PDA

View Full Version : Gun show Question

clbshooter
01-04-2013, 4:48 PM
What states allow you to buy guns (and walk away) at a gun show without a background check? I have lived in Va. and Ca. and both require a background check. Va. uses the fed system and seems to be better than what is here.

morrcarr67
01-04-2013, 4:56 PM
The majority of states allow sales of firearms between non-licensed residents of their states.

kaligaran
01-04-2013, 4:59 PM
What states allow you to buy guns (and walk away) at a gun show without a background check? I have lived in Va. and Ca. and both require a background check. Va. uses the fed system and seems to be better than what is here.

Let's be clear though, it has NOTHING to do with a gun show.

It's a private party sale that this 'gun show loophole' is referring to. Even at gun shows in these other states, EVERY time you purchase a firearm from an FFL they run a background check.

kaligaran
01-04-2013, 5:00 PM
Oh hey, there's a thread about this just this week. See here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=670262

rromeo
01-04-2013, 5:00 PM
Buying at a gun show in most states is no different than outside of a gun show. If you buy from an FFL, you fill out a 4473 and get an NICS "Brady check."
If you're buying from a non-licensee, there is no paperwork.

cwilliams
01-04-2013, 5:13 PM
The only legal, non-paperwork whatsoever way you are going to walk away with a gun at a show is if it is a long gun that is 50+ years old, and the seller is a private party and not a dealer. The gun also has to not be on the "banned" list. However, those guns are still able to be purchased, but you must go through a FFL and do the private party transfer process and add $35 and the ten day waiting period. These laws apply to the entire state and not just a gun show. As long as they are followed, an eligible long gun can be bought, sold, traded just about anywhere you can do so. A gun show is just a place where multiple private sellers and dealers congregate.

If you want to walk away with a 50+ year old long gun purchased from a dealer, you will need your FFL03 and the COE.

clbshooter
01-04-2013, 6:36 PM
Thanks guys for clearing this up for me, I was trying to wrap my head around going to a gun show and walking out without a background check when you bought from a FFL. I was under the impression you had to have a license to sell at a gun show. thanks again

JDay
01-04-2013, 6:39 PM
The only legal, non-paperwork whatsoever way you are going to walk away with a gun at a show is if it is a long gun that is 50+ years old, and the seller is a private party and not a dealer. The gun also has to not be on the "banned" list. However, those guns are still able to be purchased, but you must go through a FFL and do the private party transfer process and add $35 and the ten day waiting period. These laws apply to the entire state and not just a gun show. As long as they are followed, an eligible long gun can be bought, sold, traded just about anywhere you can do so. A gun show is just a place where multiple private sellers and dealers congregate.

If you want to walk away with a 50+ year old long gun purchased from a dealer, you will need your FFL03 and the COE.

That only applies in California. Pretty much every other state only requires you to have an FFL03.

cwilliams
01-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Oh the hoops we get to jump through here!