PDA

View Full Version : Signaling intent, Dem lawmakers offer gun control bill

Excelsior
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Is this the first salvo?

"Two leading gun control supporters in Congress are using the first day of the new session to introduce a ban on high-capacity magazines. Though the measure is unlikely to pass the GOP-controlled House..."

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/03/signaling-intent-dem-lawmakers-offer-gun-control-bill/

skyscraper
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
It's like they aren't even coordinating these efforts. These bills are going to come out of everywhere. I read in another thread that Feinsteins bill is coming on 1/22

madjack956
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Is this the first salvo?

"Two leading gun control supporters in Congress are using the first day of the new session to introduce a ban on high-capacity magazines. Though the measure is unlikely to pass the GOP-controlled House..."
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/03/signaling-intent-dem-lawmakers-offer-gun-control-bill/

At least one political party will try to fight to save our rights.

robcoe
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y

She does not have to "show intent" it is well known that she hates shoulder things, particularly when they go up.

tcrpe
01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
That news article was terribly short on specifics.

dustoff31
01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
It's like they aren't even coordinating these efforts. These bills are going to come out of everywhere. I read in another thread that Feinsteins bill is coming on 1/22

Actually they likely are coordinating these things. Bills such as this offer those anti politicians who realize that being an anti is politically toxic in most states a way out.

For example, one who says "I can't vote for Feinstein's ban bill because that will kill me politically" is told "OK, fine, vote against Feinstein's bill and vote for McCarthy's bill, that just bans magazines, so you can honestly tell your constituents that you voted against banning or taking away their guns."

skyscraper
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Actually they likely are coordinating these things. Bill such as this offer those anti politicians who realize that being an anti is politically toxic in most states a way out.

For example, one who says "I can't vote for Feinstein's ban bill because that will kill me politically" is told "OK, fine, vote against Feinstein's bill and vote for McCarthy's bill, that just bans magazines, so you can honestly tell your constituents that you did not vote to take away their guns."

True. Lesser of two evils. I think the D from Colorado may regret this one.

myk
01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
I just don't get the whole "shoulder things that goes up." I google'd the damn phrase but I still don't get WTF that idiot congresswoman is talking about? Did she really rip that from Predator?

SlobRay
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM

I wish that was a given, but we are talking about politicians, who's only concerns are controlling the peasants and getting reelected.

Ray

tcrpe
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I just don't get the whole "shoulder things that goes up." I google'd the damn phrase but I still don't get WTF that idiot congresswoman is talking about? Did she really rip that from Predator?

:rofl2:

Barrel Shroud, that shoulder thing that goes up . . . . . .

Someone post up the YouTube for this fine CalGunner.

9rGpykAX1fo

One of these:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s39p9Z-ju18/ULdXvGMOEoI/AAAAAAAADNM/hLoyRn6Sp-I/s1600/barrel-shroud.jpg

skyscraper
01-03-2013, 12:15 PM

She may have thought a barrel shroud was in relation to a shoulder stock, but who knows. The point was that she didnt even know what a barrel shroud was, and was trying to outlaw them. Barrel shrouds do nothing more than shield your skin from getting burned by a hot barrel.

Regulus
01-03-2013, 12:15 PM

The 1994 AWB was DiFi's signature legislation. Her legacy was sunsetted in 2004 and she has the politicians intrinsic desire to be remembered/revered for all history (or go down in infamy depending on your perspective).

It looks like a mad scramble to have your name on "The Big One", whether it be for legacy, re-election, or promotion to another (higher?) position, like Sec of State (Yeek!). It's much easier to get that position when people associate your name with something (anything) and when you can say you've done so much for the safety of our children.

dustoff31
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM

She's an idiot. This stems from a question from a reporter who asked her what a barrel shroud was, as she is convinced that it is some evil device.

She replied, "I don't know, it's a shoulder thing that goes up."

myk
01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
You gotta love a freaking cow that prattles on and on and doesn't even know what the hell she's talking about. Good job on the reporter for calling her out on it...

IVC
01-03-2013, 12:20 PM
The sooner the better, the more the merrier.

Let's see the bills start to die the slow painful bureaucratic deaths, so we can move forward, the panic subsides and the nice guns and ammo are back on the shelves.

Excelsior
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

She was/is clueless...

robcoe
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Yes, the Libertarians, unfortunately there are not very many of them

Excelsior
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
The 1994 AWB was DiFi's signature legislation. Her legacy was sunsetted in 2004 and she has the politicians intrinsic desire to be remembered/revered for all history (or go down in infamy depending on your perspective).

It looks like a mad scramble to have your name on "The Big One", whether it be for legacy, re-election, or promotion to another (higher?) position, like Sec of State (Yeek!). It's much easier to get that position when people associate your name with something (anything) and when you can say you've done so much for the safety of our children.

Yup!

SlobRay
01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
These assault magazines

Assault magazines really? I guess that's scarier than "Hi cap Mag"

These devices are used to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time possible

Wow, that's new, I thought magazines were used to hold ammo? Maybe these things are evil.

Ray

myk
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, I bet if you took a loaded magazine and hit someone on the head enough times they MIGHT die from it?

Coded-Dude
01-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Fixed that. They are only fighting to not further erode the second amendment(and hardly any are fighting to repeal current bad legislation - we are winning in the courts not congress). I have also seen nothing showing me that the party cares about any of your other rights.

LoneYote
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Yes, the Libertarians, unfortunately there are not very many of them

The Libertarian Party = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTCcrXf2buQ

SDgarrick
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Assault magazines really? I guess that's scarier than "Hi cap Mag"

Wow, that's new, I thought magazines were used to hold ammo? Maybe these things are evil.

Ray

kind of like assault vehicle or assault beverage.
"make sure you don't have too many assault beverages before you drive your girlfriend home in that assault vehicle"

cpatbay
01-03-2013, 1:04 PM
I think fast food is killing more of our kids than guns ... Just not as dramatic and fast!!

RMP91
01-03-2013, 1:40 PM
This won't even get out of Committee. The new Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, Bob Goodlatte is ultra pro-gun...

warbird
01-03-2013, 1:45 PM
I was sent a link to a Diane Feinstein article in Patriot@USA.com and it is interesting to say the least and her reasons for supposedly introducing all these anti-gun bills and why she will continue. People might want to research it and then back check the sources including the congressional record for yourself. Diane Feinstein is a serious danger to this country in my opinion and she is seriously intent on turning this country into a dictatorship.

Excelsior
01-03-2013, 1:47 PM

True. I think the desire for these politicos to get their name in the news is so strong that there's a race to introduce bills.

Feinstein's bill will largely be dead on release if she waits until 1/22. Then again, that might be the directive she has been given by the WH.

Wherryj
She does not have to "show intent" it is well known that she hates shoulder things, particularly when they go up.

I'm not convinced that Senator McCarthy has enough self-awareness to be able to form "intent".

stix213

Exile Machine carries a variety of 'shoulder thing' based products.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/rifle-44/shoulder-things-that-go-up-198/

LOW2000
01-03-2013, 1:56 PM
Already emailed my Representative. Going to start early and often expressing my lack of support for all of these bills that are coming down the pike.

donw
01-03-2013, 1:59 PM
what if the thing with the "Thing that goes up from the shoulder" were to go into congress and.....................:rolleyes:

IVC
01-03-2013, 2:03 PM
I think fast food is killing more of our kids than guns ... Just not as dramatic and fast!!

Hence NYC passed a ban on "assault capacity sodas". True story.

Cummins_Powered
01-03-2013, 2:19 PM

That is pretty awesome! :43:

Coded-Dude
01-03-2013, 2:20 PM
Vice President Joe Biden “guaranteed” that President Barack Obama will pass sweeping gun control legislation by the end of January, according to Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

“He said, ‘Tommy, I guarantee you, we’ll get it done by the end of January,’” Menino reportedly said at City Hall on Thursday. “They’re going to get it done.”

Menino, a leading gun control advocate, has been recovering from a myriad of health issues over the last two months, but said Biden has called him a number of times while he was in the hospital. One of the calls came after the Newtown, Conn. school shooting and concerned gun control, the Boston Herald reports.

“I understand the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms. But I don’t understand how young kids should be able to get guns,” Menino said, adding that Obama has “no excuse not to pass strong legislation.”http://www.theblaze.com/stories/boston-mayor-says-biden-guaranteed-him-obama-will-pass-major-gun-control-reform-by-end-of-january/

Good luck with that Barry.......lol

myk
01-03-2013, 2:22 PM

Heh, funny...

Moonshine
01-03-2013, 2:22 PM
Holy crap even my phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range is on DiFi's new AWB list!!!!

MXRider
01-03-2013, 2:55 PM
http://www.shootersxchange.com/images/accessor/full/349.jpg

Vlad 11
01-03-2013, 5:00 PM
The shoulder things were the first items snapped up and hoarded in this panic buy.

Good Luck finding a STTGU now

00Medic
01-03-2013, 5:01 PM
The sooner the better, the more the merrier.

Let's see the bills start to die the slow painful bureaucratic deaths, so we can move forward, the panic subsides and the nice guns and ammo are back on the shelves.

^^^^ This.

Let's get the show on the road so we know exactly what to fight.

MattyB
01-03-2013, 5:46 PM
The shoulder things were the first items snapped up and hoarded in this panic buy.

Good Luck finding a STTGU now

Im glad I got two last summer. They even threw in this weird calculator arm band thing. I have no idea what it does and they didnt either. Said the previous owner had a face that looked like a dangerous vagina and just screamed a lot.

Excelsior
01-03-2013, 6:02 PM
I don't think McCarthy and DeGette's proposed normal capacity magazine bill is by any means a probe for Feinstein and the WH. I just don't think their egos could wait any longer and the WH was silently happy to see them move forward.

If it should pass, President Obama will no doubt be pleased and he will still have some political distance from it. If it gets crushed, that distance remains and it's a pre-made excuse for the coming failure for DiFi's proposed bill. It might even be an excuse for DiFi not even introducing a bill.

I don't think President Obama wants anything to do with gun control from a political standpoint. In non-emotional times it has swung from being an issue that attracts votes to one that offends/scares voters -- of all persuasions.

"Gun Control 2013" is going to amount to little more than whiney saber-rattling sans another horrific massacre in the coming month or two.

CBruce
01-03-2013, 6:03 PM

Testing the waters maybe? Trying the least offensive gun-control measure first to see how much public backlash there is from it?

Now might be a great time to strike and strike hard.

Excelsior
01-03-2013, 6:04 PM
^^^^ This.

Let's get the show on the road so we know exactly what to fight.

The longer they wait, the weaker their chances become as the nation heals. Waiting might be a frustrating proposition but time is on our side right now.

Excelsior
01-03-2013, 6:09 PM
Testing the waters maybe? Trying the least offensive gun-control measure first to see how much public backlash there is from it?

Now might be a great time to strike and strike hard.

I don't think so. The 10-round magazine matter the very heart and soul of anything coming down the pipeline. If this bill gets crushed it does unrecoverable damage to Feinstein's coming efforts -- and that might well be what the WH wants.

The day to strike hard was the day following the massacre. This is Feinstein's life. Do you really think she needed more time to prepare? I think the WH wants this issue to die. They want a way to distance themselves from it without alienating any voters.

CBruce
01-03-2013, 6:15 PM
I don't think so. The 10-round magazine matter the very heart and soul of anything coming down the pipeline. If this bill gets crushed it does unrecoverable damage to Feinstein's coming efforts -- and that might well be what the WH wants.

The day to strike hard was the day following the massacre. This is Feinstein's life. Do you really think she needed more time to prepare? I think the WH wants this issue to die. They want a way to distance themselves from it without alienating any voters.

I mean might be time for us to strike hard. If they get a deluge of resistance to this, it doesn't forcast well for future bills

Abenaki
01-03-2013, 6:21 PM
I got a bad feeling that the Republicans are gonna toss us under the bus!

I am sick and tired of rhino's and Republicans that want to be like the Democrats!

I hope that I am wrong.
Abenaki

MattyB
01-03-2013, 7:36 PM

I am sick and tired of rhino's and Republicans that want to be like the Democrats!

I hope that I am wrong.
Abenaki

You aren't.

Expect the worse and make your plan of action to resist it.

vincewarde
01-03-2013, 10:47 PM

I think Pres. Obama would love to get Feinstien's bill on his desk - but I think Harry Reid may have set him straight, because he came out of a meeting with him talking about "multifaceted solutions". Translation: I do not intend to be tossed out on my ear in 2016, and that is exactly what will happen if I am seen to help that bill pass the Senate.

In addition, there is the House. All Republicans will be up for re-election in two years. How many of them can survive voting for a bill like Fienstien's? Probably none of them. They know that two years from now, the bulk of the anti-gun crowd will have moved on to other issue and won't be voting for them. They know that they made pro-2nd Amendment promises. And they know that we remember and we vote. They have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

I don't see her bill getting out of the House - but let's say it does. Day one, we file suit. We go for an immediate order preventing the law from going onto effect. If we don't get it, we appeal all the way up to SCOTUS where IMHO we almost certainly get it. Maybe the Heller 5 gets upset enough to fast track the case - but say they don't. At least some of that law (like the semi-auto handgun ban) is almost certainly in violation of previous rulings. My bet: everything but the mag limits gets struck down right before the mid-terms. Not a good thing.

I think you may be right. Support for gun bans is already falling. Why? Because we all are working through our collective grief. We may still be concerned - but the anger is not there (unless you were touched personally), which means you are probably thinking more clearly. People are returning to the "common sense" views they had before the media storm.

Actually, my greatest fear is that the anti-gun rights crowd would be more reasonable. That they would go for something more achievable - not the kitchen sink. Frankly, it may be smart for us to have a wishlist too, just in case they decide to go for just one thing, such as mag limits or NICS checks on private sales. If we are going to loose on something we should push for something we want, such as mandatory reciprocity for CCW permits where the state meets a reasonable minimum standard. Most people may support NICS on private sales, but they also don't understand why a permit issued by one state is not good in another, just like their driver's license is. Having an issue in our back pockets could either prevent their bill from passing or get us something we want.

The Wingnut
01-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Judging from the gesture she made, she was referring to folding stocks...although I've never seen an overfolder.

Excelsior
01-04-2013, 1:07 AM
I think Pres. Obama would love to get Feinstien's bill on his desk - but I think Harry Reid may have set him straight, because he came out of a meeting with him talking about "multifaceted solutions". Translation: I do not intend to be tossed out on my ear in 2016, and that is exactly what will happen if I am seen to help that bill pass the Senate.

Yes -- Obama would be happy to sign the bill but he (and others like Reid) aren't going to expend a great deal of political currency to get it done.

In addition, there is the House. All Republicans will be up for re-election in two years. How many of them can survive voting for a bill like Fienstien's? Probably none of them. They know that two years from now, the bulk of the anti-gun crowd will have moved on to other issue and won't be voting for them. They know that they made pro-2nd Amendment promises. And they know that we remember and we vote. They have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

True again. And like it or not, Americans are slowly beginning to reject gun control more and more. A horrific massacre might inflame things for a while but the nation does heal. It's not 1994 anymore.

I don't see her bill getting out of the House - but let's say it does. Day one, we file suit. We go for an immediate order preventing the law from going onto effect. If we don't get it, we appeal all the way up to SCOTUS where IMHO we almost certainly get it. Maybe the Heller 5 gets upset enough to fast track the case - but say they don't. At least some of that law (like the semi-auto handgun ban) is almost certainly in violation of previous rulings. My bet: everything but the mag limits gets struck down right before the mid-terms. Not a good thing.

The 10 round mag limit bill that was already introduced is likely to be crushed. When it does I'm not at all sure we will even see Feinstein's bill. If we do, I think it will either die in the House or it might even be filibustered in the Senate if there is enough will. No way would it receive a successful cloture vote to end the filibuster. I don't know if pro-gun senators have the resolve to do that though.

I think you may be right. Support for gun bans is already falling. Why? Because we all are working through our collective grief. We may still be concerned - but the anger is not there (unless you were touched personally), which means you are probably thinking more clearly. People are returning to the "common sense" views they had before the media storm.

Correct. All except the politicos who want publicity for themselves.

Actually, my greatest fear is that the anti-gun rights crowd would be more reasonable. That they would go for something more achievable - not the kitchen sink. Frankly, it may be smart for us to have a wishlist too, just in case they decide to go for just one thing, such as mag limits or NICS checks on private sales. If we are going to loose on something we should push for something we want, such as mandatory reciprocity for CCW permits where the state meets a reasonable minimum standard. Most people may support NICS on private sales, but they also don't understand why a permit issued by one state is not good in another, just like their driver's license is. Having an issue in our back pockets could either prevent their bill from passing or get us something we want.

The kitchen sink bill can and will be pared down in committee. The mandatory reciprocity isn't going to happen because they know that MANY Californians will simply seek a permit in another state. I think the pro-gun camp need to remain strong. There are ,many things it can offer to assist with (helping to craft a school safety plan for one) that will increase security for kids. But conceding on guns? No way.

Time will tell. Thing is slightly tilting in our favor right now.

Excelsior
01-04-2013, 1:11 AM

I hope that I am wrong.
Abenaki

It's human nature to whine during times like this. Consider remaining positive, join the NRA, write your three members of the US congress each week until the 22nd.

This "throwing us under the bus" crap sounds interesting and all but what exactly are you suggesting? Give us some concrete examples, please.

Sakiri
01-04-2013, 1:21 AM
kind of like assault vehicle or assault beverage.
"make sure you don't have too many assault beverages before you drive your girlfriend home in that assault vehicle"

Madagascar 3. Penguins. LRAV. Luxury Recreational Assault Vehicle.

Theseus
01-04-2013, 2:42 AM
I know this will sound kind of racist, but do you honestly think the first black President wants to go down in history as the one to also kill the 2A? It isn't very likely. The very people that were decrying him because he is black are the very ones that would rise up against him if he did anything remotely like an attack on gun rights.

Nothing Obama has done suggests to me he is an idiot.

I don't think he wants to touch it. That isn't to say that we should be complacent, just not too ridiculous.

Sent via Note 2 Lte

tiki
01-04-2013, 4:20 AM

Look at her picture. I think she is surprised anytime anything goes up around her.

Ford8N
01-04-2013, 5:06 AM
Fixed that. They are only fighting to not further erode the second amendment(and hardly any are fighting to repeal current bad legislation - we are winning in the courts not congress). I have also seen nothing showing me that the party cares about any of your other rights.

This^^^^. They had their chance when Bush was President and they had control of both houses of Congress, and they did NOTHING.. Heck, throw me a bone and get rid of 922r!

:banghead:

Judging from the gesture she made, she was referring to folding stocks...although I've never seen an overfolder.

PPSH43 :oji:

;)

fizux
01-04-2013, 5:42 AM
I know this will sound kind of racist, but do you honestly think the first black President wants to go down in history as the one to also kill the 2A? It isn't very likely. The very people that were decrying him because he is black are the very ones that would rise up against him if he did anything remotely like an attack on gun rights.

I don't think he wants to touch it. That isn't to say that we should be complacent, just not too ridiculous.

Sent via Note 2 Lte

Yes, he does. Just like the other "first black president" tried to do by signing the 1994 evil looking features ban.

This has nothing to do with race.

SanPedroShooter
01-04-2013, 6:30 AM
Yes, he does. Just like the other "first black president" tried to do by signing the 1994 evil looking features ban.

This has nothing to do with race.

HA!

GUNCONTROL2013 turns into KONY2012....

Alone, forgotten, and jacking it on a street corner somewhere.

TacoJockey
01-04-2013, 7:13 AM
Look at her picture. I think she is surprised anytime anything goes up around her.

:rofl2:

JDay
01-04-2013, 8:47 AM
We need to ban assault politicians. Nobody needs to be in office that long.

REH
01-04-2013, 9:21 AM
I agree that the Feinstein bill needs to be introduced now, so we watch it die. Iím sure most of the people who will be voting on this; remember the results from the 1994 vote. She had plenty of face time saying, it was the first thing she was going to do, on the first day of congress. I believe itís a tell. There may not be support from the key elements. Reid?

Excelsior
01-04-2013, 9:22 AM

Sent via Note 2 Lte

That wouldn't be allowed. That's why they try to slice away at it instead. If they had honor they would try to repeal or actually amend the Second Amendment but of course the outrage would be such that it would never happen.

TeddyBallgame
01-04-2013, 9:51 AM
Statements made by people like McCarthy, and her shoulder thingy shouldn't be too alarming...do you really think THEY do all the leg work and identify all firearms and their components? Surely NOT, they put their name behind a Bill, but, I'm sure they have a team of people in their office, who do all the research, and, put together their compilations of what is and isn't needed for our own good...obviously, one of her reseachers added the barrel shroud in the mix, and, she gobbled it up as an evil object

She is just the person who takes the credit, experience or knowledge not necessary...kind of like applying for a job at a car wash

She is also the person with the most experience at evading a direct question, when she knows she doesn't have the answer to something she is representing...I like how the first TWO times he asked her, she tried to go in a different direction, and, he came right back to it, until, when directly asked, she had to admit, she had no idea, of what, the very thing she is trying to make illegal, even was :) our government, hard at work

Strongly reminds me of that movie Eddie Murphy put out some years ago, The Distinguished Gentlemen...pretty funny, probably based on a true story too...;)

Anschiss
01-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm sure they have a team of people in their office

We need to infiltrate this team as interns and suggest/introduce ideas to ban "features" describing toy guns.

This new bill targets assault weapons which automatically fire when the bolt is pulled back and pistols that fire a loophole chemical compound H20 round known to soften bulletproof vests worn by law enforcement.

1859sharps
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM

I think this is one of those areas we should compromise. I 100% agree that "shoulder things that go up" have no place in our society. Lets ban them and we will all be safer for it.

It's a win/win. we show we are able to compromise, they get to ban something. we all go home happy.

WeekendWarrior
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM

Talk about a great website Easter Egg! Well placed in the site map too.

dvcrsn
01-04-2013, 11:38 AM

The shoulder thingie that comes up is a reference to her answer to a question from Tucker Carlson some years ago--he asked McCarthy what a barrel shroud was because she wanted to ban shrouds-her response was that a barrel shroud was "a shoulder thing that goes up":facepalm::facepalm:

aklon
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM

This is the politician's need for attention from the press. So what if the bills are uncoordinated? So what if they'll never pass? So what if it abuses the Constitution?

Just as long as I get my name in the papers!

Sakiri
01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I think this is one of those areas we should compromise. I 100% agree that "shoulder things that go up" have no place in our society. Lets ban them and we will all be safer for it.

It's a win/win. we show we are able to compromise, they get to ban something. we all go home happy.

http://www.nps.gov/spar/historyculture/trench-devices.htm

This is the shoulder thing that goes up.

http://www.nps.gov/spar/historyculture/images/Case_29.jpg