PDA

View Full Version : O.O.W. AK47 receiver

MustangSteveGT
01-04-2013, 1:09 PM
I'm looking at getting a rifle receiver sent private party FFL from out of state to my FFL here in CA.

It is an Ohio Ordinance Work "AK47S" receiver.
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Firearms/OOWExclusiveFirearms/AKReceivers.cat

I reviewed the California Firearm Laws book and could not find the "AK47S" listed under the banned AK47 style rifles. Under manufacturer Ohio Ordinance Works (O.O.W.) I only see the "AK74" and the "ROMAK 991" models mentioned as being on the California ban list for this manufacturer.

Am I ok to get this transferred to me here in CA?

MustangSteveGT
01-04-2013, 1:12 PM
Also talked lady at manufacturers phone number who's company policy is not to ship these to CA just yet but also stated that this model isnt on the CA ban list currently either.

MustangSteveGT
01-04-2013, 1:25 PM
Just called CA DOJ, General Information Phone: (916) 227-7527. Lady on phone confirmed that this manufacturer/model is not banned by name on list. It just can't have a detachable magazine and be built into an Assault Weapon.

bwiese
01-04-2013, 1:37 PM
I'm a little paranoid about "AK47" being marked on a gun in entirety (and
perhaps as a subset of a model).

The Harrott decision actually has fine print exception about a gun being "AK47", and some separate treatment.

It's probably defendable.

The lady at the DOJ will have no idea of this.

MustangSteveGT
01-04-2013, 2:14 PM
The Harrott decision actually has fine print exception about a gun being "AK47", and some separate treatment.

Please expand upon this. Exception in favor or against buying a firearm such as a rifle with model name "AK47S"?

Do you know of anybody in recent times who has had experience registering a firearm with similar name but had the string "AK47" in the model name?

phrogg111
01-04-2013, 2:22 PM
Just called CA DOJ, General Information Phone: (916) 227-7527. Lady on phone confirmed that this manufacturer/model is not banned by name on list. It just can't have a detachable magazine and be built into an Assault Weapon.

It can have a detachable magazine.

It cannot be built into an assault weapon.

That means if it has a detachable magazine, it cannot have a pistol grip, or any of the other "assault weapon features" in CA's laws.

People who refuse to read the laws anger me. You're asking a legal question, and the law is fairly straightforward. Laws can be read for free. Taking someone else's advice on what the law says? That's risking arrest.

To answer your questions, is the receiver legal: YES. Is it on the list, with the make and model? No? Then it's legal.

CSACANNONEER
01-04-2013, 2:35 PM

It can be built into a rifle with a detachable magazine unless, it is a semi auto (not all AKs are), centerfire (not all AKs are), with evil features (again, not all AKs have them). DOJ really is not the best place to go for legal advise.

MustangSteveGT
01-04-2013, 3:09 PM
It can have a detachable magazine.

It cannot be built into an assault weapon.

That means if it has a detachable magazine, it cannot have a pistol grip, or any of the other "assault weapon features" in CA's laws.

People who refuse to read the laws anger me. You're asking a legal question, and the law is fairly straightforward. Laws can be read for free. Taking someone else's advice on what the law says? That's risking arrest.

To answer your questions, is the receiver legal: YES. Is it on the list, with the make and model? No? Then it's legal.
I read the CA firearm laws book and agree it is straightforward. It's not on the list of banned firearms.
It's details such as the Harrott case that was brought up, that spikes my interest beyond what I read and why I like to ask around.