PDA

View Full Version : How come no one's buying the Czech Surplus 54R on SGAMMO?

Mr. Gillious
01-04-2013, 12:12 PM
They are all sold out and I've been eyeing the 54R ammo for the past 24 hours. The 880 light ball crate deal even sold out before the Czech. There was about 70 in stock of the 880 and it's gone but 16 in stock of the Czech is currently in stock.

Anyone have good experience with the Czech ammo?

89 Vision
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/648-rd-case-762x54r-czech-surplus-46-grain-hollow-core-low-recoil-ammo

Looks to be training ammo no? Think most shooters want the full house round. It's also a few cents more expensive per round than anything else listed.

Mr. Gillious
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
true... but it's still ammo lol

BruinGuy
01-04-2013, 1:58 PM
I shoot the Czech training ammo all the time. It is very low recoil, about like shooting a 9mm carbine, although it still has the blast and noise you expect. It seems to be accurate at 100 yards; I've read that it is good up to 200 yards or so, then it goes all wonky. It's only a 46gn bullet, and it is semi-hollow and plastic tipped. I haven't checked if it is magnetic (it probably is) but it is definitely corrosive primed.

In any case, it's fun stuff to shoot and it's the only way I can get my wife to shoot a Mosin. If you want some range plinking ammo, go for it.

chknlyps2
01-04-2013, 2:51 PM
I like it too and just ordered 640 more rounds last night. It is great for the kids to shoot. For a moment they had some of the Russian 60's production last night but it was gone quick.

Mad-B-Man
01-04-2013, 2:56 PM
It's pretty fun stuff. I guess people see it a a bit more expensive? I still have a bit, even after selling some.

BruinGuy
01-04-2013, 3:13 PM
Wow, glad this thread made me think of it. I just picked up another box and some of the Hornady 5.45. :D

TRAP55
01-04-2013, 3:28 PM
Czech hollow core practice ammo, 46grn hollow jacket, leaves the muzzle at about 3800fps. Nice fireballs in a M44, and cycles the action on the SVT-40, with low recoil. Looses velocity real fast after about 100-200yrds. Inside of 100yrds, they flatten out on soft targets and expend all their energy on impact. They'll flip an 8lb rockchuck a good 8ft. They make them in 7.62x39 too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/TRAP55/CZpracticeammo.jpg

sdfire
01-04-2013, 4:41 PM
I just ordered a case a couple of days ago. This stuff is extremely fun to shoot. Plus it's the best way to ease new mosin shooters into handling the rifle. It will also do some damage to small game ( blows up gophers).

Toyman321
01-04-2013, 5:09 PM
can anyone confirm if this stuff attracts a magnet? This might be a good way for my wife to shoot the 54r stuff.

Mad-B-Man
01-04-2013, 5:36 PM
It does attract magnets

Capybara
01-04-2013, 9:03 PM
You guys convinced me, I ordered a case of the Czech and a case of the Bulgarian, which I have already been shooting. Man I love my Mosins.

chknlyps2
01-04-2013, 9:16 PM
When I saw this thread close to 3pm I looked and SG had just at 150 crates of Bulgarian,, evry time you refresh the page the numbers go down..... kinda like the stock market during the crash. Now it is at 50 crates, thats 100 crates gone in 6 hours.

Vlad 11
01-04-2013, 11:50 PM
I didnt realize this stuff would cycle the SVT, but doesnt surprise me,, this stuff zings.

can anyone confirm if this stuff attracts a magnet? This might be a good way for my wife to shoot the 54r stuff.

Magnetic.

It is very cheap and easy to reload 7.62x54 with 90-110 gr .32 bullets and 10-12 gr
med rate pistol powder. (i use unique) Fun - non magnetic - great for kids

( you do have to be careful measuring the powder. And double check but you should be careful and double check any thing you reload anyway)

hermosabeach
01-05-2013, 1:43 AM
I had a case of the 7.62x 39. It ran like a champ in an SKS

In a friends WASR it gets stuck on the feed ramp.
The WASR runs 100% with wolf/ brown bear etc

I do not know how this would run in a semi auto

The recoil on the 7.62x 39 is almost non existant.

Point of impact is also different due to different bullet weight and velocity

Mr. Gillious
01-05-2013, 2:05 AM
When I saw this thread close to 3pm I looked and SG had just at 150 crates of Bulgarian,, evry time you refresh the page the numbers go down..... kinda like the stock market during the crash. Now it is at 50 crates, thats 100 crates gone in 6 hours.

I love SGAMMO, but i think they're messin with the shooters minds. I've been watching their site for a while now and they make it seem like there's a drought on the 54R page. But once everything is sold, they show something new in stock. When I came home from work around 5AM yesterday there was about 49 of the 880 crate. Then when I woke up at around 11AM there was like 7 left. So I bought some of that russian. Now, They have the Bulgarian

I gotta be cool about this :cool2:

Capybara
01-05-2013, 6:50 AM
You have to look at it from their point of view. They are a small, family run business. I wouldn't list ALL of my supply of a hot commodity these days at once either. It is still a business and if they sell out of all of their ammo, they will have lay people off and won't have a business until they can source more ammo.

Love SG, have been buying from them for years.

Eljay
01-05-2013, 8:18 AM
I always imagined it more like "Hey, bob, we're out of such-and-such ammo on the website! See what's in receiving and get it on there right away!"

chknlyps2
01-05-2013, 9:36 AM
SG is the only place I have got on line ammo with in the last 3 years, they have the best customer service hands down.

I figured that they don't want to get backed up 4 to 5 weeks like other vendors and only put up enough so shipping is only a couple days behind and like Capybara said, if they sold out they would have to lay people off and thats not how most small business works. Even though their site says expect 5 days delay the order I made a couple days ago shipped in 2 days

johnny1290
01-05-2013, 1:14 PM
Trap55 - thanks for taking/posting that pic! That's awesome!

I wonder what the fps limit is for that round? Surely it can take a higher charge than what's in the training round. Looks plenty effective, I wouldn't want to get shot with it!!

I see there's 880rd crate of bulgarian 148 gr for $160+$26 shipping, in stock, 5 day wait, just in case anybody was curious.

I just might have to buy it. I don't think I've ever regretted buying ammo.

jthesby
01-05-2013, 2:33 PM
I ran across a couple box's of this stuff at a local show, figured I'd pick it up so the gf could enjoy shooting my mosin's as much as I do.

TRAP55
01-05-2013, 9:49 PM
Trap55 - thanks for taking/posting that pic! That's awesome!

I wonder what the fps limit is for that round? Surely it can take a higher charge than what's in the training round. Looks plenty effective, I wouldn't want to get shot with it!!
It must be loaded to the same pressure as a ball round, for it to cycle the action on my SVT-40 and my PSL. I would hazard a guess it's already at it's limit.
It doesn't make sense how they can be as accurate as they are. Not sure what the difference is in barrels, but they really excel in the M39 Finns. In theory, a bullet that light, at that speed, should come apart leaving the muzzle of a barrel with a twist designed to stabilize a bullet three times it's weight. But they don't.
Another lessor know round is the Russian Short Range ammo, loaded with a 123grn AK bullet. I think it was FullClip that sent me a couple of boxes years back to try in my SVT and Finn M-39. That was like bench rest accuracy under 200 yrds. I've never been able to locate anymore of it since then. I've tried to duplicate the load and got close, but never duplicated the accuracy.
Years back, just because we could, I loaded up a bunch of 110grn FMJ .30 carbine bullets for a friends .300WinMag. They were easily breaking 4000fps, and punched cookie cutter holes in a steel ram silhouette at 400yrds,..."if" you could hit it!

TMcC
01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Surely it can take a higher charge than what's in the training round.

Last time I opened one of those up I came up with 47.0 grains of whatever powder they used. Projectile was 46.6 grains (.312 dia .672 long). Me, I wouldn't try to change this round. It's a fine training/plinking round as it is.

Bobby Ricigliano
01-06-2013, 12:51 AM
I initially bought 3 spam cans of x54R ammo and quickly realized that 1000+ rounds will last me for a loooong time due to that near shoulder dislocating recoil she delivers. 50 rounds or so is all I can muster per desert trip..

Capybara
01-06-2013, 11:28 PM
I am up to six cans now, roughly 2,200 rounds (mix of 440 cans and the 640 of the Czech low recoil). My goal is to have 8k rounds before any ammo bill comes in. I think 8,000 rounds of 7.62x54R would last me well into my old age. Can't reload it, it's a one shot deal so to speak so I want to have enough for me and for me son to shoot for the next decade or two.

Capybara
01-08-2013, 5:25 PM
Just read in another thread that steel cases Berdan primed ammo can be reloaded. Think I may start saving my Mosin ammo cases.