PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember when Visalia Times Delta was going to public CCW permit holder info?

bobby7321
01-03-2013, 4:30 PM
You may remember this thread

http://550www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1089093#post1089093

Sorry to bring back such and old topic, but I bet most of you can understand why. As soon as I saw the articles about the paper in NY posting info on permit holders I immediately remembered this.

Unfortunately I am not able to see the old link anymore

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/BLOGS06/80324012

Which is frustrating because I asked the times delta about this on their facebook page (basically stated that the Times Delta was going to pull this same crap back in 2008) and this is what I got in response.

"That is not true. The Visalia Times-Delta has no plans now, nor did it ever, to publish such a list."

any of you net experts able to pull up a cached version of the page or other info on this?
thanks

Paul S
01-03-2013, 5:31 PM
was able to find the blog post by paying for the archive. Anyone have a way to publicly share the PDF? I am attaching it here. I'd like to hear their response after reading this, seems pretty clear to me. thoughts?

Unfortunately, in California it is perfectly legal to do so.

It was a result of a law suit by CBS against Sheriff Brad Gates of Orange County. The ruling came out in November of 1986.
From the L.A. Times:

Orange County Sheriff Brad Gates, who for years has refused to disclose information in concealed-weapons records, must make the applications and permits available for public inspection, a state appellate court ruled Tuesday in Santa Ana.

The 4th District Court of Appeal's decision was based on a state Supreme Court ruling six weeks ago in a similar case involving Los Angeles County Sheriff Sherman Block.

"The surprise would have been if the court had ruled the other way," said Assistant County Counsel Arthur C. Wahlstedt Jr., who represented Gates in the case.

Gates Expected Ruling

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-11-26/local/me-15388_1_supreme-court-ruling

bussda
01-03-2013, 5:57 PM
CBS v. Block preceded CBS v. Gates.

KarLorian
01-03-2013, 6:48 PM
Keep in mind that this precedent is what CGF has used to get the "Good Cause" statements from various counties. As unseemly as the publication of this info is, it is clearly stated on the Application that the info is part of the public record.

bobby7321
01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Oh I understand that its perfectly legal to do so. I guess we can just be happy that a list was never published. The recent events with the Journal just brought back memories of my disgust when I first heard of this being done locally.

FMFdevildoc
01-03-2013, 11:56 PM
I would hope the Visalia Times Delta would not be that shady. While it is "legal" due to some BS case law ruling it is still a very poor excuse for "journalism". Exposing CCW holder PII simply helps suit the god damned leftist agenda: expose, demonize, shame those "bad" gun owner people.

I would have never in a million years thought Visalia would get infiltrated that badly by the leftist KOOK mentality.

My family is from Visalia and I always remembered that place being VERY firearm & hunter / hunting friendly.

As I've said before, sometimes, I mourn for this great nation.