PDA

View Full Version : WashPo: White House weighs broad gun-control agenda

trashman
01-05-2013, 1:43 PM
Sounds like a trial balloon to me, but FWIW:

The White House is weighing a far broader and more comprehensive approach to curbing the nationís gun violence than simply reinstating an expired ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition, according to multiple people involved in the administrationís discussions.

A working group led by Vice President Biden is seriously considering measures backed by key law enforcement leaders that would require universal background checks for firearm buyers, track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, strengthen mental health checks, and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the sources said.

Rest of the story here. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-weighs-broad-gun-control-agenda-in-wake-of-newtown-shootings/2013/01/05/d281efe0-5682-11e2-bf3e-76c0a789346f_story.html?hpid=z1)

...what worries me a little is they are leaving the NRA out of the talks completely (at least publicly).

--Neill

MOA1
01-05-2013, 2:08 PM
Still out to lunch. They have no clue how to stop criminals.

Stiffer penalties? What is stiffer than death? What is stiffer than life w/o parole?

How about we stop limiting citizens gun rights.

BTW, what is high capacity ammunition? How the libs slipped the high capacity term in there was pretty sneaky. How can you trust people that are sneaky like that.

No data base. How about we reinstate a mental health program for those that need it. As it is the mental health programs are hard to access, I know a guy that needs help badly and he is not getting it. He wants help.

Clowns. all of em.

Window_Seat
01-05-2013, 2:24 PM
While I'm not convinced, I'm somewhat hopeful that these pinheads in Washington will finally realize that a ban on anything "cannot pass Constitutional mustard" (Crane, 2005).

Erik.

JDoe
01-05-2013, 2:25 PM
A stiffer penalty probably would have made Adam reconsider carrying firearms through a school zone to commit MURDER.

...and then commit suicide.

Stiffer penalties, that will make suicidal killers reconsider murder before offing themselves.

DannyInSoCal
01-05-2013, 2:40 PM
Make it REALLY illegal to murder children.

Brilliant.

speedrrracer
01-05-2013, 2:40 PM
...what worries me a little is they are leaving the NRA out of the talks completely (at least publicly).

First, the NRA can't truly be left out, because they have money, and they have supporters who will accept the NRA's guidance and call their Congressmen, complain, and vote in different Congressmen if necessary. The only thing that matters is how the votes are cast, and that's where the NRA's influence will be felt.

Second, of course the NRA isn't going to get invited. Two reasons: the NRA is not popular with the political base of the current administration, and because this administration is not currently interested in a bipartisan solution -- they're going to test the waters, and see if they can ram something through before the bodies get cold.

Should it fail, maybe we'll see something different, but probably still no NRA -- too unsavory for the people who donate big $$$ to the Dems, such as Hollywood, and the urban elite.

None of it matters if the House Repubs stick together and say, "NO" to gun control.

victor1echo
01-05-2013, 3:37 PM
In addition to potential legislative proposals, Bidenís group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action, according to interest-group leaders who have discussed options with Biden and key Cabinet secretaries. Possibilities include changes to federal mental-health programs and modernization of gun-tracking efforts by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
From Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-weighs-broad-gun-control-agenda-in-wake-of-newtown-shootings/2013/01/05/d281efe0-5682-11e2-bf3e-76c0a789346f_print.html

:eek:
God help us all.

saki302
01-05-2013, 3:56 PM
I smell lawsuits. Lots of lawsuits.

cdtx2001
01-05-2013, 4:06 PM
I triple dog dare the Dear Leader to sign an EO.

Gura is waiting.

RileyBean
01-05-2013, 4:11 PM
Here it comes. I bet he tries to do lot with EOs.

johnny1290
01-05-2013, 4:39 PM
For the record, the bushes etc signed under 10 EO each term.

Obama signed 900+

That's what I read anyway. I'm sure its close enough to the truth.

Democracy is over.

johnny1290
01-05-2013, 4:40 PM
Gun control is just what you do before you confiscate.

It has nothing to do about stopping crime LOL

CrazyPhuD
01-05-2013, 4:46 PM
Also remember that if Obama can't really just ban imports via executive order anymore. Especially Saigas, etc...why Russia has joined the WTO, if Obama bans import of the rifles but similar domestic versions are allowed then russia can and likely will file a WTO case against the US.

SuperSet
01-05-2013, 9:26 PM
NRA declined request to comment. At this critical time, they should be out in front IMO.

penguinofsleep
01-05-2013, 9:44 PM
Also remember that if Obama can't really just ban imports via executive order anymore. Especially Saigas, etc...why Russia has joined the WTO, if Obama bans import of the rifles but similar domestic versions are allowed then russia can and likely will file a WTO case against the US.

a rare instance where i would want russia to win in a suit against america.

cavemanarms
01-05-2013, 10:54 PM
All I like to say is "MOLON LABE" .

njineermike
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Where are all those posters that were positive Obama and the Dems would NEVER try any new gun bans?

CDFingers
01-06-2013, 4:01 AM
trashman writes:

>...what worries me a little is they are leaving the NRA out of the talks completely (at least publicly).

Do you mean the very same NRA who refused to meet last term with Obama has been shut out of talks?

Golly. Stranger things have happened. ;-)

I have said there were insufficient votes in the House to pass gun bans. I still say that.

There may be a few Republicans in DC who want to keep their seats, so they may vote for universal back ground checks.

CDFingers

Chatterbox
01-06-2013, 8:05 AM

Ehn...no. All an Undersecretary for Arms Control @ Department of State would need to do is call Russian Foreign Ministry and say: "Hey, tell Vladimir we're willing to waive Magnitsky act for a whole bunch of people if that WTO case goes away." And poof, it goes away.

Chatterbox
01-06-2013, 8:09 AM
For the record, the bushes etc signed under 10 EO each term.

Obama signed 900+

That's what I read anyway. I'm sure its close enough to the truth.

Democracy is over.

Yeah, if by "close enough" you mean "not even on the same planet". Both GW and BHO issued about 30-40 EOs per year, on the average.

https://www.federalregister.gov/executive-orders

MEGSDAD
01-06-2013, 8:21 AM
" track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database"
code for complete registration?

tcrpe
01-06-2013, 8:24 AM
Where are all those posters that were positive Obama and the Dems would NEVER try any new gun bans?

They are still here. Look around.

Eldraque
01-06-2013, 8:25 AM
Title should read

"Communist Administration weighing if they can get away with disarming the nation"

sholling
01-06-2013, 8:34 AM
trashman writes:

>...what worries me a little is they are leaving the NRA out of the talks completely (at least publicly).

Do you mean the very same NRA who refused to meet last term with Obama has been shut out of talks?

Golly. Stranger things have happened. ;-)

I have said there were insufficient votes in the House to pass gun bans. I still say that.
So you're saying that after all of your cheerleading for gun grabbing Democrats and the gun grabber in chief your team still may not be able to pass a ban this year? Well look at the bright side you're still young enough to help vote in more gun grabbers in 2014 and 2016.