PDA

View Full Version : Number of C&R Licences.

TRICKSTER
01-04-2013, 5:42 PM
Just a little C&R License statistic

According to ATF, as of June 2012 there were 61,416 03 FFLs in the United States. The state with the highest number of 03 FFLs was CA with 5,294 followed by FL 3,975, MO 3,575 and TX 3530.
Something for those sellers that refuse to sell to CA to think about. They are shutting off a large customer base.

http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/download/ffl-type-by-state-2012/0612-ffl-type-by-state.pdf

JAGGUY
01-04-2013, 6:01 PM
I wonder how long it will be before the Sac Bee publishes our names.....

BruinGuy
01-04-2013, 9:52 PM
Wow, is that all? That doesn't seem like that many 03 FFLs... I would have thought it was at least 10 times that, especially given how quickly some things sell out online.

Vlad 11
01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Interesting thanks for finding that, i have wondered about the number.

Wow, is that all? That doesn't seem like that many 03 FFLs... I would have thought it was at least 10 times that, especially given how quickly some things sell out online.

Its not just 03's buying , plus there are some that just buy 10x more than most of us

Capybara
01-05-2013, 5:55 AM
Wow, I feel like one of the few, the proud, the FFL03 holders.

SkyStorm82
01-05-2013, 6:25 AM
61,416 nationwide at the time of that report. I didn't know it was so low.

billmaykafer
01-05-2013, 6:37 AM

me also.

pklin1297
01-05-2013, 7:01 AM
Well I hope to remain one... I got a notice to renew my license back around October last year and promptly sent in my renewal fee and docs, but have yet to get anything back and my current license will be expired in February. They must be swamped with everything else going on but would they let my current license expire prior to sending out the renewed one? I hope I'm not thread-jacking...

hakenlag
01-05-2013, 8:43 AM
I suspect the reason there are so many FFL-03s in CA is because people in most states don't have to jump through as many hoops. The only reason to have a C&R license is so we can, at least to some extent, enjoy the same convenience as folks in our neighboring states.

chknlyps2
01-05-2013, 8:54 AM
I suspect the reason there are so many FFL-03s in CA is because people in most states don't have to jump through as many hoops. The only reason to have a C&R license is so we can, at least to some extent, enjoy the same convenience as folks as our neighboring states.

I agree, but I still would have thought the numbers would be higher.

fizux
01-05-2013, 8:55 AM
I suspect the reason there are so many FFL-03s in CA is because people in most states don't have to jump through as many hoops. The only reason to have a C&R license is so we can, at least to some extent, enjoy the same convenience as folks as our neighboring states.

Or, in a state like TX, they apparently don't bother with the 03 and just get the 01.

hakenlag
01-05-2013, 9:03 AM
I agree, but I still would have thought the numbers would be higher.

I'm not surprised. Let's face reality, We are not the backbone of the industry. Even though there are a lot of C&R guns selling, it's just a few people buying a lot of guns. Most people are only interested in the latest and greatest. Where we see beauty, they see old.

hakenlag
01-05-2013, 9:10 AM
Or, in a state like TX, they apparently don't bother with the 03 and just get the 01.

I am from Houston and may yet go back. Due to the lack of a Draconian Zoning code (as you'll find in every so-called progressive California city), Houston is a far easier place to do business.
I considered getting the FFL-01 but came to the realization that I live in Oakland. That just ain't gonna happen.

pro-nra
01-05-2013, 9:20 AM
It is simple statistics in line with population except for MO. The most populous state as of July 2012 is CA with 38,042,853 followed by TX with 26,144,728 then NY 19,527,371 and then FL 19,288,992 and at #18 MO 6,040,259. You take out NY as a non player due to very restrictive gun policy and you are left with CA, TX, FL and MO. MO is the odd ball as it has the highest rate of C&R per capita beat CA by about 325%.

Per capita if my numbers is correct, it is ranked as follows:
1. MO has 1 C&R for every 1,690 residents.
2. FL has 1 C&R for every 4,853 residents.
3. CA has 1 C&R for every 7,186 residents.
4. TX has 1 for every 7,406.

yuccales
01-05-2013, 9:48 AM
Interesting numbers. I sure thought it would be higher.

microwaveguy
01-05-2013, 2:15 PM
I really hadn't given any thought before this as to how many FFL03's are out in the world. Interesting numbers and the breakdown per state.

It makes sense now for the reaction I got on a recent trip to AZ went I when to a semi-new dealer ( 6 months old ) that I was the first FFL03 that they had seen. They called their ATF rep for an explanation of what it was.

Zedrek
01-05-2013, 6:51 PM
I wish they would send mine already so we could add one to California's total.

emcon5
01-05-2013, 6:56 PM
Well I hope to remain one... I got a notice to renew my license back around October last year and promptly sent in my renewal fee and docs, but have yet to get anything back and my current license will be expired in February. They must be swamped with everything else going on but would they let my current license expire prior to sending out the renewed one? I hope I'm not thread-jacking...

My renewal showed up a couple days after the old one expired.

Once 90 days has passed, you can call them for a status.

RaceDay
01-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Mine expired last week. I was slow on sending back the paperwork (lost it in the bill pile). They are supposedly going to e-mail me an extension letter while they finish up the background check. I called them on Friday. So if you don't get yours by Feb, you still should be OK.

slamfire51
01-06-2013, 6:36 AM
I suspect the reason there are so many FFL-03s in CA is because people in most states don't have to jump through as many hoops. The only reason to have a C&R license is so we can, at least to some extent, enjoy the same convenience as folks in our neighboring states.

In Tennessee, the only other hoop I had to jump was notifying my Sheriff that I was applying for the license. Required by the Feds.

C&Rtrader
01-06-2013, 8:46 AM

you can call them (BATFE) and ask them to fax you a letter of authorization (LOA) if your current one expires before they send you a new one. I had this for a few months until my renewal showed up

hakenlag
01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
In Tennessee, the only other hoop I had to jump was notifying my Sheriff that I was applying for the license. Required by the Feds.

The hoops we jump through are not in getting the C&R. The C&R helps us avoid hoops non-FFLs in other states don't have.

Rangem4
01-06-2013, 2:16 PM

+1, and we get deals!

TEX1966
01-07-2013, 7:11 PM
Special we are. Use the C&R Luke! Trust in the C&R!

Sent in my renewal 10/10/2012. CC hit 1 week later. C&R postmarked 12/18/2012 and got 2 days latter. My friend did a change of address on his and it took around the same amount of time.