PDA

View Full Version : sage EBR (pistol grip) garand a legal config in CA?

lorenolson888
08-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Is a sage EBR (pistol grip) garand a legal config in CA?

They sell a "CA Legal" version for the M1A and Garand i.e. full stock no pistol grip... but it seems that the garand being a non detachable mag gun should not be a AW? Is the En Bloc not considered a detachable mag?

Thanks,

LO

blkA4alb
08-22-2007, 11:48 PM
A pistol grip on an M1 Garand would be legal.

Prc329
08-23-2007, 12:01 AM
I could swear I read someone made a mag lock for an m14/m1a so we could use these stocks.

toolman9000
08-23-2007, 8:18 AM
Here's mine:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=57948

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9138/hrae21dv7.jpg

---

Legal beagle!

XDshooter
08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
That is an assault weapon!!!!!

A M1 Garand is semi-auto centerfire and has a detachable mag. It includes the en bloc clip under that section.

(d) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.

JawBone
08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
:popcorn:

Tweak338
08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
978.20 Definitions
The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant
to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(a) “detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device that can be
removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action
nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is
considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked
ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load
cartridges into the magazine.

You should re read that..

XDshooter
08-23-2007, 12:08 PM
978.20 Definitions
The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant
to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(a) “detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device that can be
removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action
nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is
considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked
ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load
cartridges into the magazine.

You should re read that..

I know that part all to well, so what's the word then?

Does part (d) override the 978.20 definitions?

Wow, more BS in the laws. I'm not surprised. :confused:

SigShooter
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
You must remember that an en bloc is not a magazine, nor is it an ammunition feeding device. The en bloc is used to load the magazine (which in the case of the Garand is fixed)

blkA4alb
08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I know that part all to well, so what's the word then?

Does part (d) override the 978.20 definitions?

Wow, more BS in the laws. I'm not surprised. :confused:

It means that the en bloc clips that the M1 Garand uses are not defined as detachable magazines, therefor the M1 Garand has a fixed magazine and can use the "evil" features.

Tweak338
08-23-2007, 12:26 PM
I copied that from here
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/sb23.pdf

It explains what Forward grips, pistol grips, flash hiders and detachable magazines are..

aplinker
08-23-2007, 2:00 PM
Garands are fixed mag. No different than a fixed mag M1A that you could then use stripper clip guides.

I gotta ask... Sage EBR on a Garand?? Seriously? I don't think it would even work without some serious modifications.

lorenolson888
08-23-2007, 7:18 PM
Thanks all for the replies...

The sage should work... the M14 M1A and M1 Garand are all so close... anyone tried one out?

I think I am going to get a CMP rifle .... two if there is no limit or a 2nd next year...

though i am concerned because Sage and their distributors call the full stock version the calif legal version... With so many items that are on the ragged edge of legality (but legal and non regulated nonetheless) a lot of businesses do not even want to bother with california anymore...

I had credit with a mailorder gun place a while back so I bought a boyds walnut M1 Stock set... I want to have one pretty one... (woodstocks) and one uglystick (EBR)...

The EBR will be for tactical longguns events!

Wish me luck...

LO

cseabass
08-23-2007, 7:21 PM
I could swear I read someone made a mag lock for an m14/m1a so we could use these stocks.

i have been working on one but i wasnt gonna sell it.

M. Sage
08-23-2007, 7:25 PM
That is an assault weapon!!!!!

A M1 Garand is semi-auto centerfire and has a detachable mag. It includes the en bloc clip under that section.

Dude, the section you quoted was from the "large capacity ammunition feeding device" ban. The detachable magazine section is different.

XDshooter
08-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Dude, the section you quoted was from the "large capacity ammunition feeding device" ban. The detachable magazine section is different.

Uh, no I didn't. Go read part (d) of 12276.1, for Generic Assault Weapons.

The thing is that the law mentions "detachable magazine" which is defined in 978.20.

Part (d) in 12276.1 defines "magazine", BUT that term is not even used in that section. Only "detachable magazine" and "fixed magazine".

If anything it is ambiguous and we would get the better meaning anyway.