PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Anti-Gun Grandma Regarding the 2A

hardstatic
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
My wife's Grandmother sent her a package (yes, via the Post Office) with some anti-gun news clippings and a worrisome hand-written letter about her recent politically-charged Facebook posts regarding the 2nd Amendment. My wife stopped what she was doing and sat down for an hour at her computer and put together the following email. I thought I would share as it's quite well written and I believe reflects the appropriate tone when engaging in discourse with folks who lean towards more gun control. I left all of her goofy spelling errors unmolested (and yes, she uses 'assault rifle' where she should probably use 'assault weapon' - but this shows even gun owners can't figure out the language!).

Hi Grandma,

First I want to thank you for your letter and the articles. I appreciate that you have taken the time to read about the issues, and I feel that more people need to do this.

First a foremost, I believe out forefathers fought hard to include the right to bear arms, and I can say with every belief in my heart they did not intend for that right to be used only for sport. We lost a lot of lives trying to free ourselves from the tyrannical rule of the British and in the process of setting up a new government, wise men felt that it was important for the citizens have ability to protect themselves from the government if the balance of power should shift.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
-- George Washington

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth."
-- George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
-- George Washington

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson

I would say that the "RIGHT" to bear arms is likely not everyone's top concern, but the "type" of weapon kept and how it is used. Like most things in the government, the definition of Assault Rifle is pretty wide. Webster has it this way: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use. Some states define them by how rapidly the rifle can fire, some base it on the number of bullets the magazine can hold, and in CA they base this nearly all cosmetic parameters.

Now, let's take the AR-15. AR as many think, does not stand for Assault Rifle but for ArmaLite, the company that originally manufactured that style of rifle. It is, for all purposes, kind of a mean looking gun. Military style with out the military options. These rifles do not have a fully automatic mode, and for that matter, most actual military rifles don't anymore either. There is nothing special about the ammunition the AR shoots, and in fact it's a smaller round than many hunting rifles. This gun, as with most hunting rifles, handguns, and revolvers, will shoot as fast as your finger can pull. There is nothing about it that makes it more dangerous than any other gun. So why can't we have one? Because they don't like how it looks? Because we don't NEED it?

There's a loss of life resulting from DUI every 48 seconds, let's ban alcohol. We don't NEED it. That wouldn't go over very well.

Let's talk about crime, and not the crazies with mental health issues, shooting up public places. Your article references gun laws in Britain and how most "non-sporting" firearms have been banned. It is true that they can claim a lower murder rate in the UK, but their overall violent crime rate is quite high. In the US, however, our violent crime rate has dropped 50% in the last ten years.

When you are done reading this click here and listen to this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0&feature=player_profilepage

These horrifying shootings that have taken place, all in locations that were generally full of innocent unarmed people. These shootings are horrible statements made by mentally ill people. Why is it that we have armed guards at banks, state buildings, concerts, sporting events, some shopping malls, private schools, but we can't have an armed guard at our most precious institutions protecting our children while they learn? And for sure, my having a gun may not prevent a crime, but a criminal can and will get a gun despite gun laws and likely won't use it within the confines of the law.

Gun ownership is not for everyone I agree. With it comes even more responsibility. Knowing how to store it safely, maintain it, educate yourself on it's function (and malfunction), knowing the laws regarding your firearms... It's a lot to take on - if you are a responsible human being and take the inherent dangers seriously. We have guns at home now and we keep the in a very large safe. The ammunition we keep in another locked storage container. My children both have been taught basic safety rules when around firearms, and my son has been taught how to safely handle, load, fire, disarm, and clean our guns. My children will never know the combination to the gun safe, no gun is ever left out of the safe unattended, and there is no way a human could compromise the safe and access our firearms.

While my quotes may be gun based, I am far more concerned about the slow erosion of our rights. While it may seem unrealistic now, I stand with those who founded this nation and agree that we need to be prepared to stand for the rights we have... I don't want my children or grandchildren looking back at my generation and thinking,"If only they fought a little bit harder."

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin

I hope I don't come across a crazy fanatic, I just want people to think before making a knee jerk decision that will undoubtedly effect generations to come.
XOXO

DannyInSoCal
01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
You can kiss that next $10 birthday check goodbye...

safewaysecurity
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Your wife wrote that? Damn, she's a keeper for sure.

NotPukeGreen
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
I like it, well written and to the point.

EL_NinO619
01-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Does you wife have a sister? Good for you guys, no one needs a card with $10 bucks anyways. LoL

LoneYote
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM

maybe the sweater too?

PatrickRyan
01-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Its always nice to see logic and reason prevail in an argument.

Lil Bawbee
01-04-2013, 5:16 AM
Nice! Was there a response?

Mulay El Raisuli
01-04-2013, 8:31 AM

LOL!

The Raisuli

DTOM CA!
01-04-2013, 8:40 AM
We should all send similar letters to our elected officials (and anti gun friends).

dr16o49
01-04-2013, 8:44 AM
Nice! Hey I watched that video in the eamil. Nice video!! very interesting