PDA

View Full Version : House Defunding of BATFE

skunkbad
01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Is it possible? Saw it in the news.

robertmcm
01-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Well I don't know him either. I will say I am all for defunding the ATF now. Sounds like a great start to me. Where was this guy during Fast & Furious? The ATF has ALREADY done enough for defunding in my book. Lets start with murdering women and children, and military mobilization against citizens.

How easy we forget. In the long run though, hoping for republicans to do anything for us is almost a pipe dream. I'm beginning to think that most are actually part of the problem. I am not one of the third party guys either... I just want a second party....

five.five-six
01-07-2013, 12:20 AM
And what? Roll BATF into homeland security?

:eek: :TFH: :eek:

JoshuaS
01-07-2013, 12:24 AM
To defund the ATF both the House and Senate would have to vote. Bills relating to revenue must originate in the House, but they don't end there. Oh yeah, the president would have to sign too, unless you have 2/3rds of both houses (veto proof)

This is why I found answers among all (except Ron Paul*) Republican nominees to be horse manure concerning presidential powers. "Congress can just defund..." much easier said than done.

*I detest Ron Paul...just a little less than the rest of them though.

NotEnufGarage
01-07-2013, 1:21 AM
To defund the ATF both the House and Senate would have to vote. Bills relating to revenue must originate in the House, but they don't end there. Oh yeah, the president would have to sign too, unless you have 2/3rds of both houses (veto proof)

This is why I found answers among all (except Ron Paul*) Republican nominees to be horse manure concerning presidential powers. "Congress can just defund..." much easier said than done.

*I detest Ron Paul...just a little less than the rest of them though.

The House and Senate are supposed to pass a budget and appropriations bills each year. The funding for a particular department can just be left out of these bills and if the other house doesn't pass it or the president doesn't sign it, the entire agency for that appropriation bill doesn't get funded. Do you think the president would rather sign a bill that doesn't include BATFE funding or veto the bill that funds the entire Justice department?

fizux
01-07-2013, 1:30 AM
I think we are on CR until the end of March. Also, there is this whole debt ceiling thing. There is some leverage.

We are already $17T in the hole. Why not trade a measly $500B of your great-grandkids' money to make the 2A truly inviolate?

LoneYote
01-07-2013, 1:40 AM
The House and Senate are supposed to pass a budget and appropriations bills each year.

They don't even bother trying to pass one anymore. I believe this will be the 4th maybe 5th year in a row....

Apocalypsenerd
01-07-2013, 7:17 AM
Fifth year. Our Democrat House and Senate failed us. The Republican House has put budgets up, but our Senate leader Harry Reid has not brought one up for discussion. The Senate is completely failing in its job now.

Marthor
01-07-2013, 7:31 AM
If Obama signed an executive order before March, then BATF could be defunded in March when they pass the budget for the rest of the year.

If Obama signed an executive order after the March budget deal, then BATF could still be defunded next fiscal year starting October 1st.

In either case, I'm sure the executive order would be fast tracked to the Supreme Court and ruled unconstitutional.

Marthor
01-07-2013, 7:34 AM
Fifth year. Our Democrat House and Senate failed us. The Republican House has put budgets up, but our Senate leader Harry Reid has not brought one up for discussion. The Senate is completely failing in its job now.

Harry Reid did allow the Pesident's budget to be voted on and it was unanimous against it. zero votes.

The normal budget process has fallen apart, because the Senate has failed to pass a budget for over 3 years now even though a budget is required by law.

TATER313
01-07-2013, 9:24 AM
Due to republican majority, and being upset with Obuma raising taxes, and public push there is a good chance the republicans would cut federal spending and dismantling BATFE.

SwissFluCase
01-07-2013, 9:38 AM
Harry Reid did allow the Pesident's budget to be voted on and it was unanimous against it. zero votes.

The normal budget process has fallen apart, because the Senate has failed to pass a budget for over 3 years now even though a budget is required by law.

Gun control is not the only thing they are learning from California...

Regards,

SwissFluCase

donw
01-07-2013, 10:13 AM
IMO...the dem senate will do ANYTHING to protect obama.

bwiese
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
For all those wanting to de-fund the BATF, do you really want gun legal matters to be folded
into an offshoot of Justice/appendage of FBI?

Be careful what you ask for - you might get it.

[No, you really really don't want this.]

a1c
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Seriously, don't get your news there.

sholling
01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
It wouldn't matter if congress defunded the BATF - even if they could. Obama would either transfer the functions to another department or just ignore the defunding the way that Democrats are threatening to ignore the debt ceiling.

Marthor
01-07-2013, 1:44 PM
It wouldn't matter if congress defunded the BATF - even if they could. Obama would either transfer the functions to another department or just ignore the defunding the way that Democrats are threatening to ignore the debt ceiling.

OK, so they re-org it to Homeland let's say. Then they'd have to carve all the funding out of the Homeland budget meaning something else wouldn't be funded instead.

So, when the next round of funding comes along, the House could de-fund that portion of Homeland's budget. So, if they still wanted to do those ATF things, they'd have to cut funding again from somewhere else!

So, maybe a shell game could be played, but it would facilitate spending cuts!! :D

sholling
01-07-2013, 4:57 PM
OK, so they re-org it to Homeland let's say. Then they'd have to carve all the funding out of the Homeland budget meaning something else wouldn't be funded instead.

So, when the next round of funding comes along, the House could de-fund that portion of Homeland's budget. So, if they still wanted to do those ATF things, they'd have to cut funding again from somewhere else!

So, maybe a shell game could be played, but it would facilitate spending cuts!! :D
As I said he may just ignore congress.

dustoff31
01-07-2013, 5:00 PM
Because I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the House alone could accomplish such a thing, I'm wondering if anyone here knows if the House alone could save the day?

Rumors/threats/pipedreams, etc., of congress defunding or eliminating the BATFE have been circulating now and again for at least 30 years. BATFE is still here. They even got an additional letter. (E)

Calgunner739
01-07-2013, 5:06 PM
If Obama signed an executive order before March, then BATF could be defunded in March when they pass the budget for the rest of the year.

If Obama signed an executive order after the March budget deal, then BATF could still be defunded next fiscal year starting October 1st.

In either case, I'm sure the executive order would be fast tracked to the Supreme Court and ruled unconstitutional.

If I recall correctly, last time BATFE came up on the chopping block, WACO happened.

I have lost faith in The Supreme Court after Obamacare.

chris
01-07-2013, 6:21 PM
The House and Senate are supposed to pass a budget and appropriations bills each year.

They don't even bother trying to pass one anymore. I believe this will be the 4th maybe 5th year in a row....

aint that the truth. why should Harry Reid bother with a budget that he is Constitutionaly bound to do.

glocksmith
01-07-2013, 8:55 PM
There are a few Senate Democrats who think the AWB is absurd. Also a few calling for more Pro Gun measures.

Just call your Reps and send letters. Donate to Nra, GOA, Calguns...ect