PDA

View Full Version : My letter to John Garamendi

selfshrevident
01-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Just found out this guy was my new rep. Went from Wally Herger, a pro gun A rated-by-the-NRA republican, to this guy, a California certified democrat. yay. Well for whatever it was worth I wrote him a letter, and it goes a little something like this.

Congressman Garamendi,

I wanted to write to you to respectfully urge you to NOT vote in favor of ANY of the upcoming legislation in regards to gun control. The 2nd Amendment has been watered down enough already and these upcoming proposed bans on "high capacity" (which really are just standard capacity) magazines and "assault weapons" (which really are no more than semi automatic sporting rifles that just happen to look scary) will do even more grave damage to not only my rights but to everyone else's in the nation.

Sir I don't know you personally, but I have to believe that you are an intelligent man- I mean you're a US congressman! You cannot sincerely believe that the 2nd Amendment is about hunting. If you really think that, sir you must go and find your copy of the constitution and read it again, because the amendment is pretty clearly written.

Congressman Garamendi, neither my magazines or any of my semi automatic sporting rifles had ANYTHING to do with any of the recent mass shootings. I am a responsible gun owner who cherishes his right to freedom and self defense. I am also a proud service member and proud freedom loving American who had risked his life in defense of the constitution and this country, both of which I believe in with all my soul.

I believe in you, congressman, to make the right choice, to break away from your party's lock-step ignorance, and to defend our constitution to which you took a solemn oath to protect.

Do not support this toxic fallacy that is gun control.

Thank you for your time sir.

Next up going write to boehner. Going to call both offices tomorrow.

safewaysecurity
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
John Garamendi is bought and paid for. He will NEVER vote pro-2A.

selfshrevident
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
John Garamendi is bought and paid for. He will NEVER vote pro-2A.

Thought it was worth a try. At least I did something :(

EL_NinO619
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
He may be bought, but my friend the OP is not. Good job, I wrote Mr. Speaker last night. Here is my letter.

I vote Republican because I believe in most of the parties core values. Being fiscally responsible, self reliance and self prosperity along with the belief that it is not greedy to keep my money as it is to take someone else's hard earned money and Mr. Speaker I would be considered poor to many. I donate what little I can, but what I lack in financial contribution, I make up in loyalty at the booth and consistent "Foot" work. I love my Country and respect my party, but lately I have been just a little more than upset with the recent events on the hill. Not only has the GOP been lacking on what I considered our "core" values and bending which ever way the political wind blows to "work" with the other side. I can deal with not always getting what I want or feel is write for this country, I understand compromise, But Mr. Speaker there is one thing I will NOT compromise on. Our God given liberties and rights. This would include the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd Amendment was not a "right for hunting" it had nothing to do with Hunting. But it does have everything to do with protecting our loved ones and our country. With all due respect Mr. Speaker you cannot compromise with Senator Fienstein and President Obama and enact restrictions on a rifle from the mere fact it looks scary. You must not let any more unacceptable restrictions on law abiding citizen. Our rights are by no means a political bargaining chip. For some reason if there is some form of "compromise" that chips away at our 2nd Amendment and punishes law abiding citizen, and make us criminal's by a stroke of a pen. I promise you this, I will no longer send money, I will not socially campaign for the GOP, I will no longer cast my vote for the GOP, I will no longer call myself a Republican. And believe me when I say this, there are millions more who feel the exact same way. So please remember in this new year that it is a Government by the people for the People, and we will no longer be "ruled" like we are some subjects to people who THINK they know better. I thank you for your time and your service to our country and pray you don't forget who you work for, Because one more time of the GOP turning its back on us, no doubt we will do the same. And please inform you caucus of the following.

selfshrevident
01-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Nice letter El Nino

selfshrevident
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
I cannibalized a little bit from the other letter but here it is.

Mr. Speaker,

I wanted to write to you to respectfully urge you to NOT even ALLOW a vote on ANY of the upcoming legislation in regards to gun control. The 2nd Amendment has been watered down enough already and these upcoming proposed bans on "high capacity" (which really are just standard capacity) magazines and "assault weapons" (which really are no more than semi automatic sporting rifles that just happen to look scary) will do even more grave damage to not only my rights but to everyone else's in the nation.

Mr. Speaker- on this, there can be NO COMPROMISE.

Our constitutional rights are not bargaining chips, they are non-negotiables. You cannot reason with the anti 2nd Amendment, or the anti self defense types. It will not work nor has it EVER worked. They are going after the 2nd Amendment incrementally- death by a thousand paper cuts and you know this. This time it's magazines over 10 rounds. Next time it's anything over 5. Next single shots only, hand in your semi auto's. They will never be satisfied until the right is completely destroyed and meaningless, and we look like Britain or Australia.

Mr. Speaker, neither my magazines or any of my semi automatic sporting rifles had ANYTHING to do with any of the recent mass shootings, and taking them away from me or limiting my access to them (or any law abiding citizen) WILL NOT solve the problem of violence. I am a responsible gun owner who cherishes his right to freedom and self defense. I am also a proud service member and proud freedom loving American who has risked his life in defense of the constitution and this country, both of which I believe in with all my soul.

I believe in you, Speaker Boehner, to make the right choice and to defend our constitution to which you took a solemn oath to protect.

Do not turn your back on us Mr. Speaker. Don't allow the bills to reach the floor.

Do not support this toxic fallacy that is gun control, and please get your fellow republicans in line, ESPECIALLY those who are waning in support for the 2nd Amendment after the recent tragedies. Lead, Mr. Speaker- LEAD.

Thank you for your time.

JimWest
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Post his reply. If you get one.

selfshrevident
01-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Post his reply. If you get one.

I will post both of their replies as I get them (if I get them).

selfshrevident
02-16-2013, 9:15 AM
No surprise here.

Dear xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for writing to me to express your concern about the gun control debate in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As your representative, I respect the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms. Law abiding citizens have every right to keep and bear arms for uses like hunting, target shooting, and home safety. This discussion is not about taking away your guns.
This conversation is about getting guns out of the hands of felons, terrorists, and mentally unstable people and about making sure that weapons designed to maximize casualties on the battlefield are not used to maximize casualties in the schoolyard. Itís worth noting that almost all of the gun safety measures recently proposed by President Obama are already the law California. California already requires background checks on anyone who is buying a gun, whether that is online, from a gun show, or from a licensed dealer. California does not allow the sale of military-style assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
I am committed to protecting the freedoms enshrined in the Second Amendment. I also believe in the freedom of children to go to school without being slaughtered. I also believe in the freedom of families to go to the movies without being massacred. I know we can work together as Americans to secure not just the Second Amendment, but also the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Correspondence from constituents like you is very important to the work I do in Congress, and I thank you for exercising your First Amendment rights by contacting me. Gun safety is a vital issue in our district, and my office is closely following all feedback from the people we represent. Thank you again for writing in, and I hope to hear more from you in the future.
Sincerely,

JOHN GARAMENDI
Member of Congress

cr1ms0njyhad
02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
No surprise here.

Dear xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for writing to me to express your concern about the gun control debate in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As your representative, I respect the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms. Law abiding citizens have every right to keep and bear arms for uses like hunting, target shooting, and home safety. This discussion is not about taking away your guns.
This conversation is about getting guns out of the hands of felons, terrorists, and mentally unstable people and about making sure that weapons designed to maximize casualties on the battlefield are not used to maximize casualties in the schoolyard. Itís worth noting that almost all of the gun safety measures recently proposed by President Obama are already the law California. California already requires background checks on anyone who is buying a gun, whether that is online, from a gun show, or from a licensed dealer. California does not allow the sale of military-style assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
I am committed to protecting the freedoms enshrined in the Second Amendment. I also believe in the freedom of children to go to school without being slaughtered. I also believe in the freedom of families to go to the movies without being massacred. I know we can work together as Americans to secure not just the Second Amendment, but also the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Correspondence from constituents like you is very important to the work I do in Congress, and I thank you for exercising your First Amendment rights by contacting me. Gun safety is a vital issue in our district, and my office is closely following all feedback from the people we represent. Thank you again for writing in, and I hope to hear more from you in the future.
Sincerely,

JOHN GARAMENDI
Member of Congress

What a surprise, robo-reply! I got the same exact response letter. :facepalm:

furyous68
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Not only that.. but his facts on CA law are off. We can buy those rifles here. Either neutered in BB form, or in OLL form able to use already owned standard cap. mags.

What a tool.