PDA

View Full Version : What does "otherwise CA-legal" mean?

gspam1
08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Moving to CA from AZ and trying to finalize what guns I have to leave behind and what I can legally bring. For example, my Kel-Tec P3AT .380 auto is not on the DOJ aproved list. Reading the threads here, there seems to be a category of guns that you can bring in when moving here but can't buy here.

I can assume that anything on the approved list is legal. How would I know whether a gun NOT on the approved list is "otherwise CA-legal"?

Thanks!

<<I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. PDF logo [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))>>

blkA4alb
08-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Otherwise California legal would mean that the weapon is not an assault weapon under California law.

Just on the topic of handguns...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

hoffmang
08-25-2007, 7:58 AM
Also note that you can move in to California with any handgun that isn't an assault weapon - regardless of whether it is on the approved list. However, you can't acquire new handguns that aren't on the list after you move here.

-Gene

gspam1
08-25-2007, 7:09 PM
Many thanks for the responses!! Kind of like walking a mine field - hard to know where to step.

hoffmang
08-25-2007, 7:11 PM
Don't feel bad. It's stupidly complex but there is a lot of expertise here on the board to help you through.

-Gene