PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - CA RKBA petition is on!

jnojr
10-16-2005, 5:34 PM
Updated information is now appearing on the official web site http://www.tacr.us/

The Unofficial web site, http://rkba.members.sonic.net/ will be updated soon.

The official web site reflects that signature gathering might begin around
November 21, 2005 with a goal of qualifying the Initiative to
appear on the ballot for the general election in November, 2006.
Signatures can be gathered for 150 days during the drive.

NO SIGNATURE GATHERING can take place before the proper start date.
Also, DO NOT GATHER SIGNATURES until we have verified that the petition
forms are properly worded and formatted. I will provide further guidance
on this point as soon as possible.

There are actions to take RIGHT NOW.

1) WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! We need "County Coordinators" for most counties, and we need volunteer signature gatherers in all counties!

2) Identify the major places where signature gathering will take place.
Gun stores, firing ranges, sporting goods stores, etc. Encourage them
to have their employees gather signatures and/or allow
YOUR volunteers to gather signatures. Contact gun clubs or other
organizations. Encourage them to enlist a member to work with you.
My experience is that having a volunteer at a business gathering
signatures results in about FOUR TIMES as many signatures as relying
on busy employees. If a business is willing to be listed as a location
for petitions on the Unofficial web site, let me know and I will add it.

3) Acquaint yourself with the "Instructions for Gathering Signatures"
on the Unofficial web site. We don't want to lose valuable signatures
through mishandling of petition forms.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. The more successful of
prior drives have only fallen short by about 15% of signatures required.
We can easily make up for that by getting off to a fast start.

C.G.
10-16-2005, 7:02 PM
Excellent! I am willing to do my part in my area.

jnojr
10-17-2005, 9:44 AM
Excellent! I am willing to do my part in my area.

For now, the best way to do that would be to email Dave at rkba@sonic.net If you can be a County Coordinator, that would be great... we have precisely eight so far :(

Charliegone
10-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Me too I live near a wal-mart so maybe I can get some signatures for the RKBA amendment. I think I will give dave an email.

jnojr
10-18-2005, 9:35 AM
Me too I live near a wal-mart so maybe I can get some signatures for the RKBA amendment. I think I will give dave an email.

That would be great!

And, honestly, we don't even necessarily need you to stand in front of WalMart. If you can and want to, great! But if you were just to make a list of gun stores, shooting ranges, clubs, sporting goods stores, pawn shops, etc. in your city, and then take a stack of forms to each and spend a couple of minutes talking to them about it, you'd wind up spending a couple of afternoons and could wind up with thousands of signatures.

Also, someone is contacting the gun show people to look into getting us tables. You and a couple of other people in your area could get into the show for free and take turns gathering signatures and wandering around! :)

walkerboh4269
10-18-2005, 9:56 AM
This is great! Please let us know when the petitions are ready.

I own a small business and I would be more than willing to ask people to sign while at work.

caduckgunner
10-18-2005, 1:05 PM
Maybe I am totaly wrong on this, but I had a thought:eek: . If this is voted on, and a majority of the voters vote no, is it going to give our communist legislature the ball to push to ban all guns in Kalifonrnia? Just a thought, I know things ar ebad not but i don't want them to get worse.

jnojr
10-18-2005, 3:23 PM
Maybe I am totaly wrong on this, but I had a thought:eek: . If this is voted on, and a majority of the voters vote no, is it going to give our communist legislature the ball to push to ban all guns in Kalifonrnia? Just a thought, I know things ar ebad not but i don't want them to get worse.

You think our Legislature needs any kind of excuse to pass more bad gun laws?!?! :)

I honestly believe that it will fail. We can take it as a given that the media will pull out all the stops... editorials and articles about the evils that would ensue passage, streets running with blood and lined with the corpses of schoolkids, etc. Unless someone can get a PAC together and begin actively soliciting donations, we won't be able to counter that nonsense at all. Most people blindly believe what they hear on the news. But, even a failure will, I think, be a step in the right direction... we'll have shown that we can get the measure on the ballot, and there will have been discussion and debate over it. Gun rights will no longer be an invisible issue, and the failure just might wake up the sleeping giant of California gun owners. They can live with "assault weapon" bans, waiting periods, bans on "Saturday Night Specials", etc. But something that's specifically telling them that they have no right to own their shotgun, deer rifle, or the handgun they bought to protect their family and business? They might get angry. They might realize the importance of paying attention and voting. They might start to demand action from their Legislators.

In any case, if we don't try, it's sure to fail.

booknut
10-19-2005, 8:00 PM
I'm on the list for Humboldt County.
I hope I can get my butt off this seat and get some folks interested around here and maybe in Del Norte County also (unless he has someone there already.).

I'm going to a shoot Sunday and I'll be taking this info there to see how many are willing to volunteer.

jnojr
10-20-2005, 1:52 PM
Way to go booknut! :D

This is how we're going to eventually win... not by a few people doing a lot of work, but by a lot of people doing a little each.

PanzerAce
10-20-2005, 2:53 PM

"the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Something tells me that a blanket ban on guns would go against this...

PanzerAce
10-20-2005, 5:22 PM
ah, but if they did a blanket ban, then they would still have to let you form a militia, problem solved. (almost certainly not that easy, but then, I dont expect a blanket ban would stand up in court)

C.G.
10-22-2005, 11:57 AM
"the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Something tells me that a blanket ban on guns would go against this...

California does not have the 2nd Amendment in its Constitution.

PanzerAce
10-22-2005, 4:46 PM
When there is a conflict b/w state and federal law, the federal law wins out IIRC. Also, Kali had to ratify the US Const to become a state.

blacklisted
10-23-2005, 2:24 AM
Couldn't anyone who is registered for the draft be considered a member of the militia? I know that the national guard is considered the militia, but isn't the real definition "all able bodied men between 17-45" or something like that?

jnojr
10-23-2005, 9:59 AM
Who really cares about "militias" anyway? C'mon, guys, that argument's been tried and trounced.

Instead of nitpicking about irrelevant details, how about joining the effort for this amendment? In California, we won't need any "militia" to freely exercise our Second Amendment rights if this passes.

AntiBubba 2.1
10-26-2005, 8:17 AM
Jnojr,

I've already contacted dave@sonic and gotten a reply, but I'm working close to 50 hours a week, and I can't run all of Sacramento County without a lot of help. The websites seem a little sparse.

So I'd like to try to get everyone in Sac County who's interested in getting involved, together in one spot for a strategy meeting-call it "coffee and Conspiracy" ;) . I'll even give out my e-mail address:

(removed due to long-standing struggle with paranoia)

We're going to have to have a solid showing in our urban areas to get this on the ballot.

UPDATE!!!!! Oct 28

I've set up a website for those in the Sacramento area, to contact us and get involved:

CaliKBA2006@yahoo.com

Unless, of course, you'd rather complain about PRK gun laws than do something to fix them.

jnojr
10-26-2005, 12:54 PM
AntiBubba - that's a great idea. I'm asking San Diego area people to join my SDShooting group... that's going to be a pretty big way for me to coordinate with others.

I'd say that's a good idea for any fairly good-sized population area... it's a great way to meet other local shooters, discuss local businesses, pass info on local sales and group buys, etc. It's free and easy to make a Yahoo group.

AntiBubba 2.1
10-30-2005, 3:47 PM
Don't everybody join in at once-the server can't handle it! :mad:

jnojr
10-31-2005, 7:33 AM
You begin to feel my pain.

I posted about this on CA-Firearms. Silence. I posted asking "What is wrong with you guys, let's hop to". Silence. But they have plenty of time and energy to post long rants about how the new James Bond hates guns. I blew my top and bailed. 500 Californians who are supposedly very active and interested in their 2A rights, and one volunteered. A couple of others emailed me, shocked at my outburst and asking what they could do to help. I never saw their names join the volunteers list, so I have to assume that lifting a finger was beyond what they considered reasonable.

And what really gets my goat is, if we manage to get this passed, these same people will be joyfully celebrating in the streets, shouting "We did it!". I almost hope that we get close enough to excite them, and then have this fail, just so I can rub their faces in it. Not the greatest attitude, but I'm only human.

But enough of that... I'm trying very hard to concentrate on the positive. We are slowly accumulating more volunteers. We're up to 22 now, representing most of the bigger counties. I know that some of the people up north will go ahead and spill their efforts over into neighboring counties, so we have some decent coverage. If we can get these petitions into every gun store, range, and club in the state, we should be able to get enough signatures that way, if enough of the customers were willing to take some forms to family, friends, and coworkers and then return them.

Of course, I keep telling everyone that qualifying for the ballot, while tough, is the easy-cheesy part. The Left will pull out all the stops to oppose this proposition, and the media will be right there making sure that they have all the free coverage and advertising they need. I really hope someone who knows how to go about it has formed a PAC by then so we can start hitting up manufacturers and such for donations, 'cause we're going to need money, and a lot of it.

AntiBubba 2.1
11-01-2005, 3:59 AM
jnojr,

I've had a few responses for volunteers, and we're going to try to meet soon. But, all I'm seeing is info about getting the word out about the amendment. I don't actually see the Amendment, the actual words to be put forth in the initiative. What'd I miss?

jnojr
11-01-2005, 9:28 AM
I missed it, too... it hides in plain sight! Just look at http://www.tacr.us/ on the first page :)

jnojr
11-02-2005, 12:58 PM
We need County Coordinators for a lot of counties. The ones in yellow have at least one Coordinator. The rest have none.. :(

http://www.reformcagunlaws.com/State-Coverage-caption.jpg

AntiBubba 2.1
11-04-2005, 9:16 PM
Saturday November 5th, at 7pm, there is a meeting at the Java City coffeehouse on the corner of 18th & Capitol. Please come out.

AntiBubba 2.1
11-04-2005, 9:19 PM
Do you think we can volunteers in Napa if we tell them the passage of the law would boost the sales of grape shot?

AntiBubba 2.1
11-09-2005, 5:48 PM
I went into Old Sacramento Armoury today to drop off flyers for Sacramento County's petition-signing effort for next years RKBA initiative. Guess what? The owner "never gets involved in anything political". Not even to stop those who would put him out of business. There will be no flyers in his shop.

I won't be in his shop, either. And I damn well hope none of you will go there either!

I'm calling for a boycott. This man is a traitor. We're good enough to pay his rent, but not good enough for him to support our right to buy guns. The Koretz's and the Lockyer's will put him out of business if they have their way. Let's just hurry that along-or get him to see the error of his ways.

HE SELLS GUNS. HE IS ALREADY INVOLVED-up to his eyebrows.

If you would like to let them know how you feel, contact them. Let them know you won't be stopping in anytime soon.

Old Sacramento Armoury
2215 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95816

(916) 446-7079 Fax: (916) 446-0722

oldsacarmoury@comcast.net

PanzerAce
11-09-2005, 7:23 PM
We need County Coordinators for a lot of counties. The ones in yellow have at least one Coordinator. The rest have none.. :(

jnojr, drop me a message at panzerace@gmail.com with a pdf or .doc of the petition/forms that you want in a gun shop. Im going to be heading over to the Gunrunner in Merced either tomorrow or Saturday (think they are closed for the holiday), and ill see if the owners would be willing to help out. Ill also stop by the other shop in town (Dont know the name off the top of my head), and see if they are willing to help. The gunrunner owners are almost certain to help, since all of the restrictions/laws are making them consider getting out of Cali

Also, I notice that you have to provide the volnteers (Mine or the Owners) Registered County and Residence. The only problem is that My Perm residence and Registered county is Santa Clara, But I currently live in Merced, any problem with this?

PanzerAce
11-09-2005, 7:32 PM
actually, I am worried by one thing. There is no mention about overriding CURRENT state laws on firearms. Now I dont know as much as I should about Cali laws and how this would affect them. I am thinking of all the POS laws we have right now, like the 10 round mag limit, ban on fully auto (that .22LR full auto got me thinking of this), the .50 ban, flash supressors, pistol grips....you get the idea.

C.G.
11-09-2005, 7:45 PM
jnojr, drop me a message at panzerace@gmail.com with a pdf or .doc of the petition/forms that you want in a gun shop. Im going to be heading over to the Gunrunner in Merced either tomorrow or Saturday (think they are closed for the holiday), and ill see if the owners would be willing to help out. Ill also stop by the other shop in town (Dont know the name off the top of my head), and see if they are willing to help. The gunrunner owners are almost certain to help, since all of the restrictions/laws are making them consider getting out of Cali

Also, I notice that you have to provide the volnteers (Mine or the Owners) Registered County and Residence. The only problem is that My Perm residence and Registered county is Santa Clara, But I currently live in Merced, any problem with this?

Panzerace, go to this link http://rkba.members.sonic.net/
then you can print out one of these Wanted Alive (just different formats)
Poster in MS Word format (http://rkba.members.sonic.net/wanted_alive_poster.doc)
Poster in HTML (http://rkba.members.sonic.net/wanted_alive_poster.htm)
Poster in PDF (http://rkba.members.sonic.net/wanted_alive_poster.pdf)
This is Wanted Alive poster asking for volunteers.
Disregards the petitions, they are the old ones.
While you are there you can sign up as well.

jnojr
11-10-2005, 12:08 PM
jnojr, drop me a message at panzerace@gmail.com with a pdf or .doc of the petition/forms that you want in a gun shop.

The forms aren't finalized yet. I've been told they should be done and the official signature gathering period should start in the next couple of weeks or so.

Don't worry... when that happens, I'll be re-posting everywhere with a new Topic line! :)

You could list yourself for either or both counties. The thing is, though, that we need to be sure that people sign forms for the county they are registered to vote in, and that would almost always be the county they reside in. Some places that are near a county line or "the only place to go for miles around" may need forms from two or more counties and people need to be signing the right ones, or the signature gets disqualified.

jnojr
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
actually, I am worried by one thing. There is no mention about overriding CURRENT state laws on firearms.

The measure says:

"All State government action regulating the right of law-abiding persons to acquire and possess arms for the defense of self, family and home shall be subject to strict scrutiny"

That means all currebt laws are subject to review.

lazyman
11-10-2005, 12:37 PM
soo, if we get enough signatures, does this mean it gets to be put on the ballot?

PanzerAce
11-10-2005, 2:31 PM
The measure says:

"All State government action regulating the right of law-abiding persons to acquire and possess arms for the defense of self, family and home shall be subject to strict scrutiny"

That means all currebt laws are subject to review.

I got that part, but what is the scrutiny process? are the laws under scutiny suspended untill they have been reviewed (I doubt it, but still *gets gas money to get to Nevada for AKs/ARs*) or is it that they go under scrutiny, and then if they are decided to be in conflict, then they are revoked? Thanks

Librarian
11-12-2005, 2:31 PM
I got that part, but what is the scrutiny process? Not being a lawyer, I might be all wet here, but I gather it works like this: First a law must be challenged in court. Then, if 'strict scrutiny' is the requirement for evaluating/interpreting a law, it means this:
Strict scrutiny is the highest standard a court applies in deciding whether a government classification violates a person's right to equal protection. To withstand strict scrutiny, a challenged classification must be necessary to a compelling government interest. The means chosen must be so carefully tailored that the action is absolutely necessary and no less restrictive means exist. Also, the government's interest must be compelling, not just rational or important. Courts applying this standard rarely uphold the challenged classifications. http://www.weblocator.com/attorney/ca/law/c04.html#cac040700

I believe a challenged law remains in force until ruled unconstitutional or otherwise voided, and all the appeals are completed.

PanzerAce
11-12-2005, 2:40 PM
hmmmm...so how long does that really take for all of the applicable courts to hear the case once its challenged? Im not even going to count the time b/w the passage and the first challenge, cause itll probaly be the same day as it passes.

shopkeep
11-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Count me in 110%. I'm more than happy to put in time. I was one of the people present at the SB-23 hearing when the exception was made for .22 caliber rifles on Pistol grips (my what a victory). Please note the sarcasm there... seriously though I am always happy to volunteer my time and my office to such a worthwhile cause.

perversity
11-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Is anyone collecting signatures at the Del Mar gun show in a couple of weeks? I'll be working. so I can't - but maybe someone can?

jnojr
11-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Is anyone collecting signatures at the Del Mar gun show in a couple of weeks? I'll be working. so I can't - but maybe someone can?

Yes, someone will be there. We don't know for sure that the signature gathering period will have started by then, but if nothing else, we'll pass out info.

just4fun63
11-17-2005, 3:48 PM
I sent in my name for the Fresno area to gather signatures, but I was wondering, has any one made contact with CRPA or the NRA or GOC you would think they would want to jump on the band wagon?:)

Victor
11-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Anyone going to the Vallejo gun show this weekend to gather signatures? I'm willing to drive out there and help if we already have a booth set up.

double_action
11-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Well, I just signed up to help out in Santa Barbara county.

Anyone else?

AntiBubba 2.1
11-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Shopkeep will be at the Fresno Gun Show this weekend, and he'll have a lot of petitions to be signed and distributed.

joel1316
11-30-2005, 8:53 AM
Any locations like gun shops that we can go to sign during business hours?

magsnubby
11-30-2005, 3:47 PM
Shopkeep will be at the Fresno Gun Show this weekend, and he'll have a lot of petitions to be signed and distributed.

We'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

Silverback
12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Well - I'm as short on time as anyone else but in the time I have I'm not finding a lot of support. One gun shop will allow petitions but will not make ANY effort to help. The other said put somethng in writiing and he will consider it. Those in the business are not too hot on this even though it's their business Lockyer would like to eliminate. This means standing around in front of Safeway or Raleys is the only option.:mad:

jnojr
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Well - I'm as short on time as anyone else but in the time I have I'm not finding a lot of support. One gun shop will allow petitions but will not make ANY effort to help. The other said put somethng in writiing and he will consider it. Those in the business are not too hot on this even though it's their business Lockyer would like to eliminate. This means standing around in front of Safeway or Raleys is the only option.:mad:

Unbelievable, but this is California...

Post who they are. Maybe having some people calling them asking why the reticence will help ;)

jnojr
12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Anyone going to the Vallejo gun show this weekend to gather signatures? I'm willing to drive out there and help if we already have a booth set up.

Ask Dave at rkba@sonic.net I know we weren't able to get a table at that show, but I do recall someone saying they already had a table and would be gathering signatures while doing whatever else they're doing.

jnojr
12-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Any locations like gun shops that we can go to sign during business hours?

We're working on a website that will help you find a local location.

We really need volunteers more than we need one signature, though... your taking a stack of forms to a few local gun stores and shooting ranges could bring in hundreds or thousands of signatures.

AntiBubba 2.1
12-01-2005, 9:15 PM
I stumbled into an Aisoft store this week, and they want a stack, too. Airsoft and paintballers will sign in droves; they know they're in the crosshairs too (Have you seen those electric M16 clones? :eek: )