View Full Version : My Letter to Rep. Mike Thompson.

01-06-2013, 2:21 PM
Here is a letter that I wrote to Mike Thompson as I live in Santa Rosa. Please feel free to take and use this again.

I remember that he had opposed micro-stamping in another letter I wrote him long ago but it looks like he's jumped on the bandwagon with all of the other anti-gun folks for this one.

Dear Mr. Thompson,

Recently as events have started to unfold in congress I have decided to contact you to voice my opposition to another federal Assault Weapons Ban in whatever shape that may take. As someone that has contacted you in the past on gun control related issues and know you see the inherent rights the 2nd Amendment contains, I was particularly disturbed by a passage I read in an article contained in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat:

“At the same time, Thompson reiterated his personal opposition to assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, which he has said “have no place on our streets or in our communities.”

The issue I take with this statement is that the term “Assault Weapon” is a political term that refers to a class of weapons that the government would like to restrict from its citizenry and has no actual basis in any functionality what so ever-meaning it is arbitrarily defined. Please reconsider this using terminology and your opinion as it brands a class of semi-automatic firearms commonly used unfairly as being particularly dangerous as opposed to other guns-nothing could be further from the truth.

In the same article I read “But Thompson, a hunter, gun owner and Vietnam combat veteran. “ While these are not directly quotable words from your personal speech I would like to remind you that the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with the natural right to possess and bear firearms-much in the same way the 1st Amendment allows for a wide allowance of speech.

Again I politely ask that you OPPOSE any more federal restrictions on our right to keep and bear arms.

01-06-2013, 3:06 PM
Good letter. Is the same Mike Thopmson that owns the RV dealers?

01-06-2013, 3:49 PM
Good letter. Is the same Mike Thopmson that owns the RV dealers?

I don't know if he has other business's but here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Thompson_(California_politician))'s a link to his Wikipedia article.

Please see this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=672147) thread that prompted this letter.