PDA

View Full Version : OLL list: NORINCO MAK90 vs SPORTER

hellayella
01-03-2013, 9:56 AM
so i'm reading the OLL list and in CALIFORNIA, the NORINCO MAK90 is illegal and considered a assault weapon and on the ban list...However, the MAK90 SPORTER is not on the list...the guns are identical and what makes one illegal and the other one legal....

I have a friend out of state that has a SPORTER and wants to bring it into CALIF with him but will take out the evil features like thumhole stock...what will protect him against LEOs that don't know the law and think that a MAK90 is the same as a MAK90 SPORTER...

I told him it's better to disassemble the rifle and build on a new receiver and destroy the old one via B:confused:ATF way...

Librarian
01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I think you gave good advice.

The law turns on technicalities; the 'SPORTER' on the gun makes it not 'on the list'.

But to defend that if challenged would cost a lot more than the value of the gun ($900 back in October (http://www.armslist.com/posts/597089/frederick-maryland-rifles-for-sale--norinco-mak90-sporter-in-7-62x39-and-red-star-arms-trigger-and-2-spam-cans) - first one I found from near the end of 2012).

hellayella
01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
that's what i'm afraid of for him: some LEO may think that MAK90 and MAK90 sporter is synonomously the same and arrest u for having a illegal assault weapon and the burden of proof would be on u...

hellayella
01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
that's what i'm afraid of for him: some LEO may think that MAK90 and MAK90 sporter is synonomously the same and arrest u for having a illegal assault weapon and the burden of proof would be on u...

bwiese
01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
OP,

I would be very careful.

I can see models "xxxxx" and "xxxxx Sporter" being regarded as substantively the same gun
(make/model), with the 'Sporter' being regarded as a suffix or submodel of a listed make/model
and being substantiviely the same and only trivially different.

I can even see a "son-of-Harrott" case arising out of this, and having to run up the appellate
chain - it's a fight we don't need, esp at this time.

Your friend should go sell his MAK90 - he'll get a great price. He can buy another AK - one that's
truly and clearly 100% 'off-list', and render it CA-legal by either being featureless or using a
BulletButton-style maglock.