PDA

View Full Version : Are these guns registered in your name?

pdude
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
That's the question a BLM Ranger said. Wondered if that was a way for him to cite someone if he found something not legal w/in Fed/CA law? Though an answer that it was loaned (<30 days) would still be w/in the confines of the law.

He first said on Federal land we need to follow California laws as well which is more strict and then asked who owned the firearms. He looked at what was out and asked if anything else was in the car. He didn't care for the revolvers as was more interested in the semis and the AR as he said "oh good, you have the bullet button"

So is there something I'm missing of that question?

Also on Fed land if I was leaving with everything secure in my trunk, and he asked to look at my trunk, I figured I could tell him I don't consent to searches (even though BLM/Federal land). Unlike certain places like some military bases where by entering you're consenting to being searched.

Danz la Nuit
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
"I own these firearms (assuming that you do) legally and do not consent to any further questioning without the presence of my lawyer"

"I do not consent to any searches, am I being detained or am I free to go?"

Repeat as needed. Demand supervisor if agent ignores your question about your status of being detained.

8bAkzRrZ3as

pdude
01-03-2013, 1:00 PM
Even if some firearms are laying out on a table where we are shooting (legally on fed land) and some are in the trunk with the trunk open?

winnre
01-03-2013, 1:36 PM
Are there any gins you MUST show to an officer? RAW or NFA fireams maybe?

Librarian
01-03-2013, 1:47 PM
There should be no reasonable expectation that any long gun comes up as registered - to anyone - until 2114.

DROS will not start providing info to the state about make/model/caliber until 2014. Long guns not transferred after that time will not be in the AFS database.

And lack of an AFS record for a handgun isn't much more of a concern, though its date is 2098...

winnre
01-03-2013, 1:51 PM
There should be no reasonable expectation that any long gun comes up as registered - to anyone - until 2114.

I'll be dead then!

SickofSoCal
01-03-2013, 1:54 PM
I got asked this same question back in 2005 by a CHP out the middle of nowhere.

They've been doing it for a long time. After 1-1-2014, except to see a lot of stories.

victor1echo
01-03-2013, 3:30 PM
Why yes sir, these are my guns; and, can I take a few minutes to tell you about the glory of CHrist? Have you given your heart to Jesus?

cdtx2001
01-03-2013, 3:33 PM
Why yes sir, these are my guns; and, can I take a few minutes to tell you about the glory of CHrist? Have you given your heart to Jesus?

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!

johnny1290
01-03-2013, 4:04 PM
awesome
<3

capitol
01-03-2013, 6:18 PM
Next year when long guns are registered whats to stop a LEO from confiscating a rifle that doesn't come up in the current registration data base because it was purchased prior to 1-1-2014

Yugo
01-03-2013, 6:27 PM
Tagged

tuolumnejim
01-03-2013, 6:59 PM

DROS will not start providing info to the state about make/model/caliber until 2014. Long guns not transferred after that time will not be in the AFS database.

And lack of an AFS record for a handgun isn't much more of a concern, though its date is 2098...

There you go guy's plenty of time. :43:

SickofSoCal
01-03-2013, 7:22 PM
Next year when long guns are registered whats to stop a LEO from confiscating a rifle that doesn't come up in the current registration data base because it was purchased prior to 1-1-2014

Nothing.

People in this great state are already having their long guns taken becuase they were "not registered."

a1c
01-03-2013, 8:01 PM

Because the burden would be on him (or rather, the DA or DOJ) to prove that the long guns don't belong to the owner.

Handguns purchased prior to 1991 are not registered either. Cops don't confiscate them just because they don't turn up in a database.

Fate
01-03-2013, 8:18 PM
I had interaction with a BLM ranger last spring. He actually stated he wasn't interested in enforcing CA law when the topic of the bullet button came up. All in all it was a positive experience.

capitol
01-04-2013, 6:49 PM
Because the burden would be on him (or rather, the DA or DOJ) to prove that the long guns don't belong to the owner.

Oh this is not good. They will confiscate the rifle because "you" cant prove when it was purchased at the time of the encounter.
You will be responsible to show proof and I'm pretty sure there will be fees on top of fees to get your rifle back if/and when you do prove it.

I dont even want to think about how this ball is going to roll downhill