PDA

View Full Version : How to stage a "protest" in Sacramento

OHOD
01-04-2013, 6:31 AM
This is really more of a response post than a how to post, but sometimes response posts turn into action.

In response to pro-2A "protests" event threads.

As those in the thick of things will attest, donating to an organization that fights legislation can be more effective.
However, there is a time and place for protests.
Here is my view and an idea.

Rather than having a protest, have a Constitutional Event. Incorporate multiple organizations that will speak about their cause. Basically, you have a coalition that comes together for a common cause, freedom. Here are some bullet points...

Incorporate organizations that will speak about their mission with regards to a section of the Constitution, i.e. freedom of religion.
Search out individuals who are experts in a specific field. i.e. 4th Amendment. They will have a following that will show.
Approach legislators, representatives and etc... that are passionate about an issue and ask them to speak. They will get their 10-minutes of fame, media time and etc...

Incorporated into your event would be pro-2A guests and motivational speakers.
Sure, there may be some individuals that you don't care fore, but the point of the event is to motivate people to action for their cause.

Sample program schedule:

0800: Opening Ceremony
0815: Opening Prayer
1000: Representative So-and-so to speak about the 1st Amendment
1100: Chief of Police So-and-so to speak about a specific 2A issue.
1200: Mr. So-and-So from Pink Pistols to discuss the Pursuit of Happiness.
1200-1300: No Speaker
1300: Mr. So-and-So to speak about Assembly Bill etc...
etc...
etc...

The whole point is to bring people from all walks of life to discuss a particular issue. While each of the speakers above may have their own mission, each would be asked to speak about a particular theme as it relates to the event. Say the event is about Self Protection, the speakers will be asked to present an outline about what they will say as it relates to Self Protection and the Constitution.....just as an example.

A thoroughly organized event like this is much more effective than a bunch of "Yahoos" (Yahoos as defined by the mainstream media) getting together with flak vests and dressed in Tactical Black. :shrug:

AyatollahGondola
01-04-2013, 6:37 AM
That's a fair suggestion, although I'd lobby to leave out the prayer as an item. Not opposed to praying, or others doing it, but cheduled religion might just provide enough incentive for some to stay away. this is a government issue, and that should remain the focus

The rest of that I think is all good suggestions, and I commend you for trying

ClarenceBoddicker
01-04-2013, 6:51 AM
You forgot having to pay the protest tax to the state along with your application asking permission to protest. This has to be done in advance & IIRC LE has to sign off on your proposed protest plan. An unpermitted protest is a crime. You may also be required to buy a bond or insurance for any damages or LE "costs" incurred.

AyatollahGondola
01-04-2013, 6:57 AM
You forgot having to pay the protest tax to the state along with your application asking permission to protest. This has to be done in advance & IIRC LE has to sign off on your proposed protest plan. An unpermitted protest is a crime. You may also be required to buy a bond or insurance for any damages or LE "costs" incurred.

Permits are free at the state capitol. Insurance is not always required. we've held many events on capitol grounds that we're entirely cost and insurance free. security is supplied by event organizers. CHP handles the costs of securing the state

Mitch
01-04-2013, 7:12 AM
You guys can't pray before you leave the house?

movie zombie
01-04-2013, 7:16 AM
and can our very own Ms Nicki represent pink pistols rather than Mr so and so?

personally, i'm not interested in the prayer angle either.....and while i know many are, i think if this is about guns and 2A rights its ok to not start off with a prayer meeting.

Moonshine
01-04-2013, 8:33 AM
And the reason why you want to bring the gun control debate back into the lime light after its out of the news is? Seriously it's like picking at a scab so it can't heal without leaving a scar. Wait until the legislation comes up for a vote and then bombard your reps office.

Protesting in Sacramento will be about as effective as Occupy was camping in parks... You make a lot of noise and piss people off.

AyatollahGondola
01-04-2013, 9:07 AM
And the reason why you want to bring the gun control debate back into the lime light after its out of the news is? .

The gun control debate is OUT of the news? I'd have to question your location sir/ma'am. It doesn't appear that you're on this continent

Moonshine
01-04-2013, 9:29 AM
Check www.msnbc.com and www.cnn.com

Right now people are more concerned about whether Chris Humphreys or Kanye West is the father of Kim Kardashian's baby.

When gun owners protest it is considered a very threatening gesture to those who choose not to own a gun. Their perception is "this person is unhappy and this person has a gun"

We didn't beat Yee's attempted bullet button ban last year with picket signs and protests. We defeated it by calling and writing our representatives and shut it down in committee. A protest could get some people who were normally apathetic to call their representative and voice support for gun control. We're a minority in California and we need to do things strategically behind the scenes because the majority of Californians want guns to be illegal.

AyatollahGondola
01-04-2013, 9:44 AM

Right now people are more concerned about whether Chris Humphreys or Kanye West is the father of Kim Kardashian's baby.

When gun owners protest it is considered a very threatening gesture to those who choose not to own a gun. Their perception is "this person is unhappy and this person has a gun"

We didn't beat Yee's attempted bullet button ban last year with picket signs and protests. We defeated it by calling and writing our representatives and shut it down in committee. A protest could get some people who were normally apathetic to call their representative and voice support for gun control. We're a minority in California and we need to do things strategically behind the scenes because the majority of Californians want guns to be illegal.
I could argue that the Yee bill was pulled because of the upcoming election and tax vote. Pressure applied had a downhill run at that time. At least not an uphill one

Moonshine
01-04-2013, 9:55 AM
I think the Yee bill is going to be pulled again or at the most ban PPT and sale of BB equipped guns. The DOJ wouldn't add to the list because it would open registration. Yee doesn't want registration either and the state can't afford confiscation or a costly legal battle.

SB-23 has made California the hottest AR-15 market in the country. High California incomes and the taboo image of the "Assault Weapons" ban have created an environment where there are FAR more BB rifles now then there were "Assault Weapons" in 1999.

Sixtigers
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Do you have cites for that claim? I could use them.

dantodd
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
You guys can't pray before you leave the house?

and a 1:45 minute prayer. Must be asking for a lot.

FatCity67
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
I think you need to volunteer to become a C3.

CCWFacts
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
How about not having any protests? One minute of time spent taking a non-shooter to the range does more for our side than one hour spent going to a protest.

billmaykafer
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM

how does this equate with oral sex?

OHOD
01-04-2013, 12:56 PM
The point of the thread is how to go about doing something, not the specific content of the sample itinerary. Its not about a prayer or this or that. Its about how to go about thinking and putting together a concept.

sholling
01-04-2013, 1:44 PM
This is really more of a response post than a how to post, but sometimes response posts turn into action.

In response to pro-2A "protests" event threads.

As those in the thick of things will attest, donating to an organization that fights legislation can be more effective.
However, there is a time and place for protests.
Here is my view and an idea.:
You have a great idea there! Unfortunately no one outside of the 2nd Amendment Rights community will ever know the event happened. The media will not report it unless it's to accuse all those that show up of being racists. The media avoid the Pink Pistols the same way that they ignored all of the minority speakers at the RNC convention. If it goes unreported then as far as the public is concerned it didn't happen.

berto
01-04-2013, 2:31 PM
Interesting idea. An event with only 2A content would be little more than preaching to the choir. A "pro-liberty" event is more interesting but would have to include a variety of groups. Among those groups are some that many gunnies might not wish to associate with (think legal pot and gay marriage) or groups that aren't friendly to 2A. Does the 2A message get lost in the wash of a broader event? In the end does any type of event matter as far as reaching those not reflexively opposed to us?