PDA

View Full Version : M44 loose bolt?

emportipor
01-06-2013, 7:30 AM
Just got a hungarian M44, all matching except the bolt. The bolt feels loose. When it is cocked I can flick the charging handle with just a finger to release it, unlike my 91/30 which I need a full hand and it is really tight. Is this normal with M44?

Flyin Brian
01-06-2013, 7:51 AM
They should be the same, but I've got some Mosins with smooth actions and others that are not. I would suspect someone could have cut a few coils off the firing pin spring which could make it loose like that. Try swapping the spring with your 91-30 and see if it is any different.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SoCal Bob
01-06-2013, 8:14 AM
Did you try switching bolts between the 91/30 & M44 to compare?

silaic7
01-07-2013, 2:02 PM
My hungarian M44 is doing the same thing. I ordered a head space gauge to make sure. I read on some internet forum there is a case that the guy just shook the rifle very hard and it releases the charging handle but do not have a problem firing it.

Capybara
01-07-2013, 2:28 PM
I have a '53 Hungarian M44 that is in like new condition. I noticed that the trigger was very light so I did the phone book test. You cock the M44 and drop the butt stock onto a phone but from about a foot or two. If the trigger is released, the gun is dangerous. Mine did. So I ordered a new trigger, sear spring, etc.

The trigger is still light, but it now passes the drop test. My bolt, while it is very loose when pulled up, seems tight enough when I shoot. I have ran about 100 rounds through the gun and it shoots great. The bolt is very smooth as is the trigger. I did check head space when I bought it, it passed fine. Compared to my 91/30, the M44 is much smoother bolt and trigger.

kouye
01-07-2013, 3:29 PM
That's interesting. I've had to modify my 91/30's to have a smoother and lighter trigger. Can't wait for my M44's to arrive and see what I need to do to make the trigger heavier.

Pofoo
01-07-2013, 5:34 PM
Is it loose with a cartredrige in the chamber?
I had the same issue with a 98 Mauser. After a lot of research and comments on verious fourms, I was asked the above question.
With mine, everything was tight with a new shell in the chamber and it shot fine.