PDA

View Full Version : How often do you do a full take down style cleaning on your AR?

c good
08-26-2007, 9:02 AM
Was curious. Approximately how many rounds before a complete cleaning (ie disassembly of bolt, etc)? Thanks for any info. c good

JHC
08-26-2007, 9:06 AM
I take the bolt down and clean it every time I return from shooting since I cant stand the idea of leaving all of the fouling in there. The barrel usually goes 1k before a good scrubbing.

Technical Ted
08-26-2007, 9:42 AM
I clean the internals of my uppers after every range trip: scrub the bore; scrub the chamber/locking lugs; wipe out the inside the upper receiver; disassemble the bolt carrier group wipe down and scrub as necessary; wipe down the charging handle.

Mostly I do this to do a visual check for unusual wear.

The lower will get wiped down/swabbed out and lubed every two or three trips.

Roo
08-26-2007, 10:48 AM
After every day at the range I take apart the upper and scrub the bolt, charging handle, bore, and barrel. I lube the lower every third time. As far as taking apart the lower I plan on doing it once a year for a good cleaning.

ar15barrels
08-26-2007, 7:36 PM
About every 6 months I clean the sludge out of the carrier, barrel extension and reciever.
For the 1000+ rounds between cleanings, I just add oil at each match.
A wet AR is a happy AR.
Clean or dirty does not seem to matter.

Pthfndr
08-26-2007, 8:39 PM
About every 6 months I clean the sludge out of the carrier, barrel extension and reciever.
For the 1000+ rounds between cleanings, I just add oil at each match.
A wet AR is a happy AR.
Clean or dirty does not seem to matter.

+1

And never had a failure

ETD1010
08-26-2007, 9:15 PM
I clean mine every time I shoot it.. down to the bolt, extractor pin, carrier.... I can't stand to have a dirty weapon. . .

CSACANNONEER
08-26-2007, 9:19 PM
Am I supposed to clean them? Really, I clean them whenever they get too dirty. It depends on the ammo I'm shooting and how dusty or wet it is.

Whitesmoke
08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Everytime I shoot it.....I spent too many years in the Army to change that habit now.

Giovani X
08-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Every time I go to the range. Lower gets swabbed out and lubed, bbl gets patches until they come out clean. The upper and lugs are cleaned out with q-tips, bolt carier and assembly are taken apart and scrubbed with a soft toothbrush and reassembled using alot...alot of Breakfree CLP. All moving parts get a healthy coat of the CLP. When I pull back on the charging handle and release the bolt carrier forward, I know I'm properly lubed if I see little specs of oil that seem to find thier way out between the upper and lower, leaving little drops of oil on the lower reciver. Wipe down the out side and put it away... after a short fondling session with her of course. She looks so pretty clean.

jjperl
08-26-2007, 10:46 PM
after ever shooting trip

Whitesmoke
08-27-2007, 7:40 AM
Also...remember, the AR is about the easiest rifle to breakdown and clean that I can think of. There is really no reason not to clean it.....

AJAX22
08-27-2007, 8:52 AM
I try to clean after every trip but sometimes I don't have the time.

AR's are prety forgiving.

SemiAutoSam
08-27-2007, 8:55 AM
I clean my AR and FAL, HK, Etc more often than I clean my keyboard. LOL

MrLogan
08-27-2007, 9:11 AM
I break down and clean the AR after every range trip. The Army has engrained this habit in me, and old habits die hard.

guimus
08-27-2007, 9:21 AM
I clean my AR every 2000 rounds whether it needs it or not.

xrMike
08-27-2007, 9:54 AM
Do you guys always use a bronze brush in the barrel when you do a detailed cleaning? I've heard so much conflicting info about Yeah/Neah on that...

On the one hand, bronze is softer than barrel steel, so how could it possibly damage anything (assuming you use it correctly, with bore guide, etc).

But there are several guys at the range who say you should NEVER use a metal brush on your barrel, only cloth patches.

grywlfbg
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
If you're using a bore guide to protect the crown you're not going to hurt anything by using a brass brush. I only brass brush my barrel every 1K rounds or so. After every range trip (which is usually ~200 rounds) I just CLP the barrel w/ a boresnake, pull the BCG apart and wipe down w/ CLP along w/ the locking lugs, rest of upper and whatever of the lower I can get to with a patch.