PDA

View Full Version : Calico range report

lawnrevenge
08-26-2007, 6:40 AM
Went to Calico yesterday. Took two new rifles to try. Both purchased from fellow Cal-gunners. A Chilean Mauser in 7.62 Nato and a Turk Mauser. Also took along my 91/30. We set up a steel target my friend made (6" wide and 1/2" thick) at 100 meters and had another 100 meters to the hill beyond that. I didn't bring the camera so no pics this time. :(
I was shooting off hand, no rest bench table or anything.

The Chilean mauser was a blast to shoot. I was worried about using the small sights but it was hitting the steel consistently. We started shooting out to 200 meters and it was still running like a champ. I would have no problems hunting with this rifle, even with it "tiny" sights. :)

Then I got the Turk mauser out along with the 1953 yugo ammo it came with. The turk shot very well. It's sights weren't that good. If you've got poor vision I could see you cursing it's sights. The Turk ammo was horrible. (It was free so no big deal) I had to double strike every other round and had several leave their primer in the receiver upon extraction. Luckily I brought some greek and romanian 8mm too. The turk was hitting well at the 100 meter but was not close to as accurate as the chilean and it showed at 200 meters. Overall I love the gun :D and will continue to plink with it but it will not go hunting. :( I have other mausers for that that do better out to 200-300 meters.

The 91/30. I love this gun. I brought a variety of Hungarian, Bulgarian, and Czech ammo. I hate Hungarian heavy ball. It does not shoot consistently and does not extract well from my guns. The Bulgarian was exceptional and I hope to get more. It was fairly consistent, loaded and extracted well and was shooting on par with my Chilean Mauser out at 200 meters. The 91/30 has been a great rifle for me, it's sights are quick to use and it has been a good shooter out to 200 meters. I have all the confidence that with a good load it would be a great deer rifle (no matter how big it is):D

Now for the finally! My friend brought his 1911 (SA USGI, unmodified) and I put a few rounds through it. first at 10 yards, then at 200 meters :eek: I was actually able in one magazine to aim on target (being a 36" circle)
I know that the 45 at that distance would not have much power, but we just wanted to hit the target...a sandy spot.

It was a great day, and nice to get out shooting again. Next time were going with a dune buggy to do some more exploring.

Rule .308
08-26-2007, 2:06 PM
Don't kid yourself, if you got popped at 200 yards from that 45 it would still be a banner bad day for sure. Nice report though. So whereabouts did you go shooting out at Calico? I have been out there a couple times with my old man when I was just a kid and have been out there once with my youngest about 12 years ago. I think we ended up driving out through Mule Canyon to the back side and blasting out that way.

lawnrevenge
08-26-2007, 6:51 PM
Don't kid yourself, if you got popped at 200 yards from that 45 it would still be a banner bad day for sure.
Agreed, I just didn't want to have people tell me that shooting that far at game was unethical since I mentioned usefulness for hunting of the rifles. We just headed up mule canyon, same thing. It was too bad that some other shooters had left some junk there, brass and plywood. We got what we could and all our stuff too. The whole broken bottle thing really ticks me off.

Rule .308
08-26-2007, 8:53 PM
I hear ya man, broken glass is forever. Glad to hear somebody else polices their own **** as well as others. I am pretty damn picky about who I take to my shooting spots, nothing chaps me faster the dick heads bringing their crap to the range to blast. We've had too many decent shooting areas that have turned into dumps and been closed down because of it.

lbdrummer3
10-10-2007, 9:14 PM
Calico rocks, been riding and shooting there for about 5 years on a regular basis. I always leave with more junk than I take in and we use targets that are biodegradable (pumpkins + tannerite = big orange cloud of mist hehehe) We also put out tarps for the 1000's of 22 shells that we go through. It really pisses me off when I spend time cleaning up the spot we go to and come back later to find a huge mess.
Anyway, if you guys are up for some mine exploration and you have dirt bikes or quads PM me. I hosting a big Schutzen fest in early November...

Fred

I hear ya man, broken glass is forever. Glad to hear somebody else polices their own **** as well as others. I am pretty damn picky about who I take to my shooting spots, nothing chaps me faster the dick heads bringing their crap to the range to blast. We've had too many decent shooting areas that have turned into dumps and been closed down because of it.

lawnrevenge
10-10-2007, 9:39 PM
I went out to Calico again. Had to test out the Tacoma. Shooting there is great. We set up a little pistol course that was very fun. used clays as targets. It involved safety first (holster gun, safety on, don't run, etc.) Six targets 5 easy to moderate (7-15 yards) and the last one 30 yards away. We timed it and also counted shots taken (every shot over 5 was considered an extra second) We got through the first five easy but the last shot with your adrenaline flowing took a lot of effort. I thought I was gonna get best time when I hit the first five with my first 5 rds. But I used my remaining 20 rds (two reloads) to get that last one. Very fun and I learned how well I shoot under the gun, so to speak. I'll be back out there later this month or early next to kill some pumpkins.
I don't own a dirt bike or quad, my buddy has a Dune buggy we might bring at some point.