PDA

View Full Version : Knife Suggestions

gunace89
01-06-2013, 4:26 PM
So im thinking about pickin up a new knife, and im having problems narrowing down exactly what would be a good buy. Unfortunately, im not real knowledgeable about knives. So im hoping the CG Preppers can help me out. These are my specifications, either:

Price: Under 100$
Use:EDC/Tactical/Survival
Type:Folding
Brands:Gerber/Kershaw/Spyderco/......any other suggestions?

or

Use:Tactical/Survival/Camping/Hiking/BOB
Type:Fixed (bowie style?)
Brands:Gerber/Kerkshaw/K-Bar......any other good ones?

Anyone have positive or negative about any othese brands? Recommendations?

ElvenSoul
01-06-2013, 4:51 PM
Opinel Garden Knife #7 or #8 sworn by hordes of bushcrafters.
Pirce if you look around should be under $15.00

Back it up with a Opinel #12 or #18 Saw
Shoul be under $20

For a little more R. Murphy Skinner based on the famous Canadian Belt Knife. A serious work knife.

Search Ebay for Jeff White...American Hand Forged for under $60...earning a very good rep in the knife world.

gunace89
01-06-2013, 4:56 PM
^^ Awesome thanks, ill take a look at those. I guess I shouldve said I got a gift card to Cabelas, so im looking more towards what they have available. But with that being said, im looking at anything affordable really.

ireload
01-06-2013, 4:57 PM
I've been happy with my Cold Steel SRK. I've chopped and sliced with that knife. Bought it back in 94' and still going strong.

BLC
01-06-2013, 7:18 PM
I have a Ka-Bar and a fixed blade Griptilian, love them both!

FMJBT
01-06-2013, 10:42 PM
For folding knives, I have yet to find anything better than the Boker Plus Kalashnikov 101. Excellent blade geometry on these. The flat ground blade works really well for slicing through heavy material without getting stuck like hollowground blades tend to do. It also carries quite well despite it's size. It's slim profile and deep set pocket clip allow it to ride in the pocket very unobtrusively.

http://www.amazon.com/B%C3%B6ker-01KAL101-BOKER-PLUS-KALASHNIKOV/dp/B001603DV6

For fixed blade knives, I like the Schrade SCHF9 Extreme Survival a lot. Really good ergonomics for a field knife. You can hold it near the back of the handle for chopping, or choke up on it for more detailed work. The 1095 carbon steel blade takes and holds an edge extremely well. This thing just never seems to get dull. At the price these normally go for, you also don't feel bad putting it through some abuse. My only grip with this knife was that one of the handle screws got loose while chopping with it and fell out, lost forever I guess. I had to find a similar metric thread screw to replace it. While I was at it, I lock tited the rest of the handle screws, which I think is a good preventative measure for knives that might see some heavy use.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Extreme-Survival-Carbon/dp/B0033H7VI6

NYT
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
buy a used benchmade on ebay.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cal3gunner
01-07-2013, 9:18 PM
I've had a Benchmade in my pocket for the last ten years.
I have lots of Buck, Kershaw, Gerber, and other knives, but all I carry and use is Benchmade.
Benchmade has great customer service and their products are great.
I like to shop for knives and always like getting new ones, but I havn't found a better lock system the Axis.

64physhy
01-07-2013, 9:25 PM
I like Benchmade. I have several Gerbers, but I rarely carry them because they are so bulky compared to my BM. My folding BM is a Mel Pardue 154CM (older style, not the current one) and it's literally been around the world with me. I also have the non-folding version of the same knife. They hold an edge forever. They were permanently issued to my team when we went to Iraq.

Stan08
01-07-2013, 9:39 PM
Strider or Mad Dog

Stan08
01-07-2013, 9:40 PM
Delete

Stan08
01-07-2013, 9:40 PM
Delete

Ocbc
01-07-2013, 10:08 PM
My next knife purchase will be the SOG Pup Seal Elite. With the partial serrated blade. Nice and light, well balanced. Perfect size, IMO.

jyo
01-07-2013, 11:30 PM
In the price range you mentioned, the Cold Steel SRK is about the best fixed blade out there---for just a few bucks over that, an SRK San Mi blade is available.
I also carry a Spyderco Delica folding knife for the small stuff.

01-08-2013, 5:13 AM
Check out ESEE knives. You can find them Amazon under $100. I have a couple and love them.

NYT
01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
anyone actually read his post? specs requested that it be a folding knife lol.

esee is very nice for a fixed but you'll have trouble finding one for under 100 with a sheath.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Spawn
01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I would recommend the new Cold Steel micro versions of the Recon 1

Paltik
01-08-2013, 4:43 PM
I carry a Leatherman multitool every day and find that most practical for little situations I encounter; for me, the less-capable blades combined with various other tools are more useful than a simple folding knife would be. I own several folding knives and fixed-blade knives, but the only knives I really find myself using are kitchen knives. My folding knives, machete, and "tactical" knives spend their lives in my BOB.

Summers
01-08-2013, 5:37 PM
For almost the last year or so my EDC was been a CRKT M16-12ZE E.R. I love this knife i have used the belt cutter to cut open pants and shirts for quick view. I did make a trip to a junk yard and have cut a few seat belts just to kown if I need to I can if the act was needed. The glass breaker on the butt works just great. I myslef love the blaze orange handle that way if i set down i can see it.

GrumpyTom
01-08-2013, 5:50 PM
I'll second the post on Cold Steel Micro Recon 1, great blade, but really small.

People seem to love the Kershaw skyline (?) as a cheaper EDC

GrumpyTom
01-08-2013, 5:53 PM
I'll second the post on Cold Steel Micro Recon 1, great blade, but really small.

People seem to love the Kershaw skyline (?) as a cheaper EDC

[Variable]
01-08-2013, 6:18 PM
Drop the extra cheddar for the Doug Ritter RSK MK1. It's a Benchmade Griptillian with a thicker, flat ground blade. The back of the blade is flat. It's length and width are right for smacking on to split wood. The grip fits my big hands perfectly with finger and thumb ridges to keep it locked. Compare this to Spyderco's Endura line with flat grips, and smooth finger and thumb curves. My Endura also slipped out of my pocket a few times because of it's flat grips. My loyalty for Spyderco dropped after these factors.

If i were you, I'd read the carry laws here on CG. The MK1 is a folder and from what i read, the length isn't going to get you thrown in the clink. Another good thing is the blade's visibility. Forget about any type of coated blade. Black blades are only cool to you and looks suspicious to cops. I'd also suggest the orange handles cuz they don't seem to spook civilians. Anyway, the blade has a large side profile and is thoroughly intimidating. It says "No, you may not borrow my iphone real quick, holmes."

Sorry for the yappin' but it really it's probably the only folder I'd recommend.
http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk1.htm

As for fixed blades, I've packed an Ontario M9 but it seems like overkill in my hood. The Gerber LMF has good reviews and is easy to tie to a broom handle or stick for spearing.

RuggedJay
01-08-2013, 6:36 PM
Look at the Becker fixed blade. About $60 and good quality steel for the money.

xxINKxx
01-08-2013, 6:58 PM
I've been happy with my Cold Steel SRK. I've chopped and sliced with that knife. Bought it back in 94' and still going strong.

+1.

I just got my SRK in the mail yesterday. Around 70$ from LApolicegear (coulda got it cheaper but forgot to put the 15% code at checkout) All the vids on this thing are impressive. I was using it a lil today and geez, it's amazing for the price. Cuts open truck tires literally like a hot knife through butter.

Ide take a fixed blade over folding in a shtf scenario, unless the fixed is super high quality (gunna be pricey if you really want it to last in a real shtf scenario and take abuse)

JayDeeSacramento
01-08-2013, 7:17 PM
Kershaw Outcast amazing knife and sheath

jbohon
01-08-2013, 7:46 PM
Benchmade Griptillian or the Kershaw Blurr. Best 2 folding knives I've found yet for under $100

jonnyt16
01-08-2013, 8:34 PM
Strider or Mad Dog
Please let me know where you get Strider knives for under $100!!!

emtmark
01-08-2013, 9:24 PM
Please let me know where you get Strider knives for under $100!!!

My ears perked up!

I've had striders, Emerson's, Benchmades, spydercos, Ikoma's, list goes on n on. I carry now every day for at least the last six months a HEST, made by lion steel. It's surrounded by a fair bit of hype but I didn't know that when I got it as a gift. It's a great knife and I like it, sold my RCC and a few others got given away cause I didn't need them anymore.

Oliver_Charles
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Squidward
01-25-2013, 9:34 PM
+1 on the Opinel knives. And, for the money the Mora knives are also very nice.

M1A Rifleman
01-26-2013, 9:51 PM
Gerber manual 06 folder. It's ultra sharp, has a heavy sv30 steel blade, and aluminum handles. Gerber also makes an auto version-the 06 folder.

jeffrice6
01-27-2013, 5:25 AM
Folder: Spyderco Manix xl http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Manix2-Plain-Knife-X-large/dp/B006L6X5SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359292757&sr=8-1&keywords=Spyderco+Manix+xl

Fixed: Swamp Rat RMD http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/company.html

A buck or two over your price range but well worth it! Own & love both... EDC the Manix, & the RMD has replaced mt Esee 6 as my go to camping blade.

kaligaran
01-27-2013, 2:52 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of ESEE knives.
Plus grab a few Moras for around $10-$15 each. At that price I had serious doubts. They are solid though. I actually want to get more of them just to put in every bag I have.

The sarge
01-28-2013, 10:18 PM
I've owned many different brands over the years and most have seen very hard use. I can tell you that right now in my eyes benchmade is second to none but also outside your price range. I have a presidio auto folder that is in my bug out/ field kit. I have a new gerber rescue knife that is my daily carry right now, it was free so we'll see how it holds up. I have a CRKT M-16 that has been around for awhile and has seen some real hard use on several deployments( the edge is a little rough now but tip is still good and the parts are not loose. To give you an idea of how much use its had the bluing on the blade is almost gone. I also have a SOG trident that was given to me. I haven't beat on it to much yet but doesn't seem real well built. Glad I didn't pay for it.

As far as fixed blade goes I'm a K-Bar guy I have a tanto that has been to hell and back(Fallujah is close enough right?) and has been beat badly. It has been used as a hammer, pry bar, can opener, shovel, and anything else you can think of. 20 min on a stone the edge is good as new even though the knife looks like a war relic. This is in my field bag as well and goes with me every time I deploy and every time I'm camping. I love this knife and if I had to pick one to be by my side this is it. No folder can ever compare to a 8 inch fixed blade.

I also always have a multi tool in my kit. I prefer leatherman for this over gerber by a long shot. Out of the past 4 I have had I've broken 3 beyond repair and the last one is in my tool box for odd stuff, however there are 4 leatherman's in my gear now. 1in the shooting bag 1 in each car and 1 in my field bag.

As you can see I like knifes abit and have put some hard use on them. Hope it helps.

Chokoloso
01-29-2013, 12:31 AM
ESEE 4

http://www.knifeworks.com/eseecutlerymodel4.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1UQdi7r3aw

and for cool sheaths:
http://www.godspeedtactical.com/

My everyday carry is a kershaw burr (folding) and I love it. But the ESEE 4 is my survival/SHTF knife

candrews0480
02-01-2013, 9:02 AM
I'm a big fan of the cold steal GI Tanto. Can be had for under $30. For that price you can buy a couple of them and not worry if you break it. Quality is great for the price.

ArmyofMike
02-01-2013, 3:57 PM
You said under $100? I just picked up...OK, it was in my Christmas stocking, a Gerber F.A.S.T. 06 off Ebay brand new for $50 ($60 with shipping) and really like this knife. The G10 grip and finger choles are very comfortable. The knife feels very sturdy and heavy without being cumbersome. The best part of the knife is the Finger Assisted Open. The knife "snaps" out at about 10 degrees into open position, but also has a safety lock in open/closed position. It is 440 steel if I read correctly, but has a VERY sharp edge and the blade size is good for multiple uses. I would highly recommend one.

I call mine my "week-ender" because I don't carry it in my work clothes, but really like it for evenings/weekend use.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/Knives/06-FAST-Knife_31-000216

mmmmmmm Tanto Blade.

sn8kedoc
02-01-2013, 4:01 PM
under 100$ becker bk2 should solve are your fixed blade needs.
under 100$ folder, spyderco paramilitary or cold steel recon 1 in spear or cliff point.

You wanna get pricey look at the Winkler II series of knives they are top notch and used and made specifically for our special forces to boot.

Eldraque
02-01-2013, 4:08 PM
Save yourself time and money. Just buy a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and never look back.

ENTHUSIAST
02-05-2013, 12:47 AM
+1 for a Benchmade Doug Ritter RSK MK1 or Spyderco Paramilitary 2

kaligaran
02-05-2013, 10:50 AM
and for cool sheaths:

Great... thanks alot Chokoloso!!!

like I needed to spend any more money this week...

(omg I want one of each!)

ElvenSoul
02-05-2013, 3:40 PM
In production since Lincoln was in Office

Get the carbon...their stainless sucks

Mercator Black Cat Knife http://www.knifecenter.com/item/K55/Mercator-Solingen-K55-Black-Cat-Knife-German-Carbon-Steel-Army-Issue

Slim and just the right size to be invisible in a back pocket.

Foebia
02-05-2013, 4:26 PM
I got a couple cold steel, recon and ak47. Both nice but the clip is pretty tight on the pocket.

Chokoloso
02-05-2013, 8:58 PM
Great... thanks alot Chokoloso!!!

like I needed to spend any more money this week...

(omg I want one of each!)

your welcome! Toys get more expensive as we age hahaha

Puckinhead
02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
anyone actually read his post? specs requested that it be a folding knife lol.

esee is very nice for a fixed but you'll have trouble finding one for under 100 with a sheath.

That is funny because if you would have read his post his second option would be a fixed knife.:eek:

I like the Gerber LMF myself.

Chokoloso
02-06-2013, 1:13 PM
I like ther LMF also, but the ESSE 4 is around the same size and price and much more durable. The LMF wouldn't be very sturdy for battoning in a survival situation, but I do like the LMF and probably am going to buy one for my collection, haha

bombadillo
02-06-2013, 1:18 PM
Ontario makes a great selection. My blackbird is a heck of a survival knife. I really like my SRK also

skilletboy
02-07-2013, 5:21 PM
So im thinking about pickin up a new knife, and im having problems narrowing down exactly what would be a good buy. Unfortunately, im not real knowledgeable about knives. So im hoping the CG Preppers can help me out. These are my specifications, either:

Use:EDC/Tactical/Survival
Type:Folding
Brands:Gerber/Kershaw/Spyderco/......any other suggestions?

or

Use:Tactical/Survival/Camping/Hiking/BOB
Type:Fixed (bowie style?)
Brands:Gerber/Kerkshaw/K-Bar......any other good ones?

Anyone have positive or negative about any othese brands? Recommendations?

For Fixed... I have a SOG Seal Team Elite.. Its a big boy. 7+ inch blade and thick as hell... Full tang, pretty much indestructable. Amazon has it WITH a kydex sheath for $103.

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-SE37-K-Sheath/dp/B001EICW7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360286216&sr=8-2&keywords=SEAL+TEAM+ELITE

Saw another quote here that they liked the SOG Seal pup elite.. Its a little smaller and more manageable, if you like that better.

One note about the Seal Team Elite - the back edge of the blade has a spined rasp. I actually dont like this it makes it difficult to use with a fire steel rod.

OIFVet03
02-08-2013, 10:58 PM
My personal preference for knives are kukri's. Great tool that makes a great weapon. Great machete's with multiple uses

jeffrice6
02-09-2013, 4:06 AM
and for cool sheaths:

Any first hand experience with these guys?

dadeepend
02-09-2013, 8:54 PM
Ontario makes a great selection. My blackbird is a heck of a survival knife. I really like my SRK also

+1 for the blackbird. Great thought process behind it.

Chokoloso
02-09-2013, 9:35 PM
Any first hand experience with these guys?

A friend has one and loves it, I haven't had the chance to look it over yet. And I havent ordered one yet because the kydex sheath the esee came with is good enough to hold me over until I get extra cash.

But I won't hesitate buying one when I can. Especially after this review I found:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/67515-Review-Godspeed-Tactical-Kydex

Mad Scotsman
02-11-2013, 5:52 PM
Ken Onion Foresight

Topgun863
02-11-2013, 11:43 PM
I carry a Benchmade every day. One of the best folding knives made IMO. They lock up very tight and have a dual lock system (not to mention their axis lock is outstanding to begin with). Kershaw is also great for the price.

Fixed blade, look at ESEE. They make great knives for a reasonable price. They're 1095 carbon steel which is pretty hard, easy to sharpen, and holds an edge. They're powdercoated with micarta handles. Only disadvantage is they will rust on the edge of the blade where its sharpened so you gotta keep them oiled and keep up on them. 1/4" thick blades on the larger models (not sure on the smaller ones might be 3/16" or 1/4"). Higher end knives, you could look at chris reeves, strider, or crusader forge...those are some of the best out there IMO besides having one custom made, but they do come with a price tag.

Biggest parts with a knife is the steel, thickness of the blade and whether or not its full tang on a fixed blade, locking mechanism if its a folder, and comfort. There are hundreds of types of steel out there depending on what you are going to do with your knife and what you expect out of it and there are tradeoffs. Carbon steel is great for a field knife, something you're going to use hard all the time, expect to be easy to sharpen and to be extremely sharp though they can chip because they are hard, they rust, and they might not hold an edge as long although it will likely be sharper. Some steels/alloys to look for that I've liked are: 1095 carbon steel, Crucible 3V, CPM S30V, ATS-34 (Japanese 'stainless steel', very high quality), 154CM (stainless). There are others but those are the ones ive used and liked as far as steel quality in a knife (edge retention, sharpness, ease of sharpening, stain resistance, resilience-ability for the knife to bend or absorb blows instead of break) different steels have more of some of those qualities or less/limited amounts of others.

I'm picky about my knives though so I've had MANY as well as doing a lot of research to figure out what I like for a given situation. Good luck. :)

Paltik
02-12-2013, 2:21 PM
I appreciate your comments, Topgun. Growing up in Asia, I had to carry a machete to school starting in 3rd grade. All the machetes there were made from leaf springs. I came to really love a spring-steel fixed blade for its ability to take an edge and not break.

I'm find myself dumfounded at all the recommendations for stainless steel blades.

jonnyt16
02-12-2013, 6:37 PM
I'm find myself dumfounded at all the recommendations for stainless steel blades.
Are you serious? Have you not heard of VG-10? My Fallkniven A1 knife uses VG-10 stainless steel and it performs just as good if not better than any of my high-carbon blades. In fact, the Swedish Army adopted it as their official survival knife. I'm actually finding it hard to go back to my carbon blades after how much this knife has impressed me. Best of all, I don't have to worry about rust!

Topgun863
02-12-2013, 9:57 PM
I appreciate your comments, Topgun. Growing up in Asia, I had to carry a machete to school starting in 3rd grade. All the machetes there were made from leaf springs. I came to really love a spring-steel fixed blade for its ability to take an edge and not break.

Are you serious? Have you not heard of VG-10? My Fallkniven A1 knife uses VG-10 stainless steel and it performs just as good if not better than any of my high-carbon blades. In fact, the Swedish Army adopted it as their official survival knife. I'm actually finding it hard to go back to my carbon blades after how much this knife has impressed me. Best of all, I don't have to worry about rust!

Stainless does have its place. My Benchmade is a stainless alloy but CM154, but it seems to be one of the better stainless steels IMO plus its a folder and something I use and abuse for work. I dont really want to have to do maintenance on it all the time so it works great for that. But for a fixed blade I would really prefer carbon steel or some sort of alloy steel that is pretty hard, takes and holds a very sharp edge, and is easy to sharpen. I cant speak for the VG-10. Thats a fairly new alloy if I'm not mistaken. I havent seen many knives with that alloy and have yet to use one but I might have to take a look at it. The beauty of knives is they will always continue to advance and come out with different steels as there is pretty much an infinite combination of alloys they can come up with to get certain properties out of a knife. But new alloys with a lot of great properties and that are more difficult to make (or are only made by one small manufacture) are going to tend to be more expensive as well. Unlike standard carbon steel or tool steel (like D2 or 1095), which have a lot of great properties and are fairly inexpensive to make. Many knife makers like those steels because they are so easy to work with compared to some of the more exotic steel alloys.

jeffrice6
02-13-2013, 10:03 PM
A friend has one and loves it, I haven't had the chance to look it over yet. And I havent ordered one yet because the kydex sheath the esee came with is good enough to hold me over until I get extra cash.

But I won't hesitate buying one when I can. Especially after this review I found:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/67515-Review-Godspeed-Tactical-Kydex

Good read, thanks!

Sumo99
02-14-2013, 10:55 AM
I have Benchmade, Spyderco, Cold Steel, CRKT and Sog folders. Of those, my favorites (in your price range are):
-Spyderco Caly 3.5 (paid $105 on Amazon, so it's just a little over your $100). Carries really deep in the pocket and is has a very thin handle. This is my current EDC.
-Spyderco is the Endura4, full flat grind, vg10 blade, under $60.
-My favorite Spyderco is the Para2 (also a little over $100, if you can find one now days), but it's a little big for EDC.
-Coldsteel Recon with clip blade (about $55 on Amazon), it's pretty big for edc, but the tri-ad lock system that Coldsteel uses is supposed to be really strong. This is my backpacking folder.

For fixed:
I like my Ka-Bar Becker BK2. Wouldn't mind getting an Esee one day. I have the Gerber LMFII and its a decent knife, but the serrations suck.

1snakedoc
02-17-2013, 11:45 AM
i have a ESEE knife the number 3, they work great and last.
http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-3.htm there under 100 and they have many sizes.
also ka-bar and buck.

Opticalabyss
03-03-2013, 7:49 PM
-Spyderco is the Endura4, full flat grind, vg10 blade, under $60.

I've been carrying this knife with orange handles for about 6 months everyday and it is my favorite folding knife I have ever owned. Easy to sharpen, and just the right size for tactical/EDC/Combat.

undrcutr
03-04-2013, 1:28 AM
The knife should be 4-6 inches 1/8 thick in my opinion. You really have to try them out to decide what feels best in your hands.

My favorite knife is the new Siebert Bushcraft

The steel is the important part. The 3 best commonly available are:

s30V - Best IMHO. A bit hard to sharpen

154 cm - Pretty much equivalent to s30v except not atomized

1095 - takes an edge well but rusts.

Look on wikipedia for an excellent knife steel comparison.

mcnm
03-04-2013, 5:48 AM
A SOG Flash II or SOG Aegis find their way into my pocket most days.

They're very light weight, half or even a third the weight of some other popular EDC folders.

Decent steel, AUS8 if I'm not mistaken. Love the blade shape of the Flash II.

Assisted opening, yay.

Reasonably priced. Break it, lose it, no biggie. (haven't managed to break mine yet)

And a very deep carry pocket clip, most people won't even notice you are carrying a knife.

laabstract
03-05-2013, 4:15 PM
Here is a list of Survival Fixed Blade Knives I have positive experience with
Ontario Rat 3 ($66.99)
Cold Steel SRK ($79.99)
AK-47 Bayonet ($12.99)

Here are the folders I like
Ontario 8847 RAT Folding Knife ($29.99)
CRKT M16/M21 Series ($29.99)
H&K knives are made by benchmade and a really good way to get a good knife on a budget.

But in my opinion if you want bang for the buck just get a AK-47 Bayonet and retouch up the blade. There is no better or useful survival knife for the money.

Carlisa
03-09-2013, 3:04 PM
You can't search anywhere for quality survival knives without coming across KA-BAR. These knives are tried and true and have so much history and field experience that many won't even consider going with another brand.

DudeDoug2000
03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Cheap knives in fact I'm using one now to rip up carpet have five of em. Glock field knife. They run around 25$ and work. While not "fancy" compared to others they work. I could have bought four for the price of one of my SOG knives. Oh well...

Slicksho3s
03-17-2013, 8:08 PM
i just ordered a HEST. a few friends have been using them for a while and are quite please at the results for a 4in fixed.

1911ShooterPhil
03-17-2013, 8:40 PM
My two favorite fixed blades are the Glock 81 Field Knife and the Ka-Bar Short Plain Edge. They are both well made, durable, relatively easy to sharpen, and inexpensive.

My two favorite folding knives are the Ka-Bar Mule and the Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter Knife. Both are lockback knives, which, at least in my experience and opinion, for a field/work/chore knife is a must. Both knives are very durable, have pocket clips for easy carry, can be sharpened easily, and are inexpensive.

Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil

jonnyt16
03-17-2013, 9:46 PM
If you guys are serious about knives then look no further.... http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=726612

Kanoodler
03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
You might want to spend some time giving a thought as to whether your main focus is survival or EDC. For survival your best blade format is going to be a fixed blade knife, which doesn't have a weak point that folders have. ( The pivot mechanism is potentially the weakest part of a folder) If your focus is EDC, then of course folders are more convenient! Much of your decision will have to go into where you live or where you plan on being when you have the knife with you.

Not knowing which you would need for your situation, I would fall back to the general rule that having a knife is better than not having one.... So my recommendation would be for a stout folding knife of any of the reputable makes that have been mentioned. You could always use a strong folder in a survival environment but more likely it's the knife you would probably have on you if it is your EDC.

As you gain more interest in having a general utility or survival life I would highly recommend adding to your stable by purchasing a strong fixed bladed knife. It's surprising what a small 3-4 inch fixed bladed knife can do!

I would also recommend you try to find a used model down the road. Had you $100 cash instead of a gift card, that same $100 would perhaps buy you an excellent used $150 or $200 knife.

In the price range you mentioned, I am a big fan of Kershaw, Spyderco, and Benchmade. I try to get S30V steel blades when possible.

bombadillo
03-18-2013, 8:58 AM
After all this, just get a bunch of knives, go for broke, and figure out what you like the best. You're out a grand, and have a bunch of knives for the next 20 years. :D