View Full Version : What does "otherwise CA-legal" mean?

08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Moving to CA from AZ and trying to finalize what guns I have to leave behind and what I can legally bring. For example, my Kel-Tec P3AT .380 auto is not on the DOJ aproved list. Reading the threads here, there seems to be a category of guns that you can bring in when moving here but can't buy here.

I can assume that anything on the approved list is legal. How would I know whether a gun NOT on the approved list is "otherwise CA-legal"?

<<I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. PDF logo [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))>>

08-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Otherwise California legal would mean that the weapon is not an assault weapon under California law.

Just on the topic of handguns...

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

08-25-2007, 7:58 AM
Also note that you can move in to California with any handgun that isn't an assault weapon - regardless of whether it is on the approved list. However, you can't acquire new handguns that aren't on the list after you move here.

08-25-2007, 7:09 PM
Many thanks for the responses!! Kind of like walking a mine field - hard to know where to step.

08-25-2007, 7:11 PM
Don't feel bad. It's stupidly complex but there is a lot of expertise here on the board to help you through.