PDA

View Full Version : Any Bay Area Savage Experts?

joel1316
08-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Anyone in the Bay Area consider themselves as experts at working on Savage rifles? I need the barrel removed on my Savage 10FP so that I can send the barrel to AR15barrels.com to be threaded for a muzzle brake. Then when it gets back, I'd like it re-installed. Let me know your location and $$$.

ar15barrels
08-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Anyone in the Bay Area consider themselves as experts at working on Savage rifles? I need the barrel removed on my Savage 10FP so that I can send the barrel to AR15barrels.com to be threaded for a muzzle brake. Then when it gets back, I'd like it re-installed. Let me know your location and $$$.

Depending on the brake you choose, it MAY be important to mark the top of the barrel before removing it from the action so I have a reference where top-dead-center is.

This will also help the smith put it back into exactly the same place when he puts it back together.

mecam
08-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Try Canyon Sports in Martinez, CA.

joel1316
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Depending on the brake you choose, it MAY be important to mark the top of the barrel before removing it from the action so I have a reference where top-dead-center is.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that mind when and if I can find a smith... Otherwise its back to the original plan of waiting on the next Disneyland trip...:)

phish
08-24-2007, 1:02 PM
I've got the action and barrel nut wrench. I can meet you at the San Leandro range tomorrow afternoon to remove your barrel, just remove the action from the stock and take out the bolt.

5 minutes, if that...

joel1316
08-24-2007, 2:03 PM
You don't have the heat the barrel to supposedly "break" the "lock"?
Actually, I don't have rifle yet, still in jail until the 28th... Thanks phish! I'll keep you mind to see if your available one day.

phish
08-24-2007, 2:50 PM
Okay, PM when you get it in. A drop of Kroil is all that's needed to help things.

I was able to get my barrel off using a breaker bar with the action wrench, no need for a "cheater bar" for the barrel nut wrench though.

kilword
08-24-2007, 6:35 PM
heard savage barrels on that series are pretty easy to change.

Fjold
08-24-2007, 8:17 PM
Savage barrels are extremely easy to change. The torque spec on the barrel nut is supposed to be 35 ft-lbs but the gorillas in the factory are always over torquing them. Sometimes it takes a pretty sharp rap with a hammer on the nut wrench to break them loose but the second change is always easy.

I switch one gun between 22.250 and 243 and I have another 300WSM that is becoming a custom chambered 22.250.

If you put a match mark on the barrel and receiver do it on the bottom of the barreled action so it's not seen when the gun is assembled.

joel1316
08-25-2007, 5:48 AM
Okay, PM when you get it in. A drop of Kroil is all that's needed to help things.

I was able to get my barrel off using a breaker bar with the action wrench, no need for a "cheater bar" for the barrel nut wrench though.

Will do... Thanks for the offer to help.