PDA

View Full Version : Newbie action list to help defend 2A

ES13Raven
01-06-2013, 9:04 AM
For someone who is pro-2A, and wants to help protect our gun rights - what would be a good list of things they can do (in order of importance)?

Help me create the basic list:

1. Register to vote, vote in every election for pro-gun candidates
2. Join the NRA
3. Join other pro-2A groups: SAF, GOA, Firearms Policy Coalition etc.
4. Encourage Family & Friends to join
5. Donate to the NRA-ILA and the other groups
6. Volunteer for these groups
7. Shoot often, enjoy your sport
8. Introduce as many people as you can to shooting, take newbies out

fizux
01-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Use this link to get to Amazon:
Shop42A.com
Tell all your friends to use it also.

darksands
01-06-2013, 10:39 AM
As much as I write to this countries and states leaders, I do not feel it is as effective as educating society through social media. The past two major rebellions started through social media and it is foolish to not use such a tool to defend our rights as well. We write to senators and congressmen and those that have already made up their minds in that arena will not change but educating your friends, neighbors, and family on the issues is a much more effective means of changing the outcome in the future.

Here is what I have been doing:

1: Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler, whatever you have. Share and post all things related to guns that is informative or describes life saving events that involve guns and sometimes some humor and sarcasm towards the anti's arguments. The more positive and logical information that is put up the better. Your friends that are Anti may not read it or believe it but those that are unsure will be more educated. Unfortunately we compete with television and movies when it comes to educating the public on firearms and with social media, it helps balance out what people see. Youtube videos are great as well. It's the new age media and a voice for the people instead of what the television studios decide what they want to show.

2: Invite people out to the range but not to just shoot things, explain that this will be a gathering of people that want to have fun and learn new things and let them know there will be people new to firearms there as well. Steer these people that don't have experience with firearms away from what that see in movies and television. I am trying to get a bunch of South OC suburban moms to go shooting with an instructor. I even offer up my ammo for free to newbies.

3: Join the NRA. Even if you don't agree 100% with them they are the only major organization out there that gets media attention and influences politics. They are our voice in the media.

ervaztec
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
We should develop a cal guns sticky with talking points that refute the anti's arguments with verified facts with links to those facts.

For example:
Anti: "we should ban all _________!"
Response: "What other ban in US history would you model your proposed ban after? Prohibition of alcohol? War on Drugs? Prostitution?" It sounds like you want to create another profit source for drug cartels to smuggle into the US to sell to criminals."

Sure that could be written better but it's true, it's not crazy sounding and will make any logical person stop and think. Every Cal gunner needs to be able to quickly refute any antis emotional argument.

speedrrracer
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
#8 should probably be moved way up the list. Voting is the crux of the issue (your #1 is well-placed) and voting is a numbers game.

Also, I don't see on your list or mentioned above the need to be in contact with your elected officials. Email, write, call, fax. If you have the means, buy yourself a seat at one of their dinners, and speak face-face.

The more messages they receive telling them NOT to vote for gun control, the more likely we won't have to spend big bucks and years unwinding bad law. "..ounce of prevention..." and all that.

ES13Raven
01-06-2013, 4:04 PM
Yes, I will definitely add:
*Shop42a Amazon link
*Write to your Elected Officials, and tell them not to approve of any new gun control legislation