PDA

View Full Version : Response from Congressional Rep. Dana Rohrabacher

SlipperySlope
01-04-2013, 8:36 PM
Here is what my member of congress Dana Rohrabacher, Republican, had to say in response to my anti gun control letter. It's not as bad as some of the other response letters I have read. It's not perfect either.

January 4, 2013

Dear Mr. S

Thank you for contacting me with your views regarding gun control in the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

First and foremost, no words can adequately describe the unspeakable crime that occurred in Connecticut. As a father of three, m y thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this terrible event, as well as to their families and loved ones. Now is the time to pause and reflect on how we can prevent such events in the future in a manner consistent with our rights and values.

Gun control is a constitutional issue that requires thoughtfully looking at all of the facts in order to avoid unintended consequences. Often, gun control laws do not accomplish what they are intended to. Just as we saw with prohibition, such laws can perpetuate crime, underground markets and empower criminals and cartels. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a majority of guns used by criminals are stolen, bought on the black market, or obtained in other illegal ways. As seen more recently in Connecticut, a state with some of the most stringent gun control laws in the nation, it is very difficult to keep weapons from being acquired by "high-risk" individuals.

I remain open to discussing any measures that would help prevent attacks such as the Connecticut shooting . Focusing solely on controlling guns is not a useful tack, however. We must also look at what active steps we can take to help troubled people before they use weapons to harm innocent people. President Obama recently announced that Vice President Joe Bi den will be heading up a task force to form the Administration's policies to curb gun-related violence. Hopefully the resulting suggestions do not focus solely on more laws restricting guns, while shying away from other measures that might prevent or stop shootings such as the one that was perpetrated in Connecticut.

As we continue to work on gun-related violence issues in the 113 th Congress, you can rest assured I will keep your views in mind. Again, thank you for giving me the benefit of your views. Please continue to keep me informed on any federal issue of importance to you.

Sincerely,
Dana Rohrabacher
Member of Congress

lgm118icbm
01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
He is a good guy and he has the voting record to back it up. I have been shooting with him and he is definitely pro 2A.

turbomkt
01-05-2013, 6:57 AM
And I was honored, 22 years ago, to receive an appointment to the Naval Academy from him.

tcrpe
01-05-2013, 7:09 AM
At least he's talking about psycho control instead of gun control.

OIFVet03
01-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Doesn't sound too bad. I have seen much worse. It's actually better than I thought it would be.

penguinofsleep
01-05-2013, 10:51 PM
My member of congress as well. Could be better but acceptable IMO. Good to know he stands behind 2A (at least for the most part as far as I can tell) though.

FMFdevildoc
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
I hope my congressman is that straight forward and seemingly sincere. I wrote to my rep & Feinstein's camp already

johnthomas
01-05-2013, 11:01 PM
I wonder what the other side of his mouth is saying when talking to Democrats.