PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium as a source of water

Jel
01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Any of you guys ever consider an aquarium as a source of water in an emergency situation? For those that keep smaller ones that are say, 20 gallons and below, it might not make too much of a difference. But for those that have 1 or more larger tanks (55+ gallons), would you use that water for drinking/cooking?

I can't see it being any different than filtering water from a lake or stream. It does suck that your fish may die in the process (you COULD eat them if it came to it), but having that water would make a huge difference on top of what you may already have.

I know I would in a heart beat, but what about you guys?

SgtMerc
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Having owned 55gal tanks before, I can't see buying a tank as being cost effective for a SHTF event.

And if I already had a tank, I wouldn't need to consider it because I live two blocks from a coast.

Perhaps if I lived in the valley, or high desert.

Jel
01-03-2013, 2:20 PM
Having owned 55gal tanks before, I can't see buying a tank as being cost effective for a SHTF event.

And if I already had a tank, I wouldn't need to consider it because I live two blocks from a coast.

Perhaps if I lived in the valley, or high desert.

Not saying one should buy one specifically for SHTF. Only if you happen to have an aquarium with fish in it.

As for living 2 blocks from the coast, I'm going to assume that you are talking about seawater as opposed to fresh. How are you going to convert the salt water into water that is ok for drinking and cooking? Distilling it is the only somewhat easy way? Seems you would use up quite a bit of fuel if you had to go that route. However, I can see using seawater for flushing toilets and other duties besides human consumption.

I happen to have an old broken jacuzzi built into my deck (landlord doesn't want it being fixed), that I plan on somehow using as another water source.

Sanderhawk
01-04-2013, 6:23 AM
I think I would rather drink the water from my water heater or the toilet tank before trying our fish tank water. Just saying. Maybe I would try it right before I thought I was going to die from dehydration :)

mofojoe
01-04-2013, 7:55 AM
Filter and boil and GTG

nickel plate
01-04-2013, 8:54 AM
The late W. C. Fields once said when asked why he didn't mix water with his adult beverages, "Because fish f*** in it".

ElvenSoul
01-04-2013, 1:43 PM
Hook up some grow beds and get into aquaponics.

vortec_cruiser
01-05-2013, 9:18 PM
Water Bob.
http://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Water-Storage/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357449427&sr=8-1&keywords=water+bob

Gun_Owner_901
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Cook the fish and eat them, then boil they tank water and drink it, nether of those will hurt you.

IVth Horseman
01-06-2013, 6:57 AM
You could definitely do it, but I'd strongly recommend filtering for virus's and bacteria. Yes, it's similar to drinking lake or river water, but the ammonia and nitrate levels are concentrated in an aquarium. Not only will it taste bad, but the diseases and bacteria could potentially kill you.