PDA

View Full Version : Legal question about transporting handgun on person

Jumbi
01-05-2013, 5:45 PM
Question,

Given that it is legal to carry a handgun in CA in a vehicle (penal code 25610) in a designed for firearms locked container, even with ammunition in the magazine, as long as that magazine is not in the magwell of the gun,

...would it also be legal to carry in the same configuration on one's person? say a pocketgun, in a "locked case designed for firearms" worn in a jacket pocket, or even on a belt?

-again, as long as there is no ammunition in the chamber or in the magwell of the gun, is the scenario I am asking about here...

Inquiring minds want to know,
I want to know

Librarian
01-05-2013, 6:16 PM
Yes.

This is known on the forum here as LUCC, Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry.

However, unlike transport in a vehicle, such transport is effectively limited to a set of destinations described in the law.

See the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Jumbi
01-05-2013, 8:38 PM
Ah hah...do homemade movies on my cel phone count? no, just kidding. Thank you for the good info. So basically, unless I am getting fuel, or "offloading fluids" somewhere between the range and home, it sounds like carrying LUCC is a big no-no, correct?

So, to clarify, the destination requirement is not in effect for a locked container in a vehicle, but just for on my person, out of any vehicle....right?

Thank you for your fast response.

Librarian
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Ah hah...do homemade movies on my cel phone count? no, just kidding. Thank you for the good info. So basically, unless I am getting fuel, or "offloading fluids" somewhere between the range and home, it sounds like carrying LUCC is a big no-no, correct?

So, to clarify, the destination requirement is not in effect for a locked container in a vehicle, but just for on my person, out of any vehicle....right?

Thank you for your fast response.

Right, as well as on public transportation like a streetcar or BART, or a bicycle, or even a motorcycle since the usual motorcycle has no 'inside' for a passenger or operator.

Sakiri
01-06-2013, 1:22 AM
Might I add how obnoxiously annoying that sounds?

How do they define the destinations? Like, I don't drive. I can't drive and I never will drive. If I can't get a ride somewhere, I hoof it, and/or I have a bike.

I can't stick a pistol in it's case, lob it into my daypack(I don't carry a purse, everything's in a small backpack - which I can also lock!), lock that stuff up and just hoof it to where I'm going unless I'm headed to a range? Closest range to here would probably take me 8 hours to walk to. *barfs*