PDA

View Full Version : CMP Garand

drifter001
01-03-2013, 5:30 PM
So i think i finally made the decision to go ahead and order a cmp garland. I will be going with a service grade Garand but i have a question on manufacturer. which do you guys prefer and which would you recommend? i was looking at either the SA garand or the h&r garand

Rickrock1
01-03-2013, 5:34 PM
Springfield

mosinnagantm9130
01-03-2013, 5:39 PM
If the date of manufacture matters to you, H&R are all post-WW2, Springfield can be either pre-war, wartime, or postwar.

drifter001
01-03-2013, 5:43 PM
thanks! also do you guys have any tips for getting one with a descent finish/close to matching numbers, etc?

mosinnagantm9130
01-03-2013, 7:26 PM
thanks! also do you guys have any tips for getting one with a descent finish/close to matching numbers, etc?

M1 Garands don't have "matching" numbers per se. The only serial number is on the heel of the receiver, all the numbers on other parts are drawing numbers IIRC. For one with all "correct" parts you would need a correct grade.

The service grade is what I'd go with, they look very nice virtually 100% of the time. The field grades can also be nice, but I don't think I'd order one of those unless I was at a CMP store and could hand pick it myself.

stevied
01-03-2013, 7:32 PM
Hra if you want a nicer looking rifle. Sa if you want ww2 production

drifter001
01-03-2013, 8:15 PM
awesome thanks for the info! the garand is my all time favorite rifle so i think its time to get one specially since i already have a 1911 too so might as well complete the set. any other tips for ordering?

M1 Garands don't have "matching" numbers per se. The only serial number is on the heel of the receiver, all the numbers on other parts are drawing numbers IIRC. For one with all "correct" parts you would need a correct grade.

The service grade is what I'd go with, they look very nice virtually 100% of the time. The field grades can also be nice, but I don't think I'd order one of those unless I was at a CMP store and could hand pick it myself.

t0kie
01-03-2013, 8:17 PM

+1, bottomline you have to have both :)

drifter001
01-03-2013, 8:22 PM
so not one but two garands??? hmmm very tempting hahaha

+1, bottomline you have to have both :)

pro-nra
01-03-2013, 8:32 PM
I wish I stopped at two. You have to have five to complete the basic sets as follows: WWII SA, WRA, post war SA, IHC and HRA. Of course there are many variation within the same group. Garand collecting is a disease Garanditis and there is only one cure, buy more Garand.
Like you I started with just one through the DCM a post war SA and I waited over a year to get it. Now I have more that I care to admit.

a308garand
01-03-2013, 8:34 PM
so not one but two garands??? hmmm very tempting hahaha

It all starts with the first one. Then another, and another.
You really need one of each, Springfield Armory WWII, Winchester, International Harvester, Harrington & Richardson...then get into the serial number variations, rebuild markings from Marine Corps and others depots...

Start off with a Service Grade HRA, that gets you a nice barrel with a post WWII receiver that has a good chance of mostly late version parts and little wear. This is not going to be the last CMP rifle you buy, its only the begining :)

drifter001
01-04-2013, 5:56 AM
thanks a lot guys! ive been wanting one for quite some time now so i think its time to cure my itch for one :D

It all starts with the first one. Then another, and another.
You really need one of each, Springfield Armory WWII, Winchester, International Harvester, Harrington & Richardson...then get into the serial number variations, rebuild markings from Marine Corps and others depots...

Start off with a Service Grade HRA, that gets you a nice barrel with a post WWII receiver that has a good chance of mostly late version parts and little wear. This is not going to be the last CMP rifle you buy, its only the begining :)

17+1
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM

The service grade HRA Garands that I've seen come from the CMP were really nice.

Orlando
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
A Service Grade is a Service Grade is a Service Grade no matter what the manufacture
Read the Grade description carefully and expect to get exactly that. If you get anything better it will be a bonus

Standard
01-04-2013, 2:02 PM
My first CMP Garand was a Springfield Service Grade and looked brand new. It was postwar.
I ordered another and also asked for a Springfield, as the grade really dictates the condition more than the brand.

drifter001
01-04-2013, 4:32 PM
sounds good thank you sir! i am stoked and cannot wait to place my order and wait for it to come in!

My first CMP Garand was a Springfield Service Grade and looked brand new. It was postwar.
I ordered another and also asked for a Springfield, as the grade really dictates the condition more than the brand.

Standard
01-04-2013, 5:19 PM
Waiting for it to come in really sucks :p
Just place the order and try to forget about it for a while.
Yes, this is impossible to do.

pro-nra
01-04-2013, 5:34 PM
We got it made today and spoiled by the fast CMP turnaround. When I bought my first once in a lifetime Garand through the DCM, I waited a very long time and forgot about my order till one day a packaged showed up that I had to signed for and it was a post war SA. It took over a year to get mine. Just wait and start loading some ammo for it and when it arrives, you are ready to hit the range.

drifter001
01-04-2013, 6:40 PM
yes reloading is one of the things i def will start doing too it is one of my new years resolutions! i will be doing 223, 308 (looking at getting a bolt action in that caliber) 45acp and 30-06. will it shoot reg 30-06 ammo or just certain types?

We got it made today and spoiled by the fast CMP turnaround. When I bought my first once in a lifetime Garand through the DCM, I waited a very long time and forgot about my order till one day a packaged showed up that I had to signed for and it was a post war SA. It took over a year to get mine. Just wait and start loading some ammo for it and when it arrives, you are ready to hit the range.

M1NM
01-04-2013, 6:50 PM
will it shoot reg 30-06 ammo or just certain types?

You'll want to find some mil surplus ammo or brass. M1s tend to beat up the brass and the commercial stuff seems softer.

Garandimal
01-04-2013, 6:59 PM
Service Grades are all good.

That said, why get a Ford made by Chevy. :D

I have all SA Service Grades ranging from a 1.0 M (DEC '42) w/ a new VAR Bbl., to a handful of Collector Grade metal and new bore 5.4 and 5.8 M's.

P.S. Takes Three (3) to make a stack. ;)

GR

brianm767
01-04-2013, 7:41 PM
SA for the first one, it is the original, then HR next.

siverson
01-12-2013, 4:54 PM
Hello Gents

I am looking to sell my M1 HRA Garand. Take a look and let me know if your interested. Incredible rifle.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=677336&highlight=hra+garand

gotshotgun?
01-12-2013, 4:59 PM
Honestly Silverson, your best bet is trying to sell to people who do not know about the CMP. All here know how to get a rifle of equal or better quality for $650 to our doors. Plus the surprise is worth quite a bit too.