing too much on the little picture.. When the ATF says "Machinegun", they're not necessarily referring to M-60's or MG-42s. For the ATF, a machinegun could be a full auto MAC-10, AR-15, Uzi, AK, etc .. Full auto guns are pretty rare even in the hands of crooks. It would make sense that only 54 were confiscated out of a total of over 20k.

Can'thavenuthingood
08-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah, that makes better sense. There are probably more than 54 OLL types confiscasted just in California.

Vick

Prc329
08-27-2007, 11:03 AM
I find it interesting that an overwhelming number of guns traced in cali was from cali. I wonder if that holds true for new york.

Prc329
08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Didn't Bloomberg say most of the guns used in crimes in New York came from VA? Looks to me like he is full of crap. 1784 came from new york while 530 came from VA.

CSDGuy
08-27-2007, 5:04 PM
Didn't Bloomberg say most of the guns used in crimes in New York came from VA? Looks to me like he is full of crap. 1784 came from new york while 530 came from VA.

Well, there's NYC... and EVERYWHERE ELSE (including the rest of New York) might as well be VA. ;)

Creeping Incrementalism
08-27-2007, 7:19 PM
Did anyone else note that the "time-to-crime" statistic is about 10 years nation-wide, and 13 years in this state? It is another statistic proving that criminals don't buy firearms with our "lax gun laws", and then go out and commit crimes with them. Rather, guns sit in a closet for 10 years, get taken in a burglary, and are then used by criminals. There is no way a gun could be used for an average of 10-13 years by criminals before it got seized and traced.

54 machineguns sounds reasonable to me. It is only a quarter of one percent. From time to time you hear about modified or smuggled select-fire AKs or full-auto Mac-10s being seized or used in a crime.