PDA

View Full Version : Is my rifle OK to bring over the border to CA?

Pachinko Pistola
01-04-2013, 7:49 PM
I'm doing some hunting on a private ranch in CA next weekend and I just want to verify that my rifle is legal before I bring bring it over the border.

It's a .308 Remington 700 in an AICS 2.0 with a flash hider and a 10 round detachable mag.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2061/aics.jpg

Also I typically open carry a revolver on hunting trips. Is this OK in CA? I think I read a thread here once that said you have to carry it empty. If that's the case then I'll just stick a speed loader in my left pocket.

Anyways, thanks in advance. :cheers2:

Moonshine
01-04-2013, 7:55 PM
Bolt action rifles are not assault weapons and therefore may have all the evil features you want. I've seen some with folding stocks and a pistol grip which can be nice for keeping a hunting rifle more compact until its ready for use in the field. Awesome bolt gun what are you hunting?

Whether or not you may open carry the revolver is up to whether the land owner gives you permission to do so. I would definitely check www.dfg.ca.gov to find out if you're allowed a sidearm while hunting... I think it's OK on private land but my memory is a bit rusty.

safewaysecurity
01-04-2013, 7:57 PM
You can still open carry anywhere you are legally allowed to discharge a firearm

bwiese
01-04-2013, 8:14 PM
You can still open carry anywhere you are legally allowed to discharge a firearm

I recall it depends on 'condor zone' - if your handgun has lead ammo in it.

Last I heard, DFG is illegally asserting that defensive carry guns [as opposed to actual hunting gun] cannot have lead ammo while hunting in 'condor zone'.

I'm confident this will be litigated.

As to the OP's post - nice gun, perfectly CA legal. Enjoy.

Pachinko Pistola
01-04-2013, 8:35 PM
Cool. Sounds like I'm good to go on the rifle. Yeah this is actually a folding stock (mostly for cleaning) and I think they released a pistol grip conversion for it recently, but I'm not really interested.

We'll be hunting pigs. Hopefully great big ones. Can't really beat pulled pork, smoked ham, and sausages.

Pachinko Pistola
01-04-2013, 8:44 PM
Last I heard, DFG is illegally asserting that defensive carry guns [as opposed to actual hunting gun] cannot have lead ammo while hunting in 'condor zone'.

What's the difference between a defensive carry gun and a hunting gun? Also isn't all pistol ammo lead? Or are you saying that in a certain area you should only have shotguns with steel shot?

Sounds confusing.

bwiese
01-04-2013, 8:46 PM
What's the difference between a defensive carry gun and a hunting gun? Also isn't all pistol ammo lead? Or are you saying that in a certain area you should only have shotguns with steel shot?

Sounds confusing.

If you're in the 'condor zone' (check CA DFG regs) you should not have lead ammo. There are some finer details I dunno, and others can speak up.

[There are lead-free rounds.]

Moonshine
01-04-2013, 9:59 PM
Pigs in California are monsters! On private land though you're good to go. Once hunting pressure increases on public land they become nocturnal and feed at night. I need to get my hunting license renewed, California really can be a great place to hunt!

DarthSean
01-05-2013, 2:04 AM
Can the DFG enforce anything on private land?