PDA

View Full Version : Best shooting spots close to the San Fernando Valley?

idlplumb
01-05-2013, 6:28 PM
Anyone know of good spot to go shooting (BLM) close the valley? I have lots of milsurp ammo to shoot and I prefer the serenity of the desert to the range.

Let me know via PM if you don't want to burn out your favorite spot!

Braddah Jay
01-05-2013, 8:05 PM
If you dont mind the drive...The Ridgecrest Gun Range. http://www.rgra.org/home4.htm

idlplumb
01-05-2013, 8:26 PM
That's just a little far. I was hoping to keep the drive to an hour max.

dogcatcher
01-06-2013, 8:53 PM
Best private range I have found.

http://www.desertmarksmen.org/

RoundEye
01-06-2013, 9:02 PM
As far as I know the closest BLM land is not really that close (Barstow) area. If you're looking for a range that allows bi-metal or steel core ammunition, they are unfortunately few and far between. The next Super Secret Zombie Shoot (SSZS) will be taking place in April if you're willing to wait that long.

I have heard in the past that Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall use to allow it, but has since changed their policy since they opened their 100yd range. Buro Canyon in Azusa also allows it depending on the weather conditions and the time of year.

G-forceJunkie
01-06-2013, 9:21 PM
That's just a little far. I was hoping to keep the drive to an hour max.

Doesnt exist.

idlplumb
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM
As far as I know the closest BLM land is not really that close (Barstow) area. If you're looking for a range that allows bi-metal or steel core ammunition, they are unfortunately few and far between. The next Super Secret Zombie Shoot (SSZS) will be taking place in April if you're willing to wait that long.

I have heard in the past that Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall use to allow it, but has since changed their policy since they opened their 100yd range. Buro Canyon in Azusa also allows it depending on the weather conditions and the time of year.

Yup, Oak Tree is a no go. I was there last week and they said lead core/copper jacket/brass cased. The person I spoke to was very specific on that.

I'm willing to go out a little further for some pristine land with long expanses that won't be full of crazy kids drinking and being stupid. Mojave is a good spot I hear? Anywhere specific I should look for or can I just pick a spot and start shooting?

Braddah Jay
01-07-2013, 6:04 PM
I know Ridgecrest is a little far, but its the only range that i know of that charges $25 per year membership and you can shoot just about anything. Just stop in at Guns4US in town to check out the full details or their web site.

At Desert Marksman just make sure your vehicle can handle the off-road conditions to get to the actual range.

JoshuaS
01-07-2013, 7:32 PM

Burro will allow steel/bimetal jacket if it is raining, and maybe when the ground is still literally soaking wet, with puddles and such. And even then no steel core. Ever.

They apparently have had warnings from the NFS over it in the past. It is NFS land, their rules, and for good reason. Just 2 weeks ago they had a fire, some dickwad shooting milsurp at one of the private ranges. Fire. And this with recent rain. The guy also had an illegal gun too and was busted.

If you do shoot steel, make sure it is somewhere safe, e.g. no dry brush

Q.T.Hush
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Any vehicle with air in all 4 tires should have no real problems with the road to the DM range. There are paved roads in Lancaster and Palmdale that are worse.