PDA

View Full Version : Access to handgun registration info

PureNTS
01-03-2013, 6:26 PM
Here in the LA basin, Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich

( http://laist.com/2012/12/20/dear_la_...ty_attorne.php )

is going to be sending out a letter to all recent handgun purchasers reminding them of how to properly store their weapons.
Correct me if Iím wrong: I thought those kind of records were, by law, unavailable to anyone unless the person, or individual, was under investigation for breaking the law in some form or fashion. Then, and only then, were the records made available to law enforcement. No one gets access, and if they do only under strict guidelines.

Can anybody quote Chapter and verse in the California code where this is in print denying these fools access?

FYI; Hi! I'm a newbie and this got me going enough to join in and question their legal ability to do this. I'm not much on conspiracies but this strikes me as up there enough to seriously question it.

PureNTS
01-04-2013, 8:33 PM
This is disturbing. Here's a fight, worth having, win-able with the requested info, and here we are...

If this info IS obtainable by our legislature, for whatever reason they decide, is it also not possible for them, under a freedom of information act, to obtain a list of what you or I have and how many and turn it over to the media? You know, like they have done back east.

bwiese
01-04-2013, 8:36 PM
One way it'd have no legal problem is if they gave the letters to CA DOJ plus any postage/mailing costs and DOJ printed the labels from their DROS info.

cdtx2001
01-04-2013, 9:20 PM
One way it'd have no legal problem is if they gave the letters to CA DOJ plus any postage/mailing costs and DOJ printed the labels from their DROS info.

Somehow I don't think it's gonna go down that way.

john67elco
01-04-2013, 9:24 PM
I clicked your link and got this

PAGE NOT FOUND
We're sorry, but we couldn't find the page you requested. But we've got a few ideas you may want to try:
Email us about the problem
Search the site for "dear la "
Go to the LAist front page

tcrpe
01-04-2013, 9:32 PM
It is reasonable to assume that all DROS records are kept in perpetuity by the State.

To think otherwise is foolish.

Have a neighbor, friend, family member that works for FTB, IRS, DMV, the schools, the hospital, etc.? It is reasonable to assume that they have snooped through your records.

Fate
01-04-2013, 9:35 PM
Hope he doesn't send me one, because it'll go back marked RETURN TO SENDER with something very heavy attached. #internettoughguy

Hogstir
01-05-2013, 8:34 AM
I clicked your link and got this

PAGE NOT FOUND
We're sorry, but we couldn't find the page you requested. But we've got a few ideas you may want to try:
Email us about the problem
Search the site for "dear la "
Go to the LAist front page

Here is the correct link

http://laist.com/2012/12/20/dear_la_gun_owners_the_city_attorne.php

bangel
01-05-2013, 8:50 AM
I think law enforcement has access to the handgun DROS records just like they have access to DMV records.

The other night a local police department had a SWAT deployment due to a barricaded suspect armed w/ a shotgun. I was listening on my radio to the whole thing. At one point the dispatcher informed the officers on scene that there were two handguns registered in the suspects name at his address. The on-scene officers then questioned the family member of the suspect who said those pistols had been sold and were no longer there.

Not sure if the dispatcher just types a name into their computer to search or if they have to call someone at the DOJ or what. But it seems they have immediate access to DROS records somehow.

RileyBean
01-05-2013, 8:57 AM
Of course they can get it. CA DOJ keeps all handgun info. Any LE or similar can easily get it. It also may get "leaked" to the media, and might get published.

GrizzlyGuy
01-05-2013, 9:04 AM
Here is the correct link

http://laist.com/2012/12/20/dear_la_gun_owners_the_city_attorne.php

Since when are we required to report lost or stolen guns to the DOJ?:

The letters confirm the responsibility to report the transfer, sale, loss or theft of a firearm to the state Department of Justice. Our goal is to make sure that gun owners know that they must store their guns safely, keep them locked up and away from children and, if the gun is to be sold or it is stolen, the sale must be reported

donw
01-05-2013, 9:05 AM
never, ever, trust ANY state, city or municipal entity to do what the law says...it's that simple.

cdtx2001
01-05-2013, 9:07 AM
Of course they can get it. CA DOJ keeps all handgun info. Any LE or similar can easily get it. It also may get "leaked" to the media, and might get published.

I'm sure there would be some serious hell to pay if some news agency did that here in CA.

And don't think that some slimy media outlet isn't working on it.

Back on topic, how is the LA city attorney privi to that info? No one has committed any crime so why should that information be given to them?

Ammodog
01-05-2013, 9:10 AM
The Bolsheviks are pulling out all the stops to achieve their rule.

cdtx2001
01-05-2013, 9:11 AM
Since when are we required to report lost or stolen guns to the DOJ?:

The letters confirm the responsibility to report the transfer, sale, loss or theft of a firearm to the state Department of Justice. Our goal is to make sure that gun owners know that they must store their guns safely, keep them locked up and away from children and, if the gun is to be sold or it is stolen, the sale must be reported

Wait, we have to report all sales and transfers to the DOJ now?

Do they just make this sh** up as they go or what?

RileyBean
01-05-2013, 9:14 AM
And..... when rifles go that way next year they will know everything you have (except rifles bought before 2014).

xounlistedxox
01-05-2013, 9:37 AM
When I was burglarized in 2007 the Community Service Officer that came to my home to take the report on what was stolen was able to pull up every DROS on every pistol I had ever purchased right in her cruiser. That shows you how easily they can obtain such information.

Jack.Chris328
01-05-2013, 9:51 AM
It is possible and and has been taken to extent. Even though in the case shown in the link legislation was not passed to prevent it. I think that the information would be easily obtained even if there was legislation in place.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/1/another-double-standard.aspx

Kodemonkey
01-05-2013, 10:22 AM

If that happens, I think it will bring a whole new set of people into the fight. People I know that are gun owners that are apathetic to our civil rights cause will wake up when I send them a link with their name on it.

Hogstir
01-05-2013, 10:27 AM
While the police are able to access DROS records when investigating a crime, they should have to justify their reasons and not be able to use it for propaganda purposes.

Ron-Solo
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Access to the DROS info in AFS requires a log in into the system with your user ID and password. To get those you have to have had training on the system and agree to use the info for official use only. The administrators of the system can track every inquiry made by an individual. Unauthorized use is a crime.

That said, the AG sets the policy on use of the info. I don't trust her for squat.

RileyBean
01-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Access to the DROS info in AFS requires a log in into the system with your user ID and password. To get those you have to have had training on the system and agree to use the info for official use only. The administrators of the system can track every inquiry made by an individual. Unauthorized use is a crime.

That said, the AG sets the policy on use of the info. I don't trust her for squat.

Very true. But there are LOTS of people with access, and even more who know someone with access. Every agency does countless logins and searches every 24 hours. Audits are almost never.