View Full Version : Do I legally have to Register a finished 80% lower that will be AR pistol?

01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I have an finished 80% or 100% lower that has been milled i was thinking about turning it into a AR-15 pistol somebody told me that I don't have to register a an AR-15 pistol if I don't want to, it is not required

is this true?

his argument was that registered weapons can very much lead to confiscation, I have personally experienced it

and plus trying to get a serial number engrave on the former 80% lower that is 100% is going to be a hassle

Also would I legally be able to have this unique foregrip on my AR-15, the fore grip is from an Agram 2000 and is curved. the law prohibits vertical fore-grips what about curved fore-grips which would be fused to the Pistol making it non-attachable?

plus I have been out of the loop so I don't know what the current gun laws are in 2013

So anybody have any legal opinions or factual evidence to refute my idea?

01-06-2013, 12:13 PM
answers in your earlier post on this topic (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=672194)

01-06-2013, 2:33 PM
In addition to the comments in your previous thread, you should also be aware of the provisions of Penal Code section 32000(a) making it illegal to manufacture an "Unsafe Handgun." It's possible that you may be able to navigate all of the requirements to get a home built semi-auto through the DOJ approval process, but it would probably be prohibitive.

Some Calgunners have advocated manufacturing a single-shot pistol based on the AR lower and then later converting (or manufacturing) it into a semi-auto. I'd argue that violates 32000(a). I don't have a case so holding and the folks advocating that practice haven't been able to cite a case permitting it. I would not want to be the test case.

01-06-2013, 4:08 PM
if you milled/cnc'd it out yourself you dont have to reg at all unless you're selling it...it's completely legal for it to be unreg is you finish an 80% blank...with everything going on politically i would advise you to just not register it so as far as anyones concerned it does not exist

01-06-2013, 4:08 PM
however if you bought a serialized finished stripped lower you can not convert a rifle into a pistol...the lower would have to have been drosed as a pistol for it to be legal