PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on the NRA, LA Times

Californio
01-03-2013, 8:37 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-carlson-nra-training-gun-20130103,0,3922926.story

While the gun control lobby is writing legislation, the NRA is providing individuals with more than rhetoric. Its power lies in its ability to tap into people's real and imagined fears to powerfully shape everyday politics related to crime, insecurity and policing in America something gun control activists may fail to fully understand and address.

VAReact
01-03-2013, 8:43 AM
Like! Not a bad read.

short circuit
01-03-2013, 9:01 AM
I think it is a balanced good article :)

bergmen
01-03-2013, 9:22 AM
Good article, bad photo at the beginning! It looks like the worst type of safe handling: finger on the trigger of an apparently loaded .357 revolver in an office environment. What the heck was that "instructor" thinking?

Dan

cleonard
01-03-2013, 9:31 AM
Kind of unusual coming from the LA Times. For a newspaper they are solidly on the confiscation side.

speedrrracer
01-03-2013, 9:34 AM
I disagree with the way she frames everything as a reaction to fear, whether real or imagined.

Its power lies in its ability to tap into people's real and imagined fears to powerfully shape everyday politics related to crime, insecurity and policing in America

I have car insurance. Would she claim I live in fear of a car accident? Medical insurance -- do I live in fear of some disease or injury?

While for some it may be fear-based, to generalize such a thing is full of fail. I hope the professors on her doctoral thesis committee don't let her get away with such weak sauce! :facepalm:

FastFinger
01-03-2013, 9:35 AM
Good article, bad photo at the beginning! It looks like the worst type of safe handling: finger on the trigger of an apparently loaded .357 revolver in an office environment. What the heck was that "instructor" thinking?

Dan

Magazine half empty much?

The bullets look like they could be bright yellow - most likely practice rounds.

http://i.imgur.com/DnCS7.jpg

Let's give the instructor and student the benefit of the doubt instead of criticizing a situation that we simply don't have enough info about.

Would that every new gun owner would take the time to go through training, and thank all those who take the time to train them.

TimRB
01-03-2013, 9:43 AM
Its power lies in its ability to tap into people's real and imagined fears to powerfully shape everyday politics related to crime, insecurity and policing in America something gun control activists may fail to fully understand and address.

I agree that the article is well-written and fair, but I do disagree with the above statement from it. I submit that gun control activists ONLY tap into people's fears and encourage action on emotion rather than logical thought. They fully understand this and exploit it with cool expertise.

Tim

bergmen
01-03-2013, 9:44 AM
Magazine half empty much?

The bullets look like they could be bright yellow - most likely practice rounds.

http://i.imgur.com/DnCS7.jpg

Let's give the instructor and student the benefit of the doubt instead of criticizing a situation that we simply don't have enough info about.

Would that every new gun owner would take the time to go through training, and thank all those who take the time to train them.

It would have been nice to have something in the caption to let us know this (practice rounds in cylinder). The color to me looks too close to copper for me to automatically assume they are practice rounds.

Sorry, no benefit of the doubt (and I don't do that with any real or perceived unsafe gun handling that I see in any form).

Dan

Mitch
01-03-2013, 1:21 PM
Wow, she's at Berkeley, too: http://jdawncarlson.com/

A.M.
01-03-2013, 1:25 PM
I like it too. Surprised they did that!

LooseCannon
01-03-2013, 3:17 PM
Ha Ha, how'd the editor let that one slip by?

CalBear
01-03-2013, 3:21 PM
Few antis care what the NRA really does. It provides a heck of a lot more than political clout. It's basis is as a training organization. It has taken up the role of political lobbyist because gun owners let the antis ream us for years, and we got tired of it.

TempleKnight
01-03-2013, 4:10 PM
Few antis care what the NRA really does. It provides a heck of a lot more than political clout. It's basis is as a training organization. It has taken up the role of political lobbyist because gun owners let the antis ream us for years, and we got tired of it.

More than a few gun owners don't realize what the NRA actually does. If you're not a member, you get your perspective from the media which for the most part spins the NRA story negatively or only reports part of the story.

lilro
01-03-2013, 4:42 PM
Just got my 2013 card in the mail today. Go NRA!

remington
01-03-2013, 4:45 PM
Two more from Bloomberg News:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-01/debunking-nine-myths-of-the-gun-control-debate.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-03/angry-at-the-nra-that-won-t-reduce-gun-violence.html

ScottB
01-03-2013, 4:49 PM
Its not an article per se. Its an opinion piece. Every once in awhile even the Times needs to throw out a little red meat to animate their reader base and also to have something they can point to and say their aren't a leftist propaganda rag.

smokehammer
01-03-2013, 4:56 PM
This isnt a pro-NRA article.

-if this is an attempt at sarcasm forgive me for letting it go *whoosh*

Jason P
01-03-2013, 5:56 PM
It would have been nice to have something in the caption to let us know this (practice rounds in cylinder). The color to me looks too close to copper for me to automatically assume they are practice rounds.

Sorry, no benefit of the doubt (and I don't do that with any real or perceived unsafe gun handling that I see in any form).

Dan

Jesus. NRA Training protocol makes no provision for ANY live ammo in the class environment. (excluding range time)

The rounds in a class environment would be practice rounds, because the option for live ammo wouldn't exist. Also finger in the trigger guard is step one of trigger control. Trigger control and sight alignment are the base upon which marksmanship fundamentals are built.

I think you have assumed a little too much.

Sakiri
01-03-2013, 6:11 PM

Dan

Doesn't look like an office to me. Looks like a public lobby or something.

And the ends of those rounds in the revolver don't look real. In fact, they look like dummy rounds.

And my vision isn't the greatest sometimes.

drifter001
01-03-2013, 6:21 PM
this really was a good read!

badicedog
01-03-2013, 6:36 PM
Good read, thanks for sharing

wurger
01-03-2013, 8:32 PM
Good read, but probably published to balance a completely idiotic OPEd piece from last week: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/28/opinion/la-oe-akst-arm-the-children-20121228

sandwich
01-03-2013, 9:03 PM
Two more from Bloomberg News:

Thanks for the 2 links. Good articles appropriate to this thread.

OP link was good, too. Thanks.

Lumpia is sarap!
01-03-2013, 9:41 PM
Awesome article! Thanks for posting.

bergmen
01-04-2013, 7:12 AM
Jesus. NRA Training protocol makes no provision for ANY live ammo in the class environment. (excluding range time)

The rounds in a class environment would be practice rounds, because the option for live ammo wouldn't exist. Also finger in the trigger guard is step one of trigger control. Trigger control and sight alignment are the base upon which marksmanship fundamentals are built.

I think you have assumed a little too much.

Yeah, now that I think about it I way over reacted. A little jumpy these days I suppose.

Dan

Cos
01-04-2013, 9:39 AM
Wow, is this a balanced article?
These kinds of statements serve to teach concealed carriers that their license marks them as a special citizen...
Really?

Jason P
01-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah, now that I think about it I way over reacted. A little jumpy these days I suppose.

Dan

LOL, damn that was rational. You're my kind of gun nut:) Cheers:cheers2: