PDA

View Full Version : Help me write a message to my representative

emptybottle151
01-05-2013, 9:21 PM
Not the best writer, but wanted to send a half decent one to my congresswomen. This is just a rough draft and wanted some input before I send it off. Most importantly I don't want to come off as a gun nut.

Dear congresswomen,

I am deeply concern with the threat on american's civil rights by gun control. While I was serving in the Marine Corps I was told "The best way to judge a politician is by their stance on gun control, They either see you as a trusted responsible citizen to serve or as a unruly immature peasant to be ruled." I would pry that you would not support to restrict the freedoms that I swore to protect. Restricting privet firearm ownership only creates criminals and victims, and I wish to be neither. As my heart weighs heavy from these recent tragedies my sorrow turns into fear from the knee jerk reactions to disarm the law abiding. The best way to stop someone from doing harm to you with a firearm is to defend yourself with one, just as my rifle kept me alive in Afghanistan. I know the streets of America are not the battle fields of war, but in the moment of threat to one's life the outcomes are the same. Please, instead of looking at an object as the problem lets focus on the short comings of the mental health services in our country and the lack of protection of our children. Thank you.

IXMM
01-05-2013, 9:35 PM
don't forget to mention our freedom and the greatness of this country was won by the armed citizens of usa. be sure to quote yamamoto's "rifle behind every blade of grass."

LoneYote
01-05-2013, 9:38 PM
sent you a PM with some alterations....

penguinofsleep
01-05-2013, 9:48 PM
private***

emptybottle151
01-06-2013, 9:44 PM
Done and sent, thanks guys. If I get a response, I'll post it here.

FrankDux
01-06-2013, 10:01 PM
"The best way to judge a politician is by their stance on gun control, They either see you as a trusted responsible citizen to serve or as a unruly immature peasant to be ruled."

I like that.

BBJohnnyT
01-07-2013, 7:28 AM
Something to keep in mind. The most effective letters are respectful and strong, but brief. Keep it to one paragraph of just 5 or 6 sentences. They get so many that they usually just skim the long ones anyway to try to decipher what the writer wants. So, get to your point of what you want and what you expect your representative to do. Don't try to school them with a wordy history lesson or doctrine.

emptybottle151
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Well she finally got back to me.

Dear EmptyBottle151,

Thank you for writing to share your thoughts on gun ownership. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. Each week, I receive over 2,000 pieces of mail, and it often takes me longer to respond than I would like.

I have always respected the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Americans who observe the law should be allowed to own firearms legally and without harassment. At the same time, I'm haunted by the events that took place in Newtown, Connecticut. Those twenty-six lives were taken from us too early. And not too long ago, a mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado took the lives of six people, injuring 58 others. As I watch my friend and former colleague, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, recover from her injuries sustained just over two years ago in a shooting in Tucson, I must ask myself: what are we doing to prevent these tragedies from happening again?

I believe we can honor the Second Amendment while keeping the deadliest weapons out of our neighborhoods. As a former mental health social worker, I think it's imperative that we make it easier to get treatment for mental illnesses. We need to review our current background check process to ensure that guns are kept out of the wrong hands. I understand your concerns but I do believe that we seriously need to revisit the expiration of the assault weapons and high capacity magazine bans. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for responsible measures that will reduce and hopefully one day prevent senseless acts of violence, while upholding Second Amendment rights for law-abiding Americans.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. As your representative, I both need and value your perspective. Please sign up for my E-Newsletter at my website http://house.gov/susandavis/ if you would like to receive regular updates about what is happening in Congress.

With warm regards,

SUSAN A. DAVIS
Member of Congress

PM720
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
So what she is saying is she supports the 2nd amendement but doesn't mind passing laws that violate it? :facepalm:

Scott

Ferrum
01-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Give her credit... she didn't drop a line about "common sense"!

emptybottle151
02-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I wrote her again:beatdeadhorse5:

Dear emptybottle151,

Thank you for writing with your thoughts about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. Each week, I receive over 2,000 pieces of mail, and it often takes me longer to respond than I would like.

First, I would like to thank you for your courageous service to your country. As a Ranking Member of the Military Personnel Subcommittee, I have been a consistent advocate for our brave men and women in uniform.I would also like to assure you that I have always respected the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Americans who observe the law should be allowed to own firearms legally and without harassment.At the same time, I'm haunted by the events that took place in Newtown, Connecticut, and I believe that a national effort is necessary to ensure that tragedies like this do not happen again.

I believe we can honor the Second Amendment while keeping the deadliest weapons out of our neighborhoods. As a former mental health social worker, I think it's imperative that we make it easier to get treatment for mental illnesses. We need to review our current background check process to ensure that guns are kept out of the wrong hands. I understand your concerns, but I do believe that we seriously need to revisit the expiration of the assault weapons and high capacity magazine bans. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for responsible measures that will reduce and hopefully one day prevent senseless acts of violence, while upholding Second Amendment rights for law-abiding Americans.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. As your representative, I both need and value your perspective. Please sign up for my E-Newsletter at my website http://house.gov/susandavis/ if you would like to receive regular updates about what is happening in Congress.

With warm regards,

SUSAN A. DAVIS
Member of Congress