View Full Version : Doyle's out as Riverside County Sheriff..Going to Parole Board

08-23-2007, 6:49 PM
Doyle's gone. Don't know who will get the job. Be nice if he or she was pro
CCW though....Good luck with that...

Riverside County Sheriff Bob Doyle, just one year into a stormy second term, is resigning to accept a seat on the state Parole Board, county officials said Wednesday evening.

Doyle, 54, of Murrieta, said that after 32 years of service in the Sheriff's Department, it is time to take a new path.

"I am going to miss the men and women in the department who get out there and do a fine job for the citizens of Riverside County. I know they will carry on," Doyle said late Wednesday when reached by telephone.

Doyle said Gov. Schwarzenegger offered the post during a meeting in Sacramento. However, the governor's office has not formally announced the appointment, which must be ratified by the state Senate.

Doyle said he hoped news of the appointment would be kept silent until confirmed by the governor's office, but when reached for comment Wednesday acknowledged he would be leaving the sheriff position.

Doyle said he would work to serve the county's interests on the Parole Board, which considers the release petitions of state prisoners.
Story continues below
Riverside County Sheriff Bob Doyle is taking a state job.

Supervisor Roy Wilson said, "I'm shocked. We've gotten along fine. There was no indication that he would consider a state appointment over his term as sheriff."

The county counsel will research the replacement process, and whether the Board of Supervisors is empowered to appoint an interim sheriff pending the next election or a permanent replacement to serve out Doyle's remaining term, Supervisor John Tavaglione said.

Doyle's resignation comes amid public clashes with Supervisor Jeff Stone and an increasingly public rift with District Attorney Rod Pacheco as he resisted some of their initiatives. There are widespread rumors that Doyle and Pacheco -- the county's top two law-enforcement managers -- barely speak to each other.