PDA

View Full Version : Dead condor in the news

dave7739
08-24-2007, 7:46 AM
Saw a story on the news this am about a condor that died from ingesting bullet fragments. I know lead based shot shell are banned in some areas, will we see a ban on lead based ammunition? I beleive it's already happened on one ranch.

dave7739
08-24-2007, 7:49 AM
I guess I should have read the sticky at the top of the forum Duh

odysseus
08-24-2007, 9:15 AM
Yeah, I would like to see the "report" of the autopsy...:rolleyes:

MonsterMan
08-24-2007, 9:18 AM
In Arizona where I am from there are lots of CA Condors killed on the highway because they eat road kill. They are to big and clumsy to get out of the way of oncoming traffic.

rbgaynor
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I would like to see the "report" of the autopsy...:rolleyes:

necropsy - condors are critters

odysseus
08-24-2007, 1:05 PM

Boy are you one for details... ;)

chris
08-24-2007, 1:54 PM
In Arizona where I am from there are lots of CA Condors killed on the highway because they eat road kill. They are to big and clumsy to get out of the way of oncoming traffic.

that is what i call a speedbump!:D

Sydwaiz
08-24-2007, 2:16 PM

Then we should rename them AZ condors since you obviously have more than enough to go around! Then maybe we can stop worrying about lead poisoning.

ibanezfoo
08-24-2007, 3:13 PM
Saw a story on the news this am about a condor that died from ingesting bullet fragments. I know lead based shot shell are banned in some areas, will we see a ban on lead based ammunition? I beleive it's already happened on one ranch.

Gee, what a coincidence. Pending legislation... news stories to back it up. Bleh :chris:

-Bryan

StukaJr
08-24-2007, 4:46 PM
I've seen an X-Ray picture in recent National Geographic magazine of one Condor with pellets in its digestive system. Whether its lead or not, I could not tell (but article claimed it as lead) - but then I don't know how much good steel shot would do if ingested by a dozen...

Now, for someone with knowledge of birds - some birds will swallow little rocks to aid digestion - is that the case with the Condor or do they poop out what goes in? Would the pellets stay in the system or pass?

jjperl
08-25-2007, 1:51 AM
Big flippen deal a freaken bird died, birds die everyday. I would much rather keep my rights in tact than save a stupid bird or two.:rolleyes:

five.five-six
08-25-2007, 1:55 AM

would that be done by a condor coroner?

say that 5 times real fasst :p

B.J.F.
08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
in this case we probably will never know fact from fiction, anti-gun nuts and pro-wildlife extremists will allways distort fact from fiction to better their cause regaurdless of consequences