PDA

View Full Version : Horse Shoes and Hand Grenades

DJW
01-03-2013, 1:01 PM
I have a friend that has inherited a gun collection from his father who as passed away recently. He was digging through some loading stuff and found a hand grenade in the box. He knows it is obviously illegal to posses. I am trying to help him find the proper way to dispose of it? Please let me know any "legal" ways of getting ride of it

Thank you in advance

FatCity67
01-03-2013, 1:05 PM
Here is a way

:cool2:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/beach-368875-residents-hand.html

tacocat
01-03-2013, 1:12 PM
I have a friend that has inherited a gun collection from his father who as passed away recently. He was digging through some loading stuff and found a hand grenade in the box. He knows it is obviously illegal to posses. I am trying to help him find the proper way to dispose of it? Please let me know any "legal" ways of getting ride of it

Thank you in advance

Dispose of it? Pull pin and throw.

Otherwise call the local sheriff or PD.

Are you sure it is real?

DVSmith
01-03-2013, 1:18 PM
DTSC has a list of places that accept explosives for disposal. You could call one of them:
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/upload/hwm_list_fireworks.pdf

Akers
01-03-2013, 1:19 PM
Isn't there a desert shoot coming up? Pull the pin and RUN! Or :Ivan:

All jokes aside, good luck.

RMP91
01-03-2013, 1:22 PM
Is there any way to permanently render the device inert? Depending what type of grenade it is and how old it is (Vietnam, WWII etc.), it may be a valuable historical artifact in the future...

I say render it inert instead of just flat out disposing of it.

bwiese
01-03-2013, 2:21 PM
DON'T F*CK WITH IT.

Contact attorney, explain position, he will arrange for disposal without legal issue.

Coded-Dude
01-03-2013, 2:23 PM
Pull the pin and throw the grenade.......your problem will be gone.

tcrpe
01-03-2013, 2:28 PM
Pull the pin and throw the grenade.......your problem will be gone.

Perhaps your arms and face as well.

donw
01-03-2013, 2:31 PM
do NOT attempt to de-fuze, or dismantle, it yourself unless you EXACTLY what the hell you are doing!

no matter the era of the grenade, it is extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing!

ONLY a trained EOD expert should tackle that task.

that being said...do you know the drill to throw a hand grenade? are you former military and have experience with grenades?

it's not likely to explode on it's own...but if you tamper with it...well...all bets are off.

make damned sure you leave the pin alone and the spoon (safety handle) securely in place. (we used a turn of engineers tape to secure spoons)

there is no such thing as a "Safe" hand grenade.

it's not too likely the local SD/PD will render it inert for you.

Coded-Dude
01-03-2013, 2:33 PM
Perhaps your arms and face as well.

fair enough...take safety precautions.

http://khrg.org/photoreports/2008photos/gallery2008/photos/b172.jpg

tcrpe
01-03-2013, 2:39 PM
Still waiting for the Horse Shoes . . . . .

Akers
01-03-2013, 2:40 PM

You have to laugh at that!

Manolito
01-03-2013, 2:42 PM
OK lets start with it is impossible to throw a grenade far enough to completely remove you from the injury zone. Second explosives are not like wine they do not get better with age.

Please do not try to make this item inert. I am not an attorney but just because you turn it in does not remove the legal fact you are in posession of explosives.

There is no feeling like yelling and throwing and have no bang. Then what do you do??
Leave it for some kid to find?

Can you tell I don't like them? I carried and used them but I do not like them.

Be Safe

donw
01-03-2013, 2:45 PM

dang...sure looks familiar...

they left the trip wire exposed...dead giveaway for experienced point man. (still very difficult to detect...even in daylight)

some of the more experienced would shorten the fuze so the grenade would detonate instantly in a booby-trap scenario...

stix213
01-03-2013, 3:11 PM
Do what Bill said to keep things on the level.

Through pull pin and throw would be much more fun ;)

unusedusername
01-03-2013, 4:53 PM
DON'T F*CK WITH IT.

Contact attorney, explain position, he will arrange for disposal without legal issue.

This is my opinion as well...

Between now and then keep the grenade far away from loved ones and expensive stuff (like your house)!

vintagearms
01-03-2013, 4:56 PM
DON'T F*CK WITH IT.

THIS. Do NOT contact the PD. Let the attorney handle it.

Root66
01-04-2013, 2:40 PM
If it's an old U.S. issue "pineapple" grenade look on the bottom to see if the threaded plug is still intact. If the plug is missing, the main explosive has been removed but the fuse might still be hot. The fuse will burn anybody in the vicinity of the plug hole but the grenade won't explode.

morfeeis
01-04-2013, 3:45 PM
Ocean pull pin throw and smile!