PDA

View Full Version : CA ASM Bob Blumenfield Sidewalk Office in Tarzana & Woodland Hills -UPDATE

VAReact
01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I received a mailer from Assemblymember Bob Blumenfield inviting constituents to a "sidewalk office hours" to "bring government to the people". Here is the information, for those interested:

Saturday, January 12th, 2013

10AM-11:30AM
Encino-Tarzana Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library
18231 Ventura Blvd
Tarzana, CA 91356

12PM-1:30PM
West San Fernando Valley CHP Station
5825 De Soto Avenue
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

I've given some thought as to whether this is worth attending, or not. I think we all know how Blumenfield leans on all things gun, but would it be beneficial to attend? I imagine there will be antis there giving their input, and it might be nice to rebut some of their comments. Also, as predicted, the focus on improving mental health issues and accessibility to firearms seems to have all but evaporated. Maybe some comments suggesting a focus on mental health issues would be beneficial? I'm sure there are other 2A angles or issues that others could suggest mentioning.

Your thoughts? Is this worth attending, or not?

GrizzlyGuy
01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Also, as predicted, the focus on improving mental health issues and accessibility to firearms seems to have all but evaporated. Maybe some comments suggesting a focus on mental health issues would be beneficial?

I don't think you should bring up the mental health angle to a state assemblyman. CA laws such as our 5150/5250 are already more than sufficient in that area and have IMHO already gone too far (e.g., you immediately lose your RKBA for 5 years as a result of a 5150, with no judicial involvement required, even if the psychiatrist decides you are no threat to anyone and releases you 10 minutes after you arrive at the mental hospital).

The holes are in some of the other states who don't have anything close to what we have.

VAReact
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't think you should bring up the mental health angle to a state assemblyman. CA laws such as our 5150/5250 are already more than sufficient in that area and have IMHO already gone too far (e.g., you immediately lose your RKBA for 5 years as a result of a 5150, with no judicial involvement required, even if the psychiatrist decides you are no threat to anyone and releases you 10 minutes after you arrive at the mental hospital).

The holes are in some of the other states who don't have anything close to what we have.

Good point, GG. I think I was thinking of the federal fun times upcoming in the OP. Mental health problems have all but disappeared from that discussion. I appreciate your input.

Sully
01-05-2013, 3:21 PM
I think this is a good idea.

I put on my calender to go. Who is going?

I suspect he'll have a LEO present, which is good.
If he needs one, so will our schools,
could a lead observation.

Mental health is an appropriate question.

Which venue would be better 1st or second?

ASM BB is good at talking forever.
It would be good to have many there
to have on topic follow up questions.

Politicians are good at speaking
and saying nothing.

VAReact
01-05-2013, 3:25 PM
I was thinking about going to BOTH events. Glad there is some interest in this.

CitaDeL
01-05-2013, 3:44 PM
If a politician is inviting their constituents to attend, by all means, articulate, responsible, and well presented pro-gunners should participate.

Sully
01-05-2013, 4:25 PM
True

ASM BB usually is in a suit.
I will don a nice shirt and tie.
Have Korean War vet whom ill try to interest to join.

BB now has a bill making sure sidewalk repairs
aren't going to homeowners, at least directly.

I'm not an attorney, and so when I have spoken to BB
And his deputy, it was good to have at least one person,
more is better, to help the ASM keep focus
and commit to an answer with follow up questions.

Am on vacation so can do this.

curtisfong
01-06-2013, 12:27 AM
I'm local. Is there a way to organize this so we are all on the same page?

VAReact
01-06-2013, 7:12 AM
I'm local. Is there a way to organize this so we are all on the same page?
I'd like that. Maybe if we have enough numbers, we can send some to Tarzana, and some to Woodland Hills? I guess I can run with this, if others don't mind. Any interested parties please PM me so we can get some hard numbers together and start coming up with a plan. Please state which event you will be attending. I will be attending the Tarzana event, unless there aren't any people going to the Woodland Hills event, in which case I will go to the Woodland Hills event.

VAReact
01-07-2013, 3:51 PM
bump

Sully
01-07-2013, 6:22 PM
It occurs to me that all of these great letters and essays could be organized and bound in a file either electronic or hard copy, for this particular fight regarding the AR-15 and magazines within the greater 2nd A fight.

Would be nice to provide these well written essays and stats to ASM BB and others as our case.

I am not a attorneyesque speaker...having a hard copy makes thoughts more concrete.

Assaulted, the movie under way, is a good case as were a few recent others and such. Perhaps just handing over John Lott's book....

curtisfong
01-07-2013, 6:32 PM
I can be at the woodland hills event.

I'd love to get a binder of materials :)

VAReact
01-08-2013, 3:42 PM
A few of us are planning to get together either the evening before (this upcoming Friday) or Saturday morning to discuss talking points, etc. Please PM if interested in attending. As for a binder of materials or something similar to give to Blumenfield -maybe that is something we can piece together when we meet? I don't have anything readily handy in this regards. I will try to get something together, if I am able.

VAReact
01-09-2013, 4:58 PM
bump

VAReact
01-11-2013, 9:52 AM
One last bump? This is tomorrow.

VAReact
01-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Just got back from the Tarzana sidewalk office. Sully and I were there -don't know if there were any other calgunners there. Shirt, tie and pants for the both of us. Before the one-on-one discussion with Blumenfield, some elderly woman was ranting the tried and true "guns are bad, mkay?" line. It was slightly encouraging that Blumenfield countered her by stating that mental illness, not firearms are the crux of the problem with mass shootings.

I had about five minutes of face time with Blumenfield -regarding SB 47 (Yee), I gave him the statistic that 4% of all homicides are committed by rifles of ALL types nationally, and ZERO instances of crimes/homicides have been committed in CA with a CA compliant BB-ed semiautomatic modern sporting rifle. A solution in search of a problem. Also stressed the large expense of compensation for +100k rifles (if they were not grandfathered in) the state would incur if it had to purchase them from owners under a ban.

I also reminded him of the incorporation of the 2A to the states, referenced Ezell that activities auxilliary to the right are protected, and that SB 53 (de Leon) would burden the right and face serious legal challenges, likely resulting in the law being overturned.

Hit on a few other points, but those were the main ones. GFSZ being victim disarmament zones, "shall issue" CCW, etc. It felt good to get out and be proactive in this fight.

Hope some other calgunners made it out to express their views.