PDA

View Full Version : Sac Bee front page- Gun Violence in CA

jb7706
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
We actually got a pretty fair article on the front page of the Bee today.

Researchers said that drop has little to do with gun sales, which peaked in California around 1993 as gun crime also hit a high point. For much of the 1990s, guns sales fell while gun injuries also declined.

Instead they say changing demographics, improved law enforcement techniques, stronger laws dictating who can legally buy guns, increasing incarceration rates, and falling gang violence, among other factors, have driven down gun injuries and deaths.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/06/5094557/california-gun-sales-have-risen.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

DrVino
01-06-2013, 1:37 PM
Wait, what about this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/foghorn/cbs-news-more-guns-in-california-fewer-bodies/

Paul S
01-06-2013, 5:16 PM
"Instead they say changing demographics, improved law enforcement techniques, stronger laws dictating who can legally buy guns, increasing incarceration rates, and falling gang violence, among other factors, have driven down gun injuries and deaths."

I wonder where the Sac. Bee got that info? My contacts in LE are speaking of an increase in gang violence statewide. But perhaps the Bee reporter knows more than the guys working the streets. :(

DrVino
01-06-2013, 6:22 PM
"...perhaps the Bee reporter knows more than the guys working the streets. :(

No, silly..... they simply know B E T T E R (said in patronizing tone with eyes shut and eyebrows raised......)

Glock_Toter
01-06-2013, 9:33 PM
They may think they know better but when the 2nd amend goes the 1st will be close behind, just my opinion

DrVino
01-06-2013, 9:42 PM
Thanks to FISA, the 4th is pretty much gone....

cdtx2001
01-07-2013, 4:12 AM
That doesn't sound fair. That also goes against the FBI statistical data.

Figures lie and liars figure, the Sac Bee should know.

CDFingers
01-07-2013, 5:12 AM
I don't think many on this thread actually read the article. I see it as both pro gun and pro California gun owners. The article says that 40% of crime guns are stolen or bought on the street, and another 40% come from the family of the criminal.

quote:

>"It's a lot of first-time buyers," said Bill Sharff, co-owner of STS Guns in Folsom. "Half of the folks coming in here have never owned a gun."

(CDF): See? It also shows gun ownership among first time buyers increasing.

The theme of the whole article is that Californians have bought more guns while seeing the gun death and gun injury rate decline.

That to me looks like some great stats to use if you want to form a cogent argument in favor of civilian gun ownership.

The article does quote a gun shop owner saying that people should get trained. Hardly an infringement. In fact, the "well-regulated" reference in the Second refers to training and drilling, as I see it.

Read the articles, folks. There is no known overdose for learning...

CDFingers

redhead
01-07-2013, 6:45 AM
So, did anyone notice the paragraph that says that the CA legislature will 'probably' introduce legislation to require "regular background checks" for gun owners? Think those that own them illegally will line up for those checks?