PDA

View Full Version : Apathy among California firearms owners is an enemy we CAN fight.

Sixtigers
01-04-2013, 3:16 PM
For as many firearms owners as we are reputed to have in this state, I am shocked at our inaction.

I'm tired of excuses.

Get out and do something. I'm not sure what emails/twitters/bookface stuff does, but back in the day, tons of mail used to get attention. Anybody can mouth off on the 'net, these days...opinions are everywhere. To me, that makes it cheap.

Write a damn letter.

In fact, write a bunch of damn letters.

Use your computer. Make a great, single-page, short letter that says "No more. No more gun control." Send it to your chain of command, from President Obama, down to your Assemblyman. Send it to every single one of their offices, to ensure that they get the message.

Do it like this:

1) Using software found in Microsoft Word, go to the "Merge Mailing Wizard" under the "Mailings" tool.

2) It's a step-by-step process, and it is easy. The first time will take a little bit, because you're going to enter in all the titles and addresses of the reps you wish to mail--that's ok.

3) When you've finished, you'll hit "Print"...and that same letter will be sent to your printer, for every address you've entered. For me, that was 37 letters. That's a nice time saver.

4) Now that the hard work is done? Go find your fellow firearms owners--the ones you know personally. Tell them you'll send a letter out on their behalf, that they can fight for their rights and all they have to do is sign the damn letter.

5) If they agree, get their address, and replace your address in the letter you just typed out on your computer with theirs. Hit "Print". A bunch of letters will print out...now go have your fellow firearms owner sign them. Take them back after he signs them, and tell him you'll take care of everything else.

6) Mail Merge also does envelopes--so you can use it to print out the envelopes as well.

7) Now go find somebody else to help out.

Note: When I first started doing this Sunday, I told people that all they had to do was sign, and that I'd take care of everything else. After that first $300 spent on stamps (the cost of an NRA Lifetime Membership), I couldn't do that anymore. I had to charge $20 for stamps...which of course, turned many "would-be" supporters off. For, as we all know, $20 could be much better spent on the office football pool, or a case of lite beer...and then there are those who refuse to contact their representatives, because (a) they don't have any "of those guns", or (b) "I'm not getting my name put on no list!"

...despite such...opinions...I still managed to send out 962 letters today. A big thank you to my wife, who helped with the labeling, stamping, folding, and stuffing. This was a bit of an effort (about a day's worth of work, to be honest)...but it felt good at the post office.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/sixtigers/71A80EEF-5A43-49DB-A5AB-7A5BF1D9B63E-923-00000075E444D2E9.jpg

Moonshine
01-04-2013, 3:22 PM
Oh I don't think there will be apathy this time. This time they're comming for our guns (at least DiFi anyhow), magazines, and ammo. The fact that everyone everywhere is hoarding says the message has been read loud and clear.

Baconator
01-04-2013, 3:25 PM
For as many firearms owners as we are reputed to have in this state, I am shocked at our inaction.

I'm tired of excuses.

Get out and do something. I'm not sure what emails/twitters/bookface stuff does, but back in the day, tons of mail used to get attention. Anybody can mouth off on the 'net, these days...opinions are everywhere. To me, that makes it cheap.

Write a damn letter.

In fact, write a bunch of damn letters.

Use your computer. Make a great, single-page, short letter that says "No more. No more gun control." Send it to your chain of command, from President Obama, down to your Assemblyman. Send it to every single one of their offices, to ensure that they get the message.

Do it like this:

1) Using software found in Microsoft Word, go to the "Merge Mailing Wizard" under the "Mailings" tool.

2) It's a step-by-step process, and it is easy. The first time will take a little bit, because you're going to enter in all the titles and addresses of the reps you wish to mail--that's ok.

3) When you've finished, you'll hit "Print"...and that same letter will be sent to your printer, for every address you've entered. For me, that was 37 letters. That's a nice time saver.

4) Now that the hard work is done? Go find your fellow firearms owners--the ones you know personally. Tell them you'll send a letter out on their behalf, that they can fight for their rights and all they have to do is sign the damn letter.

5) If they agree, get their address, and replace your address in the letter you just typed out on your computer with theirs. Hit "Print". A bunch of letters will print out...now go have your fellow firearms owner sign them. Take them back after he signs them, and tell him you'll take care of everything else.

6) Mail Merge also does envelopes--so you can use it to print out the envelopes as well.

7) Now go find somebody else to help out.

Note: When I first started doing this Sunday, I told people that all they had to do was sign, and that I'd take care of everything else. After that first $300 spent on stamps (the cost of an NRA Lifetime Membership), I couldn't do that anymore. I had to charge $20 for stamps...which of course, turned many "would-be" supporters off. For, as we all know, $20 could be much better spent on the office football pool, or a case of lite beer...and then there are those who refuse to contact their representatives, because (a) they don't have any "of those guns", or (b) "I'm not getting my name put on no list!"

...despite such...opinions...I still managed to send out 962 letters today. A big thank you to my wife, who helped with the labeling, stamping, folding, and stuffing. This was a bit of an effort (about a day's worth of work, to be honest)...but it felt good at the post office.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/sixtigers/71A80EEF-5A43-49DB-A5AB-7A5BF1D9B63E-923-00000075E444D2E9.jpg

I think what you're doing is awesome. But based on the forms letter responses that I have seen people post, the pols don't care what you think. They think they are doing what is right and for the greater good. Just like when public polling showed a majority of people didn't want obamacare, they didn't care.

Sent from Obama's Mind

Rumline
01-04-2013, 3:29 PM
Oh I don't think there will be apathy this time. This time they're comming for our guns (at least DiFi anyhow), magazines, and ammo. The fact that everyone everywhere is hoarding says the message has been read loud and clear.
I believe you are mistaking knee-jerk panic buying for actually doing something to fix/help the situation.

stix213
01-04-2013, 4:31 PM

Yes I agree, the run on guns/ammo has made even the usually non-political at least aware that something is up.

trevorlc
01-04-2013, 4:43 PM
Thats Awesome, I already sent my letters out but I had not even helping friends that way making it so easy for them. I know what I'm going to do this weekend!

Yes we get form letter responses, of course because the actual politician is not reading your letter... but their aids are and they keep a running tally of how many letters, on what issues and for/against.. That Tally is what they show to or tell the politician about, and if that tally changes drastically enough they might actually put some thought to their position on that issue. Even if they don't change their position, they might soften up a little bit, or just not be as vocal.

Not letting them know how we feel is not evening trying.

Rumline
01-04-2013, 7:00 PM
I'm sorry, in my earlier post I forgot to say:

Bravo, OP! You made a huge effort and it's an inspiration to do something similar with my circle of friends.

jvrotter
01-04-2013, 7:04 PM
I think that the most effective way is to write a "hand-written" letter. This has the most effect on your representatives and more likely to be read by them. They place much more weight on these than any form letter just from the personal aspect of it. This is what I did in the 80's and 90's. Of course it is much more labor intensive but I think worth it.

Grifter206
01-04-2013, 7:08 PM
You're a damn good example!

artoaster
01-04-2013, 7:15 PM
Great effort!

I appreciate that you took it upon yourself to invest time and money into this project. Not everyone can do what you did but it may serve as an inspiration to some.

What I might suggest is since we here at CalGuns have seen the photo of the outgoing mail is that you expand it out to the social network and let others see it. Since FB is full of anti-gun retards (including many of your friends, too) you might just let the photo do the talking and indicate only that you are writing elected officials on current issues and not mention guns. If non gun people are curious as to what has got you all fired up just tell themsomething like you're putting politicians on notice to do a better job or we voters will elect new people to replace them (or whatever you want to say).

Send the photo to your local newspaper and again don't say specifically what issues you raise. Be general. The point is you are active in communicating and participating in the process.

Get your money's worth!

Bad Voodoo
01-04-2013, 7:24 PM
...based on the forms letter responses that I have seen people post, the pols don't care what you think.

Make no bones about it - they DON'T care what you think. Not one iota.

And don't kid yourself. This isn't about bleeding heart liberal do-gooders representing their constituent's ideas about common social good, either. It IS about our elected ideological fascists (on both sides of the aisle) using "the children" to further enslave gun owners, specifically, so they may exert ever MORE unchecked CONTROL(s) over the flock. Period. End of story. California is the blueprint. After all, it's this 'sheeple' mentality that allowed it to happen to the degree it has here in the first place.

Elections have consequences.

ScottB
01-04-2013, 7:56 PM
You have the right idea. NRA and other groups would rather everyone send them a couple hundred bucks and let them represent our interests. But the money would have much more impact if 10,000 individual gun owners sent signed, stamped letters (not emails)to each of the 10 senators and 435 congressmen, the president, vice president and chairmen of the RNC and DNC, it would have a dramatic impact. Volume matters and they do keep a tally. Letters mean more than faxes or emails or phone calls. 10,000 sounds like a lot but most outdoor and gun forums have several thousand members and there are dozens of forums. I think the mailing lists need to be made available online in a downloadable /label printable format. Make it as easy as possible and with enough prodding people will do it.

SID45
01-04-2013, 8:15 PM
i took some young men to the range and gave them an example what a law abiding gun owner is

chris
01-04-2013, 8:45 PM
Make no bones about it - they DON'T care what you think. Not one iota.

And don't kid yourself. This isn't about bleeding heart liberal do-gooders representing their constituent's ideas about common social good, either. It IS about our elected ideological fascists (on both sides of the aisle) using "the children" to further enslave gun owners, specifically, so they may exert ever MORE unchecked CONTROL(s) over the flock. Period. End of story. California is the blueprint. After all, it's this 'sheeple' mentality that allowed it to happen to the degree it has here in the first place.

Elections have consequences.

they sure do and we will those consequences very soon. and people will have no idea what hit them.

Jaxpire
01-04-2013, 9:23 PM
Sixtigers, wonderful post!

I have sent out my first batch of letters nowhere near as large as yours. I am now waiting for 1/22 when Feinstein submits the bill. I will then send out another batch, email and do what else I can.

DvlFig
01-04-2013, 10:06 PM
OP you're awesome! I've been sending my letters online :)
There's also a peaceful demonstration inf Feb that I think I'll be going to.

NoJoke
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Gun owners continue to allow themselves to be marginalized,"....there's only a small percentage of people who own guns - blah blah blah"

Well, in other areas I believe only small percentages get huge responses due to commitment and determination. Not to get on a political tangent, just an example, how many gays make up society and is the current political activity toward those issues proportional to the percentage of people who are gay?

A majority do not need to think a certain way to gain political influence.

I think the silent protest that's going to happen is a great starting point. In a civilized manner we need to get out and our voice of reason heard! We ALL need access to a self defensive tool!

What's that saying? Squeeky wheel gets the oil?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-chit-chat/716040d1357335499-peaceful-demonstration-second-amendment-rights-protest.jpg

merrill
01-05-2013, 1:52 PM
The Salem Radio Network has come out with a petiton against gun control and for the second amendment. Please sign it. http://salemnational.com/second-amendment/

swaits
01-06-2013, 8:59 AM
Send it to your chain of command, from President Obama, down to your Assemblyman.

Please. No elected person is in "command" of us. They may think or wish it so. But the moment the unwashed masses start falling into line with this belief shall signify a horrible end.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. But I hope you, and others, strongly resist the idea that these crooks and liars are in "command" of us.