PDA

View Full Version : Who is worth donating to in the current legal and political fight?

aaronstaple
01-05-2013, 2:17 PM
If there's any time that it's worth supporting pro-gun advocates, it's now. But I'm not sure which organizations I should donate to.

The NRA is an obvious choice. But I am extremely frustrated with them for failing to pursue legal cases that matter. The fact that Heller and McDonald did not come from them is bad, and the fact they even obstructed these cases to some degree is ridiculous. Their public outreach is also abysmal, disasterously so in the current crisis.

My ideal charity would be fighting for all gun rights in three venues:
1) Constitutional law, the best defense against a moral panic
2) The political scene
3) Public opinion, because this is actually far more important than the above
And ideally, they wouldn't have any strange or crackpot beliefs or non-useful political affiliations.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, and even more so, critique of possible choices. I'd like to put my money somewhere it can do the most good.

EDIT: I made a serious factual error in my initial posting that McDonald was not "from" the NRA. In fact, the NRA was a party to this lawsuit, as one of their original post-Heller lawsuits, NRA v Chicago, was merged into this one. I was under the misapprehension that this lawsuit had been driven solely by another organization.

EDIT: I have been informed that the NRA is quite active in the legal arena in California. There's a list of some recent legal victories here: http://blog.crpa.org/?page_id=3690 It's possible that my general impression of the NRA was significantly inaccurate. On the other hand, my overall concerns with their organization still stand.

HowardW56
01-05-2013, 2:20 PM
http://www.firearmspolicy.org/

taperxz
01-05-2013, 3:17 PM

The only problem i see with this site is this: tax deductible donations (from their FAQ section)

No. However, some FPC organizations are 501(c)3 registered nonprofit charities which offer tax deductible donations if made directly to those organizations. Second Amendment Foundation and The Calguns Foundation are such 501(c)3 organizations.

It seems that you may be better off sending your money straight to the org you wish to support. CGF https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=calgunsfnd&id=1 or look here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108030

SAF http://www.saf.org/

GrizzlyGuy
01-05-2013, 7:41 PM
Focus on this:

My ideal charity would be fighting for all gun rights in three venues:

and donate to CGF and SAF.

Note that I did not say "among others", did not inadvertently omit any of the other organizations, and I deliberately put a period at the end of my sentence exactly where I meant for it to be. :)

HowardW56
01-05-2013, 7:47 PM
Focus on this:

Note that I did not say "among others", did not inadvertently omit any of the other organizations, and I deliberately put a period at the end of my sentence exactly where I meant for it to be. :)

:iagree:

Barney Fife
01-05-2013, 7:51 PM
I would say you need to do your own homework and decide who represents your interests best.
Everyone here has preferences but I would not trust anyone to tell you "Donate here" dogmatically. It's your money be wise with it.

Lots of groups out there, some of the loudest IMHO seem to be more about marketing and $ than content and results. Find out who is doing what with the money they have and why. Any reputable org will gladly show you their results, and their budget.

This is my criteria for donating to anything be it charity or political action group.

Again, I would beware of "Rah, rah" posts and ones that want to just railroad you into a check with no real intel.

aaronstaple
01-06-2013, 5:36 PM
Focus on this:

Quite honestly, I think public outreach is far more important than anything else, and the single biggest problem we have right now. Constitutional law is pretty much a bunch of crap. It works the same way as biblical interpretation: it will be read to mean whatever the reader wants it to mean. There's all sorts of systems for understanding the Constitution, but what really matters is the personal politics of the sitting Supreme Court justices. The net result is that if a political faction gets powerful enough, they're going to do what they want, no matter what the Constitution says.

The only long-term way to protect gun ownership is to continue to teach people about guns, particularly the people who wouldn't ordinarily be exposed to guns. Opposition to guns is overwhelmingly statistically associated with people who have no personal exposure to guns; there's virtually noone in the gun community itself calling for gun bans, and almost everyone calling for bans doesn't have the foggiest clue how guns actually work. If guns are to survive in the US, the gun community must grow.

Currently, the trend is for increasing urbanization. Most kids growing up in cities never see guns (except on police, in crime, and in entertainment). Unless these kids are shown guns that they can hold and shoot themselves, they will grow up to be anti-gun.

What I want is an organization that is going to successfully lobby the public, show them what guns really are, and remind them that guns are a legitimate thing for a citizen to own. This is the only way we're going to keep gun rights in the long term, and the only shot at all toward rolling back some of the recent anti-gun changes, such as the 1986 NFA changes.

If I could see a convincing example of such an organization, they would probably receive the lions share of my available funds.

DrDavid
01-06-2013, 5:58 PM

+1!

aaronstaple
01-06-2013, 6:04 PM
Another organization I've seen people mentioning donating to is http://www.hellerfoundation.org/

The problem is the rhetoric on their website seems to be a little bit on the crazy side. It's not that they don't have some good points, but the crazy tends to negatve that.

taperxz
01-06-2013, 6:09 PM

+1!

Donating through this site will not allow me to consider this a tax deductible donation. Why not just donate directly to the 501 c 3 so that i can take advantage of that?

HowardW56
01-06-2013, 6:29 PM
Donating through this site will not allow me to consider this a tax deductible donation. Why not just donate directly to the 501 c 3 so that i can take advantage of that?

If the tax deduction is an issue, you should go through the individual orginizations, but you know that....

taperxz
01-06-2013, 6:36 PM
If the tax deduction is an issue, you should go through the individual orginizations, but you know that....

It also shows that if a tax deduction is not allowed through FPC it is a for profit organization. Or at least considered a payment processing company. Which means that when FPC gives the money to the orgs. they get the the tax write off.

It would also mean that when you contribute to this company, only a portion of what you donated goes to the 501 c 3 of your choice.

Additionally, by signing up with FPC is my information being sold to third parties in order to generate more income?

Alan Gottlieb has been known to do this with his media company.

hoffmang
01-06-2013, 6:45 PM
It also shows that if a tax deduction is not allowed through FPC it is a for profit organization. Or at least considered a payment processing company. Which means that when FPC gives the money to the orgs. they get the the tax write off.

It would also mean that when you contribute to this company, only a portion of what you donated goes to the 501 c 3 of your choice.

Additionally, by signing up with FPC is my information being sold to third parties in order to generate more income?

Donations to FPC go to the 501(c)4 CCRKBA and thus are not tax deductible since that's a organization like CRPA (but without the voting members.) If you want the tax deduction, donate to SAF or CGF. (c)4's can advocate against electing officials in ways that (c)3's can not - hence the reason you'd want to put money in a (c)4 instead.

-Gene

taperxz
01-06-2013, 6:48 PM
Donations to FPC go to the 501(c)4 CCRKBA and thus are not tax deductible since that's a members organization like CRPA. If you want the tax deduction, donate to SAF or CGF.

-Gene

OK i see what what you mean. Thanks for the clarification. I thought they were all 501 c 3. I will always donate to SAF and CGF.

taperxz
01-07-2013, 5:20 PM

Donations to FPC go to the 501(c)4 CCRKBA and thus are not tax deductible since that's a organization like CRPA (but without the voting members.) If you want the tax deduction, donate to SAF or CGF. (c)4's can advocate against electing officials in ways that (c)3's can not - hence the reason you'd want to put money in a (c)4 instead.

-Gene

Would it be possible to clarify what i put in bold in my post? thanks

taperxz
01-07-2013, 8:24 PM
Crickets