PDA

View Full Version : How to Make Char Cloth

Yehosha
01-03-2013, 2:23 PM
Came across this page (http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/charcloth) today. One of the best and easiest to follow guides, with lots of pictures, I have seen on how to make char cloth.

Very useful to skill to learn that makes starting a fire very easy.

Just make sure to keep it stored in an air tight container, since it will be ruined if it gets wet.

HDoctane
01-03-2013, 6:53 PM
i find that charing lamp wicks works way better than most cotton t-shirt material seems to not crumble apart when stored for the long term in fire kit with my flint n steel

11HE9
01-03-2013, 8:17 PM
I was curious and made some a few months ago. It was incredibly easy to make. I used some squares cut from old Levis, a Altiods tin and a Coleman stove.

Now I need to put togather a fire starting kit in a Altoids tin for my "Oh @#$% kit" :)

Decoligny
01-08-2013, 8:22 AM
I was curious and made some a few months ago. It was incredibly easy to make. I used some squares cut from old Levis, a Altiods tin and a Coleman stove.

Now I need to put togather a fire starting kit in a Altoids tin for my "Oh @#$% kit" :)

Another good thing to add to the kit is a couple of old film canisters packed tightly with dryer lint. It makes excellent tinder to catch a flame from the ember made by the char cloth.

JAvendan
01-08-2013, 9:06 AM
Another good thing to add to the kit is a couple of old film canisters packed tightly with dryer lint. It makes excellent tinder to catch a flame from the ember made by the char cloth.

i can verify this!

this past weekend i tested a Light My Fire fire starter on some dryer lint... and poof, it lit and burned very quickly.

i have added dryer lint to my kit.

joel

RangerJoe
01-08-2013, 9:20 AM
Came across this page (http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/charcloth) today. One of the best and easiest to follow guides, with lots of pictures, I have seen on how to make char cloth.

Very useful to skill to learn that makes starting a fire very easy.

Just make sure to keep it stored in an air tight container, since it will be ruined if it gets wet.

Looks like that website (domain) expired yesterday.

Yehosha
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Looks like that website (domain) expired yesterday. That's a shame. It had some great info on it.

86mcss
01-08-2013, 7:39 PM
says the site is down

11HE9
01-08-2013, 9:51 PM

I have collected (and tested) dryer lint from loads of towels... good stuff!! :thumbsup:

I also made some egg crate/parafin/dryer lint fire starters... they work well.

(my wife still thinks I am a little "off" at times, but she's starting to see the light ;) )

Decoligny
01-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I also carry a small container of CARMEX lip balm in my fire starting kit.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Carmex_Containers.jpg

If you need the tinder to burn a little longer, just take some lint and swab up some of the lip balm and you have a mini fire starter that will burn for at least a couple of minutes.

86mcss
01-09-2013, 7:50 PM
says the site is down

its up again haha

Gabriel80
01-09-2013, 8:03 PM
Cotton balls dipped in vasoline. I used an old prescription pill bottle to carry them.